Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Ventura 13.0 success with Opencore 0.8.5 building a MSI Mag series Z790 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4, i7-13700K, 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance and a Sapphire RX 5700XT GPU.

It running quite nicely with no problems other than Bluetooth and AX210 WiFi Bluetooth module. I started to replace the M2 module with a BCM 94360 but I changed my mind and continued to install the mb in my Lian Li case. Changing the M.2 cannot be done without removing the mb, so I may tackle that at a later date. I have good Internet so I don't need the WiFi, anyway. I am happy with the system.

I got mine running too using an EFI from another board, but when I add SMCProcessor.kext then it won't boot. I am flying blind without knowing CPU temps.

nottoshabby,

I am running SMCProcessor.kext v. 1.30 with no problem. what app are you using CPU for temps?

nottoshabby,

I am running SMCProcessor.kext v. 1.30 with no problem. what app are you using CPU for temps?
I'm using iStatMenus. It works great with my Z390 i9-9900k build.

I got it to boot with SMCProcessor, but still no temps for some reason ini iStatMenus. I'll look into some other options.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this issue? I can boot into Monterey. Things seem to work fine. I can run benchmarks. Sleep seems to work ok. When I wake it up and then run another benchmark, the benchmark sometimes takes a really long time, then the computer just shuts off. I tried a similar scenario in windows and did not experience this problem. I see the same issue with multiple EFIs....Not sure if is an issue with the EFI or bios.

Yeah this was a lot harder for me than previous Hackintosh's - was coming from an AMD 5950x that was really straightforward but it had been out a lot longer so a lot of work had already been done to patch Opencore.

I recommend installing Catalina first - there are a couple of good EFI's to use as a starting point in the Z690 thread around page 62 - CaseySJ and Leesureone posted. I ran into a big issue with port mapping so I made an SSD bootdrive for Catalina.
Have you tried USBToolBox? That's an amazing tool which can deliver full USB Ports mappature. It runs flawless on Windows 10 (or 11). It also create a kext (UBT.kext if I'm not mistaken), which is useful to create your own USBPort.kext. Just take UBT.kext/content/info.plist, open it with propertree (or any other text editor), copy your XHCI (or XHC...) section and paste it to the attached info.plist, the replace it into the UBT.kext. Then you should be good to go.
Here's an example with a couple of advices
Screenshot 2022-11-24 alle 17.26.31.png

PS: The port count Data needs to be the same as the last SS port (hexadecimal)

Attachments

• Info.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 85
I'm still having the issue w/ my Z790 Aero G where it hangs when going to sleep for the second time. I'm wondering if it is related to the Raptor Lake bios. I saw some other posts for Z690 gigabyte boards where the F20 bios which supports raptor lake also causes this problem. I have applied the ACPI patches from CaseySJs Z690 Aero G EFI, but no luck....

Here is a benchmark and a EFI for the Gigabyte Z790 Aero G. I have two issues with this EFI. First is that sometimes during a benchmark, usually after the system has slept once, the benchmark takes a very long time, like 3-4 minutes, then the system shutsdown. This could be a thermal issue. I'm using a thermal take 360mm AIO. I can't get the temperatures to show with iStatMenu so I am running blind. I did some benchmarks in windows and hit 95C, so this guy is running hot. I need to explore under volting the system to see if I can cool it down. The other issue is the dreaded hanging when going into the second sleep. If anyone can take a look and give me some tips, that would be great. At least this could be the starting point for us Z790 users. The benchmark is impressive, and I am not using CPUFriend. I have DDR5 6200MHz RAM and using the XMP Profile.

Edit: Updated EFI to improve Ethernet speed by removing the Intel Kext and boot arguments so that it will use the Apple drivers. Make sure to have VTD enabled in the bios. I am using the F3 bios. I tried F4, but had the same issues with sleep.

Edit 2, 12/3/2022: Another updated EFI to include Thunderbolt ACPI setup for Titan Ridge add-in card. Make sure to have Apple VTD enabled. Use bios F3. Do not use F4 as the thunderbolt card is not recognized at all. Bios settings are also attached. I did implement a slight under volt to drop temps about 7 degrees.

benchmark.png

Attachments

• EFI_Z790_Aero_G_w_TR_TB.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 358
  • f3_aero_g_z790.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I'm still having the issue w/ my Z790 Aero G where it hangs when going to sleep for the second time. I'm wondering if it is related to the Raptor Lake bios. I saw some other posts for Z690 gigabyte boards where the F20 bios which supports raptor lake also causes this problem. I have applied the ACPI patches from CaseySJs Z690 Aero G EFI, but no luck....

This is the same for MSI 690 boards. Try disabling fTPM 2.0 and using the power button to wake.

Back