Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

That is causing a name conflict. Let's disable SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml for the time being. There's no harm in disabling it..
View attachment 553497

Hi CaseySJ

I am back... with issues. If you remember, I had my Gaming X Z690 giving me issues with an Ultrafine 5k and you tried to help me, along with @etorix . Well, now the LG works fine but I (still) experience random system freezes (as I described it earlier, the system works just fine and then, it could be anytime from few mins after boor up to 48+ hrs, it stops responding: mouse freezes every other couple of seconds until it just locks). Countless of times I had to reset it, and every time I did something different trying to get it fixed.

To be honest, I did the best I could do with my knowledge of the matter, but I couldn't fixit on my own:
  • first of all, I tried to do my own USB mapping using USBToolBox (win version) limiting it to 14 ports; I believe it did it correctly, but it was my first attempt to make it... on a side note, while I am pretty sure I limited my port map to 14 ports, when I enable the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-RP09.aml they increase to 16 giving me two extra Type-C ports
  • changed motherboard - my GX was an Amazon Warehouse product
  • reinstalled MacOS (again, and again on another drive too)
  • started a new OC config.plis
  • compared my EFI folder with @bestplay's and @felbo's
  • disconnected Ultrafine 5k, put it back, removed GC-Titan Ridge 2.0, put it back, removed MQUPIN BCM94360CD card, put it back
  • enabled and disabled any possible combination in OpenCore
  • disabled any sort of bios setting which could interfere (XMP, overclock and so on)
  • Tested ram throughly using memtest86 and TM5: ram is fine
I made some progress only in regards to the ACPI table, because one or two were not being loaded correctly; actually, you accomplished it without being aware of it haha. I used your SSDT-SBUS.aml and it went through

Is there a chance you could help me? I am going to attach a few files, maybe they can be helpful.

This system works so well… when it works.
Being desperate, I found a good deal and got a Z690 Creator but I am still in the return window; I need 64GB of DDR5 also which makes it less ideal as I already have 64GB of ram on my GX and there is a trade-off in the Z690 DDR5 platform between price, speed and number of slots occupied.

Also, I found something interesting about TB cables and Continuity, I'll get back at these later today (rushing at the moment)

Thank you for your time

Attachments

• boot.txt
    239.6 KB · Views: 31
  • EFI.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Hackintool USB.png
    Hackintool USB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
@m4rk0

First of all, thanks for the clear and detailed write-up.

First thought that comes to mind: BIOS version. Which version is currently installed? And have you tried an older version, perhaps 2 revisions behind the latest one?

@m4rk0

First of all, thanks for the clear and detailed write-up.

First thought that comes to mind: BIOS version. Which version is currently installed? And have you tried an older version, perhaps 2 revisions behind the latest one?
Hooray! Hi CaseySJ, thanks for replying.

I am on BIOS F8, which came out after F20a which, in turn, came out after F8b, if I remember correctly the timing of release. I see now that Gigabyte posted F20b, and got rid of F8b & F20a.

Not totally sure, but I believe I tried F8b & F20a; bestplay uses F8b on his build.
Would you find it useful to have a look at bestplay’s GitHub to see how the USB ports are recognised? Maybe there’s something completely off in my USB map?

UPDATE #1
I upgraded to BIOS 20b and removed the ITE chip off of USB map, building a new kext using Hackintool, so now there are 15 ports, spread across motherboard and Titan Ridge card (I should be well within the 15 ports limit per controller). Let’s see what happens

UPDATE #2
Hack woke from sleep and it's unresponsive, too. Must reset it

UPDATE #3
It locked again a few hours after boot, while I was using it. And again, almost straight away once I rebooted. Hammer?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ , do you have any idea after my last post? Apologise if I am bothering you...

Hi @CaseySJ , do you have any idea after my last post? Apologise if I am bothering you...
My bad; I've been tied up with installing macOS on the new AM5 platform with a Ryzen 7000-series CPU.

Let's pick up where we left off:
  • Which version of macOS are you installing?
  • Are you installing from scratch (not upgrading a previous system)?
  • Even on a brand new (from scratch) installation, the system locks up periodically even when no third-party apps are installed?
  • Or does it lock up after one or more third-party apps are installed?
  • Do you have Windows or Linux on this system?
  • If not, it's easy to flash Linux onto a USB flash disk and run Linux directly from the USB disk. Does Linux crash after some period of use? Most Linux distributions come with Firefox, so one can use Firefox to generate some activity on the system -- then see if the system crashes or remains perfectly stable.
    • This will tell us if there's still a hardware problem. If Linux or Windows also crash, then we can say with some certainty that a hardware problem still exists.
    • Otherwise, the problem is just in macOS.

It's October 20. I present the first test of Intel Raptor Lake under macOS.

Your Intel Raptor Lake i5-13600KF (left) versus my AMD Ryzen 7 7700X (right) :)
Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 22.20.24.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 4.16.49 PM.png

• Ryzen = 4.5% faster single-core
  • Intel = 13.7% faster multi-core
My Ryzen processor has been down-volted by 20 units and power-capped to 85W per this video by OptimumTech. This significantly reduces temperatures and power consumption while maintaining very high performance.

Last edited:
Your Intel Raptor Lake i5-13600KF (left) versus my AMD Ryzen 7 7700X (right) :)
View attachment 556370View attachment 556372

• Ryzen = 4.5% faster single-core
  • Intel = 13.7% faster multi-core
My Ryzen processor has been down-volted by 20 units and power-capped to 85W per this video by OptimumTech. This significantly reduces temperatures and power consumption while maintaining very high performance.

i5 vs Ryzen 7
$350 vs $399
DDR4 3600 vs DDR5 6000
3,5Ghz vs 4,5GHz

I think it's time to change the motherboard to one that supports DDR5.
The higher I clocked the memory, the better results I achieved.

3200 Screenshot 2022-10-14 at  03.50.54 .png

3400 Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 04.49.31.png

3600 Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 22.20.24.png

I think it's time to change the board to one that supports DDR5.
The higher I clocked the memory, the better results I achieved.
I am very happy that there is competition and diversity, because it gives us more choice.
Manufacturers should still work on lower power consumption. A model is the whole Apple Silicon series.

When are the Raptor Lake processors going on sale? I thought it was today but don't see any yet at Best Buy/Amazon/New Egg.

Microcenter’s got ‘em (in-store supposedly)

Back