Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

i9-12900k, z690 Aorus Master, RX 6899 XT, Kingston Fury 5200 32 GB.
You may need to hook up a USB 2.0 header to a case with USB 2 ports. All the back panel ports of the Aorus Master are USB 3.2.

"Only USB 2.0 devices will work during installation. If your motherboard has a black USB 2.0 port, it would be best to connect keyboard and mouse to that port." CaseySJ

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Last edited:
i9-12900k, z690 Aorus Master, RX 6899 XT, Kingston Fury 5200 32 GB.

You may need to hook up a USB 2.0 header to a case with USB 2 ports. All the back panel ports of the Aorus Master are USB 3.2.

"Only USB 2.0 devices will work during installation. If your motherboard has a black USB 2.0 port, it would be best to connect keyboard and mouse to that port." CaseySJ
We can connect USB 2.0 devices (keyboard, mouse, and USB flash drive) to a USB 3.x port as well, but the device itself must be USB 2.0.

This is because USB 2.0 ports HS01 through HS14 will be available, but USB 3.x ports from SS01 to SS09 are most likely not available until USB port map is created.

We can connect USB 2.0 devices (keyboard, mouse, and USB flash drive) to a USB 3.x port as well, but the device itself must be USB 2.0.
Thanks for the clarification. So a USB 2.0 flash drive is needed for the USB installer when using back panel USB 3.2 ports.

Thanks for the clarification. So a USB 2.0 flash drive is needed for the USB installer when using back panel USB 3.2 ports.
The following should work in most cases:
  • USB 3.x flash drive in a black USB 2.0 port
  • USB 2.x flash drive in any USB port

@Elias64Fr

Just ran this test as follows:
  • Installed GC-Maple Ridge with 5-pin header
  • Added ACPI rename: _PTS to XPTS
  • Added new Thunderbolt SSDT V5
  • Confirmed that ACPI rename took place
  • Connected Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro and confirmed it works
  • Put system to sleep
  • Wake system from sleep
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro disappears from IOReg and does not reconnect after wake-from-sleep

Thunderbolt SSDT (LEFT) and DSDT (RIGHT):

View attachment 534379View attachment 534378
Have you tried removing on _PTS, condition on Arg0 > 5 ?

The following should work in most cases:
  • USB 3.x flash drive in a black USB 2.0 port
  • USB 2.x flash drive in any USB port
I could be mistaken...
  • Even if USB 3.x ports are not available (SS01 through SS09), a USB 3.x flash drive should still work in any USB port, but at USB 2.x speeds.
The key, however, is not to enable both (a) XhciPortLimit and (b) USBInjectAll at the same time when a USB port map SSDT is not present! Doing so can kill all USB ports.

Putting it together, we have:

View attachment 534376
The single-threaded difference with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS is quite spectacular, but, if I remember correctly, AppleXcpmForceBoost essentially puts the CPU on maximal power all the time and, even for Xeon Scalable, it recommended NOT to use it unless running heavy calculations 24/7.
Maybe running CPUFriendFriend on Alder Lake could give insights?

Otherwise, we may just recommend using iMacPro1,1 over MacPro7,1. The difference between the first and last rows in the table are hardly significant. Has someone investigated whether it is possible to map USB ports on iMacPro1,1 and OpenCore-RELEASE? That was the reason for the switch to MacPro7,1 as first intention.

Had the same issues spoofing both RX 550 and WX3200.
RX 550 must be the Polaris version and not the Lexa version.
The difference was made by using Whatevergreen ver 1.5.1 or below.
Above such version none of those cards devide-id get spoofed correctly. This regardless of the used chipset. All these chipsets work: B360, B365, Z370, Z390, Z490, X99.
While spoofing works for Whatevegreen version 1.5.1 and below it doesn't for ver 1.5.2 and above.
BTW I Use DeviceProperties and not a SSDT

Thanks very much for this advice. Recently I had problems with RX550 again. I did not realize that this was due to the new whatevergreen.kext. Now everything works.

... Has someone investigated whether it is possible to map USB ports on iMacPro1,1 and OpenCore-RELEASE? That was the reason for the switch to MacPro7,1 as first intention.
Fortunately there is no issue with USB 3 when using iMacPro1,1. The ports are hidden because 14 HS ports plus USR1 take up the first 15 positions.

iMacPro1,1 s a viable option.

Back