Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

generic Alder Lake EFI folder v.8

What's new?
Updated from pre-0.7.7 to 0.7.7. DEBUG now also uses ProvideCurrentCpuInfo.
And that's it.

How to use
As with the previous releases, two methods, and two corresponding EFI folders, are proposed for installation, customisation and USB mapping:
  • DEBUG is intended to drop ACPI tables (for writing custom SSDTs) and other reports (PCIInfo.txt provides the PCI paths of devices… if you know the vendor-id/device-id to look for); it provides verbose output by default for debugging. This EFI is set with XhciPortLimit quirk, for old-fashioned USB mapping using Catalina or early Big Sur (11.2).
  • RELEASE is a more extensive EFI, with GUI. It is set with UsbInjectAll.kext for USB mapping under Big Sur 11.3 and later.
Pick a sample.plist, fill in serial numbers, adapt configuration according to your hardware and rename to config.plist. Then try to boot macOS and map USB as soon as possible: USB 3 will likely not work without a suitable map, WiFi/BT/sleep depends on a proper USB map and at least one board (Asus Z690 ProArt) is known not to work with more than 15 active USB ports.
If you feel lucky, you may use RELEASE as first intent…

Items to configure: Generally adapt to your hardware
  • GPU Uncomment (delete '#') 'agdpmod=pikera' in boot-args if using a Navi GPU (RX 5000 series, RX 6800, RX 6900; RX 6600 requires 12.1; RX 6700 is unsupported).
  • Network Set for Realtek 2.5 GbE by default, adjust if necessary. For Intel i225 enable one of the two entries under DeviceProperties by removing '#1-' or '#2-' (do not use both!). Broadcom-related kexts are present, but disabled by default.
  • BIOS All usual BIOS settings apply (Above 4G decoding, CFG Lock, VT-d, CSM, Fast Boot,…) though the defaults should be safe. With suitable options in BIOS, some quirks may be disabled—follow Dortania's guides. You may leave both hyper-threading and E-cores enabled.
  • CPU For "small die" Alder Lake CPU (non-K models with up to 6 P-cores and no E-cores), disable quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo (see here).
If you want to boot High Sierra or Mojave, change Kernel>Emulate to a Coffee Lake CPUID instead of Comet Lake.
Cpuid1Data <DE090600 00000000 00000000 00000000> should do.

Always carefully check the configuration!
In the absence of an official Dortania guide for Alder Lake, these folders are provided for convenience but I update them without actually having an Alder Lake system to validate, so there could be errors.

Post-installation
For further refinements (wake fixups, Thunderbolt AIC… for which SSDTs and kexts are present in the Release folder, but disabled by default) and more detailed instructions, refer to @CaseySJ 's Golden Build Z690 Aero G thread. His configurator screnshots apply equally to these EFIs.
Also consider enabling security, including setting MinDate and MinVersion under UEFI>APFS.

To build your own EFI folder from scratch
Follow Dortania's guide for Comet Lake with a few modifications.
  • ACPI: use SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml instead of SSDT-PLUG.aml
    (or my own SSDT-CPUR-Z690.aml, if you prefer; detailed explanations on this SSDT are here, and it then teams with a custom SSDT-PLUG to the fake objects in SSDT-CPUR—SSDT-PLUG-ALT combines both functions in one single SSDT);
  • Kernel: CPUID spoof to Comet Lake
    Cpuid1Data <55060A00 00000000 00000000 00000000>
    Cpuid1Mask <FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000>
    and enable quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo to use Alder Lake hybrid architecture under macOS (requires OpenCore 0.7.7 or later; with earlier versions, disable either hyper-threading or E-cores in BIOS);
  • Kexts: for better CPU management, use CPUFriend.kext and the companion data provider here;
  • PlatformInfo: Alder Lake iGPU is unsupported, so use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1; the latter further requires RestrictEvents.kext.
Happy hackintoshing!

Update (220118): Added indication for non-K Alder Lake.

Attachments

• OC-076-Z690-V8.zip
    17.2 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Is AppleVTD enabled (it will appear near the top of IORegistryExplorer if enabled)?

If so, try disabling it by not deleting and replacing the standard DMAR table.
Where do i find IORegistry explorer?

Can you describe what you did to get you high Sierra, or post config.plist or the entire EFI?

Here's the specific CPU ID patch I added to allow High Sierra to boot:
Code:
<key>Emulate</key>
<dict>
  <key>Cpuid1Data</key>
  <data>6wYIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
  <key>Cpuid1Mask</key>
  <data>/////wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
  <key>DummyPowerManagement</key>
  <false/>
  <key>MaxKernel</key>
  <string></string>
  <key>MinKernel</key>
  <string>17.0.0</string>
</dict>

Other than that, I originally changed my BIOS settings to disable either the E cores or HT so that macOS saw its expected number of cores. However, I am now using the patches from @ccx4700 successfully with all 24 threads enabled!
Oh, one other note- I don't know if the installer actually works, as I transplanted the SSD and OS install from my previous system.

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I've been following this thread eagerly for a month or so planning my own build.
Finally received all the parts and began in earnest. This is my second OC build, previously having an asus z390i/9900kf.

My current EFI is based on a previous users MSI z690a board. After multiple attempts with various EFIs graciously shared in this thread, this version seems to get me the furthest.

