Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

In that case still stick with the CML ig-platform-id values but also use Comet Lake CPUID - 55060A00. If you are using dGPU (which you should be) make sure to use 03 connector in front of ig-platform-id.
iGPU is switched off. There's no drivers for the UHD Graphics 750. So using MacPro7,1 as SMBIOS and a Radeon Pro W5500 8GB.

Just a friendly reminder that there is a lovely and fully functional “Z490 and Z590” thread here for all things Z490 and Z590:

There is also a caveat to turning on the all the P+E-cores and leaving out hyperthreading. It also changes in Mac Profiler to a 16-core Xeon W!

View attachment 534086
So what's the conclusion...best data you got in MacOS?
8p(no HT)+8e+16GBXMP: SMBIOS?
8p(yes HT)-8e+16GBXMP: SMBIOS?

I guess MacPro7,1+8p+8e+16GB+XMP?
I'd also run a Cinebench single core/multi core
Geekbench data seem...disappointing compared to Windows

It would be useful to run GeekBench in macOS with profile set to iMacPro1,1. Although USB 3 ports may go missing, I’m curious to know whether single core speed will reach 2000 or nearly 2000.

@ori69 reported single core score over 2000 with Big Sur and iMacPro1,1 and XMP disabled. 8P cores with hyper-threading enabled and no E-cores. (i9-12900K)

That is still the current high water mark on macOS.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I haven't check the speed since my USB 3.0 Samsung flash drive is pretty much almost dead from repeatedly flashing it so the speed wouldn't be a good reliable method. I got my SS ports to show up in IORegistry explorer. My recommendation for you all to get USB 3.0 to work is stop using USBinject all and just dual boot Windows temporarily and use this tool:

This allows me to see all usb 3.0 port all in 1 go I don't need to restart and mess with kernel flags to skip HS ports vs SS ports.

Then just copy the produced .kext file and load both UTBMap.kext (auto generated file from Windows port discovery) and USBToolBox.kext (URL here: https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext)
I agree

Well, 8P+8E makes 16 cores and MacPro7,1 expects a Xeon W-3200.

To summarize, MacPro7,1 works best and Windows performance is not a good predictor of OS X performance. (Let's hope that the ProvideCpuInfo quirk has no negative impact.)

It would now be interesting to test AVX behaviour (and power draw along the way).
With E-cores disabled, can you force AVX-512 in BIOS?
If so, does AVX-512 works in OS (Intel Power Gadget)? Does Photoshop (or other known offender on Ryzen) work normally?
And then, with 8P+8E, forcing AVX-512 off, and MacPro7,1, does Photoshop crash just like on a Ryzen system?
Does Photoshop work normally with 8P+8E on iMac SMBIOS?

Surprised..really? :)
to be totally honest, I was surprised that at the outset you said you would just be an armchair quarterback!!

I may have to drive over to a local store for AIO liquid cooler if my existing 280mm Raijintek does not fit.
you're lucky to have a local store. in Indianapolis, since Newegg closed their will-call service at their distribution center, and the demise of Fry's, it's strictly mail order for me.

to be totally honest, I was surprised that at the outset you said you would just be an armchair quarterback!!
You’re quite right. I had no intention of building an Alder Lake system after receiving the 14” MacBook Pro.

I was also doubtful of being able to boot macOS on Alder Lake and Z690. And we didn’t know whether both P and E cores could be used. There were a lot of unknowns.

But when this movie started, it played out much better than any of us expected. And that in turn has generated a lot of interest in the community.

macOS on Intel is not dead yet. And there is no desktop Mac currently from Apple that competes in this price-to-performance category.

If we consider the price of latest 14 and 16 inch MacBook Pros, we can only imagine how expensive similarly-equipped iMac Pros and Mac Pros might be. So Alder Lake is a viable option for the here and now.

Although I personally have no need for yet another computer, there is a strong market demand that we can help with. Therefore, on to the field pro bono.

Back