Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Round 2!!! Let us attempt this once more.....

tempImagexDtfCL.png

You have exactly the same GPU as me! I don't even want to know how much it was! :)

Okay, does the Lian Li AIO liquid cooler have an LGA1700 bracket?
Okay, does the Lian Li AIO liquid cooler have an LGA1700 bracket?

YES it does.
I returned the Noctua kit. I specifically requested the LGA 1700 option however, it was not. I purchased the Lian Li.

Tony

Got my Gigabyte Aero G Z690 and opened up the built in Wi-Fi module and surprised to find that it’s an AX201 . I thought the M.2 module here isPCI-e so not sure why they would stick an AX201 in here.
@CaseySJ does your Aero have similar model ?

Attachments

• 7A089959-36AE-4709-BCA9-12B5AF00908F.jpeg
    7A089959-36AE-4709-BCA9-12B5AF00908F.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 56
Got my Gigabyte Aero G Z690 and opened up the built in Wi-Fi module and surprised to find that it’s an AX201 . I thought the M.2 module here isPCI-e so not sure why they would stick an AX201 in here.
@CaseySJ does your Aero have similar model ?
Yes mine is the same. Device ID = 0x7AF0 and IOReg name is CNVW. The block diagram shows connection through PCIe bus, and CNVW is a child of PC00. So maybe it can be replaced with Broadcom BCM94360NG?

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 6.00.04 PM.png

CPUFriend is good, but I would beg to differ. I found that in my tests, for my system it was actually the ProvidedCurrentCPUInfo setting that gave me best performance.

Take a look at this example. I achieved 20,444 points (highest so far) using just that setting with 8 P cores & 8 E cores (no HT). All on iMacPro1,1.

View attachment 534842

I did a test with CPUFriend on Cinebench R23 and found that it underperformed. This was done using CPUFriend & 8 P Cores + HT (E Cores off), score was 18841.

View attachment 534843

Here CPUFriend was turned off, using just ProvidedCurrentCPUInfo using 8 P Cores + HT (E Cores off). Score was 19683.

View attachment 534844
I've said it here before, don't use CPUFriend + CPUFriendDataProvider.kext provided here on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, it has injected frequency vectors from iMacPro1,1. You don't need to use the frequency vectors from iMacPro1,1 on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, it doesn't make any sense.

Round 2!!! Let us attempt this once more.....

View attachment 534855
Are you able to control pump speed through the AIO 360 in Mac?
I used previously a Kraken X63 modified with NZXT Kraken G12 to my Radeon VII, and it was easy to control temp, fan speed of the pump etc..It gave really my graphic card a new level..under high pressure the temp never reached more than 60 degree. I am wondering how the other cooling systems will work in Mac as I have not tried them. Nice set-up !

Are you able to control pump speed through the AIO 360 in Mac?
I used previously a Kraken X63 modified with NZXT Kraken G12 to my Radeon VII, and it was easy to control temp, fan speed of the pump etc..It gave really my graphic card a new level..under high pressure the temp never reached more than 60 degree. I am wondering how the other cooling systems will work in Mac as I have not tried them. Nice set-up !
Yes you can control fan/pump curve and LED using https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl

There’s a whole thread from this forum to use this

Yes you can control fan/pump curve and LED using https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl

There’s a whole thread from this forum to use this
Very nice. It is exactly what I used. Just one question, is it possible to use a cooling system for the GPU and another one (lets say even from a different brand) to the CPU and still control each one individually?

You only need 1 forum with a lot of good contributors! It seems you have that... :)
Indeed. From a Z590 Vision D thread, I found a link where vit9696 explains that the frequency vectors of iMac20,x cut Comet Lake to half power. The iMacPro has some more cooling power than iMac20, but its Skylake-W CPUs were custom parts with slightly lower TDP than regular Xeon W-21xx (up to 140 W).
The frequency vectors from iMP1,1 are the best we've found so far, but possibly still limit Alder Lake somewhat.

Last edited:
Back