Issue is:

I can get through the boot process into Monterrey 12.1, but the computer freezes every time without exception after a minute or two of use in OS. Not black screen, just freeze in mac os and need to hold the power button to reset.

Can anyone point me in a direction to address this? I see some suggestions in searches that this may be TSCSync issue? Shot in the dark as I am not sure where to begin.

Or is this usb mapping issue?

Please see my current EFI shared here. Any direction on debugging or way forward appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• MSI Z690i EFI OC 0.7.7.zip
    38.6 MB · Views: 46
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I've been following this thread eagerly for a month or so planning my own build.
Finally received all the parts and began in earnest. This is my second OC build, previously having an asus z390i/9900kf.

My current EFI is based on a previous users MSI z690a board. After multiple attempts with various EFIs graciously shared in this thread, this version seems to get me the furthest.

Issue is:

I can get through the boot process into Monterrey 12.1, but the computer freezes every time without exception after a minute or two of use in OS. Not black screen, just freeze in mac os and need to hold the power button to reset.

Can anyone point me in a direction to address this? I see some suggestions in searches that this may be TSCSync issue? Shot in the dark as I am not sure where to begin.

Or is this usb mapping issue?

Please see my current EFI shared here. Any direction on debugging or way forward appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Ouch, lots of problems with USB port mapping:
  • If you use SSDT-UIAC.aml with USBInjectAll.kext, you must disable all other USB port map kexts (the ones in green box below).
  • If you want to use the USB port kext (and not the SSDT) then:
    • Disable SSDT-UIAC.aml and USBInjectAll.kext
    • Enable only Option 1 or Option 2:
      • Option 1:
        • Enable USBPorts.kext and disable everything else in green box.
      • Option 2:
        • Enable both USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext but disable USBPorts.kext
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.50.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.49.58 PM.png

Next question:
  • Which version of macOS are you installing?
  • If you're installing Monterey you cannot use IntelBluetoothInjector.kext. Instead, you must download and use BlueToolFixup.kext. But IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext is still needed. However, Intel Bluetooth does not work in Monterey at this time. It's a known problem.

Last edited:
yea me too. Thank you for all the help so far! it's my first Opencore build coming from clover. does the system only saying 8 cores mean Im getting half power? it seams Pretty Powerful. another issue Im encountering is that im trying connect my 8tb exo hard drive and it fails to boot when connected also i have 2 other mac ssds and 1 windows ssd and i cant get them to show up on Opencore. i can boot windows on its own but not from OC and the other 2 idk what is going on yet. any leads there? CPUFriend and CPUFriendfriend are these kext files? im going to share a few benchmarks tomorrow.
The reason for that is because under my EFI, under the Misc > Security > Scan Policy I have set it to only show up the macOS partition using 983299. If you want to see all the drives you need to set the policy to 0.

As for booting Windows on the Asus, the way to do it would be to press F8 at the start of your bootup. That is how I have set it up.

Disable wake on lan and power nap in settings, after that sleep will work. You have USB Map done with 15 limit included ( I have same on my rig and all is OK). For shut down/restart read this: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/misc/shutdown.html.
I am still having the same problem, even after unchecking those options in System Preferences.
Moreover, I managed to break my Ethernet connection… It now shows me the “cable is unplugged” error in System Preferences -> Network. I don’t know what I did wrong, but this is what happened: the Windows SSD was showing as “Untitled” in Mac, so I watched a short video about how to remedy that and then booted up in Windows to change the name of the drive using Disk Manager. All went well, it’s just an easy rename; and then I noticed the time in Windows was wrong, so I went into the registry to create the RealTimeIsUniversal D-Word (value 1) in and that fixed the time and date. I then went back in Mac, but no Ethernet! I backed it up on a separate SSD, went back to Windows, undid the changes one by one, booting back into Mac each time to verify. And the issue persists… The EFI is the same, I checked config.plist and ACPI folder. Any idea as to what broke the Ethernet and how to fix?

I am still having the same problem, even after unchecking those options in System Preferences.
Moreover, I managed to break my Ethernet connection… It now shows me the “cable is unplugged” error in System Preferences -> Network. I don’t know what I did wrong, but this is what happened: the Windows SSD was showing as “Untitled” in Mac, so I watched a short video about how to remedy that and then booted up in Windows to change the name of the drive using Disk Manager. All went well, it’s just an easy rename; and then I noticed the time in Windows was wrong, so I went into the registry to create the RealTimeIsUniversal D-Word (value 1) in and that fixed the time and date. I then went back in Mac, but no Ethernet! I backed it up on a separate SSD, went back to Windows, undid the changes one by one, booting back into Mac each time to verify. And the issue persists… The EFI is the same, I checked config.plist and ACPI folder. Any idea as to what broke the Ethernet and how to fix?
After Windows, you need to shut down and unplug the power cable for 10 sec. After, LAN will work. Nothing to do with registry.
I gave you a fully functional EFI (like mine - because we have the same hardware). Starting from now any movement you make is putting a barrier in possibility of helping you.

After Windows, you need to shut down and unplug the power cable for 10 sec. After, LAN will work. Nothing to do with registry.
Is this something I have to do after every incursion in Windows?

Back