My board looks like:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC00@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP01@1C/IOPP/XGBE@0
From which one extracts ACPI names and PCI addresses ('@'):
ACPI path PCI path
(base) \_SB PciRoot…
PC00@0 PC00 …(0x0)
RP01@1C RP01 Pci(0x1c,0x0)
XGBE@0 XGBE Pci(0x0,0x0)
(total) \_SB.PC00.RP01.XGBE PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

You already knew the PCI path, which is not the easiest to make sense of.
My board is also using RP01 it looks like. I'm not sure what to do beyond this. Any ideas?
You board has the same paths as the board the SSDT was written for, so you may use it unchanged.

Alternatively, you may use the PCI path to inject the relevant Device Properties through OpenCore, as shown by @casstsai. :thumbup:

For avoidance of doubt: Both methods are equivalent; use either the SSDT or properties in config.plist but not both.
Both inject 'device-id' and 'compatible' properties, for the driver to attach; further properties are cosmetic.

Patches to the driver are applied by the quirk Force AquantiaEthernet.

Ventura 13.0 success with Opencore 0.8.5 building a MSI Mag series Z790 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4, i7-13700K, 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance and a Sapphire RX 5700XT GPU.

It running quite nicely with no problems other than Bluetooth and AX210 WiFi Bluetooth module. I started to replace the M2 module with a BCM 94360 but I changed my mind and continued to install the mb in my Lian Li case. Changing the M.2 cannot be done without removing the mb, so I may tackle that at a later date. I have good Internet so I don't need the WiFi, anyway. I am happy with the system.
Hi, could you share your EFI? I am considering this board as well. Thanks!

I finally found the culprit is Above 4G Decoding, when I change it from Auto to Enabled, the second sleep hang issue come back again, disable it will be ok.

I swapped my CPU for a 13900KF, and using 4G decoding set to Auto does resolve the second sleep issue. Unfortunately, there is a new problem. My CPU cooler no longer responds to CPU load after the first sweep, so my CPU hits 100C and throttles during benchmark. Do you see this issue?

My CPU cooler no longer responds to CPU load after the first sweep, so my CPU hits 100C and throttles during benchmark.
How is the cooler controlled? Just by a 4-pin header from the motherboard?

How is the cooler controlled? Just by a 4-pin header from the motherboard?
Yes, the fans are connected to the CPU port and pump to CPU_OPT. It seems to work fine before it sleeps. I can hear both the pump and fans ramping up during the geekbench. After the first sleep, the fans just stay at idle, regardless of load and the CPU temp gets hotter and hotter.

I swapped my CPU for a 13900KF, and using 4G decoding set to Auto does resolve the second sleep issue. Unfortunately, there is a new problem. My CPU cooler no longer responds to CPU load after the first sweep, so my CPU hits 100C and throttles during benchmark. Do you see this issue?
Glad to know you solved the sleep issue. I'm using nzxt x63 cooler, all good, I set cpu & system fan mode to the PWM mode in bios. my pump also connected to CPU_OPT, I use liquidctl control it.

Glad to know you solved the sleep issue. I'm using nzxt x63 cooler, all good, I set cpu & system fan mode to the PWM mode in bios. my pump also connected to CPU_OPT, I use liquidctl control it.
I did some more testing and the CPU_OPT plug, when set to voltage mode, shuts off, even when on full power setting after sleep. If I set it to PVM, then the fan will stay on after sleep, but since it's voltage controlled, it just runs full speed. It's not the fan as more than one fan shows the same issue. The other fan ports don't do that, but they also don't seem to increase voltage based on cpu temperature after sleep. I have a workable solution by having the pump run full speed all the time and set the fans to about 50%. That keeps the temps reasonable, without being too noisy. I can't say I'm happy with it though as I usually run my fans at low speed when the cpu is at idle. Now I'm wondering if this board has some kind of defect. All my testing was in windows, so it's not something with my EFI.

I did some more testing and the CPU_OPT plug, when set to voltage mode, shuts off, even when on full power setting after sleep. If I set it to PVM, then the fan will stay on after sleep, but since it's voltage controlled, it just runs full speed. It's not the fan as more than one fan shows the same issue. The other fan ports don't do that, but they also don't seem to increase voltage based on cpu temperature after sleep. I have a workable solution by having the pump run full speed all the time and set the fans to about 50%. That keeps the temps reasonable, without being too noisy. I can't say I'm happy with it though as I usually run my fans at low speed when the cpu is at idle. Now I'm wondering if this board has some kind of defect. All my testing was in windows, so it's not something with my EFI.
Have you looked in console (macOS/Applications/Utilities) to see if picks up any errors after waking up from sleep?

My CPU_OPT is set to silent/auto mode. It seems strange that you have fan issue in windows, did you installed pump control app? For me I need to install nzxt cam in windows. I can control pump/fan speed. Did you try use liquidctl in macos to find you pump and control it?

Here is a benchmark and a EFI for the Gigabyte Z790 Aero G. I have two issues with this EFI. First is that sometimes during a benchmark, usually after the system has slept once, the benchmark takes a very long time, like 3-4 minutes, then the system shutsdown. This could be a thermal issue. I'm using a thermal take 360mm AIO. I can't get the temperatures to show with iStatMenu so I am running blind. I did some benchmarks in windows and hit 95C, so this guy is running hot. I need to explore under volting the system to see if I can cool it down. The other issue is the dreaded hanging when going into the second sleep. If anyone can take a look and give me some tips, that would be great. At least this could be the starting point for us Z790 users. The benchmark is impressive, and I am not using CPUFriend. I have DDR5 6200MHz RAM and using the XMP Profile.

Edit: Updated EFI to improve Ethernet speed by removing the Intel Kext and boot arguments so that it will use the Apple drivers. Make sure to have VTD enabled in the bios. I am using the F3 bios. I tried F4, but had the same issues with sleep.

Edit 2, 12/3/2022: Another updated EFI to include Thunderbolt ACPI setup for Titan Ridge add-in card. Make sure to have Apple VTD enabled. Use bios F3. Do not use F4 as the thunderbolt card is not recognized at all. Bios settings are also attached. I did implement a slight under volt to drop temps about 7 degrees.

View attachment 558842

Hi,

I had the similar issue when using VirtualSMC. My iStatsMenu won't show me anything. After some Google-fu I decided to switch to FakeSMC(3) and installed Intel Power Gadget, and now I can monitor the CPU temp and other metrics.

Do give it a try. Don't forget to back up your running EFI as a restore point. I used the following Kexts:
1. FakeSMC (directly under Lilu, #2 boot order)
2. ACPIMonitor
3. IntelCPUMonitor
4. RadeonMonitor

Edit: Also, your MB is probably "enhancing" your CPU. 13th gen CPU are known to boost to the absolute TjMax temp for the best performance. Try setting PL1 and PL2 to a more reasonable level. I have a 13600K, I set the PL1 to 125W and PL2 to 180W for a duration of 253 sec - It is running surprisingly fine on my NZXT 140mm AIO.

Besides, LGA 1700 has been plagued by uneven mounting pressure since 12th gen. So a possible fix is to buy a contact frame on Amazon. Do try the FakeSMC out first to see what kind of temp your CPU is idling at, it could very well be a mounting pressure issue - your cooler isn't making good contact with your CPU.

Last edited:
Back