Contribute
Register

Z590 w/ 11th Gen Intel Rocket Lake CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help...

I am working on converting a 10th gen Asus z590 to 11th gen and hitting a wall on graphics.

Monterey 12.4 OC 0.8.0

10900 is solid most things working.

I am trying to replace the 10900 with 11900. I will forego iGPU and do everything through AMD W5700 Pro, which is natively supported.

Along the way I'll get a singlecore bump, PCI3 -> PCI4 GPU and NVMe bump, and hold the line on mulicore.

Also, I read at shiki github that the only way to get full HW decode working for DRM is via AMD and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS:

Since macOS 11+ most SW decoders have been removed. I can live without full DRM but it would be nice.

To run the 11900, I've spoofed CPUID under Emulate, which got me booted.

Problem is that the W5700 display is not being detected by macOS at all. The AMD W5700 GPU is detected but attached display is not... displaying.
- The display is online, with backlight on, as if it were running, but screen is black.
- "About this Mac" shows no GPU.
- System Report shows W5700 dGPU but no display.
- I can run Screen Sharing and see a single resolution desktop with acceleration.

This GPU has a minor quirk that when it comes online, the fan revs for a split second (happens on mac, Windows or Linux) and that rev happens on this 11900. But the screen is blank.

The agpdmod=pikera boot arg is in place, as has been needed for my 10th gen CPU.

So it's not "black screen" problem in the traditional sense.

I've pared down my EFI and can choose between SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and iMac20,2, but one or the other makes no difference. iMac20,2 was working fine with 10900.

I haven't done USB mapping yet and a bunch of USB is not available, but outboard BT works (USB header).

I also haven't run SSDTime to make a couple of boilerplate SSDTs... Can these cause this symptom?

I've compared 5 or so different "working" 11th gen 590 EFIs and the only thing they agree on is that CPUID needs to be spoofed. And everybody-else's AMD just works, but I have a "supported" AMD that doesn't!

@Middleman has posted many helpful EFIs and comments on 11th gen and z590 over the years. However, the configs cover many builds and have evolved a lot, so that it's not clear to me what config might actually apply to my build...

For example for RX5700, it's recommended to use something called AGPMInjector:

But after reading the summary, I don't grok what problem this is supposed to solve?

Has anyone else seen a 11th gen AMD GPU blank screen that is not a black-screen problem?

TIA

[Update] I used SSDTime to create boilerplate SSDTs, but these don't help with dGPU.

Attachments

• EFI i9-11900K 0.8.0 12.3.1.zip
    10.6 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I need help...

I am working on converting a 10th gen Asus z590 to 11th gen and hitting a wall on graphics.

Monterey 12.4 OC 0.8.0

I am trying to replace the 10900 with 11900. I will forego iGPU and do everything through AMD W5700 Pro, which is natively supported.

Along the way I'll get a singlecore bump, PCI3 -> PCI4 GPU and NVMe bump, and hold the line on mulicore.

Also, I read at shiki github that the only way to get full HW decode working for DRM is via AMD and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS:

Since macOS 11+ most SW decoders have been removed. I can live without full DRM but it would be nice.

Problem is that the W5700 display is not being detected by macOS at all. The AMD W5700 GPU is detected but attached display is not... displaying.
- The display is online, with backlight on, as if it were running, but screen is black.
- About this Mac shows no GPU nor display, but the W5700 dGPU appears in System Report.
- I can run Screen Sharing and see a single resolution desktop with acceleration.

This GPU has a minor quirk that when it comes online, the fan revs for a split second (happens on mac, Windows or Linux) and that rev happens on this 11900. But the screen is blank.

The agpdmod=pikera boot arg is in place. as has been needed for my 10th gen CPU. So it's not "black screen" problem in the traditional sense.

I've pared down my EFI and can choose between SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and iMac20,2, but one or the other makes no difference. iMac20,2 was working fine with 10900.

I haven't done USB mapping yet and a bunch of USB is not available, but outboard BT works (USB header).

I also haven't run SSDTime to make a couple of boilerplate SSDTs... Can these cause this symptom?

I've compared 5 or so different "working" 11th gen 590 EFIs and the only thing they agree on is that CPUID needs to be spoofed. And everybody's AMD just works, but I have a "supported" AMD that doesn't!

@Middleman has posted many helpful EFIs and comments on 11th gen and z590 over the years. However, the configs cover many builds and have evolved a lot, so that it's not clear to me what config might actually apply to my build...

But after reading the summary, I don't grok what problem this is supposed to solve.

Has anyone else seen a 11th gen AMD GPU blank screen that is not a black-screen problem?

TIA
c-o-pr,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Have a look at my Z590 build here. It is setup for a 11900K and AMD RX6600 so should work right off the bat for you.

I need help...

Monterey 12.4 OC 0.8.0

- "About this Mac" shows no GPU.
- System Report shows W5700 dGPU but no display.

The agpdmod=pikera boot arg is in place, as has been needed for my 10th gen CPU.

So it's not "black screen" problem in the traditional sense.

I've compared 5 or so different "working" 11th gen 590 EFIs and the only thing they agree on is that CPUID needs to be spoofed. And everybody-else's AMD just works, but I have a "supported" AMD that doesn't!

But after reading the summary, I don't grok what problem this is supposed to solve?

TIA

[Update] I used SSDTime to create boilerplate SSDTs, but these don't help with dGPU.
Try it without agdpmod, I believe that's not needed in Monterey. Update all your kexts. And you need usb mapping. Whether or not it's needed to boot, you may as well do it now. Usbtoolbox makes it super easy from windows or a winpe.
Thennn, that should honestly get some progress. Make sure lilu kext loads before whatevergreen.

@Middleman @TripleYoThreat

Thank you both for suggestions. Unfortunately neither worked, but I stumbled upon a solution...

Middleman, Per the EFI you suggested, thank you for the assist. But I'm afraid this would not activate the W5700 Pro at all, and the machine spontaneously resets a few moments after boot. I'm going to return to it for clues on sleep/wake.

TripleYoThreat, I moved ahead with adding custom USBMap.kext from by 10900 build for iMac20,2 and all my previously defined ports came up including sound. But no help on the blank screen. Removing agdpmod=pikera had no effect, but there's a silly part to this, but first a detour....

Along the way of trying many things, including spoofing the whole GPU using the work-around for the 12.3 performance glitch, a custom power injector for the GPU, disabling the iGPU, and numerous others, I decided to simplify things by just disabling whatevergreen. Huzzah. The display came right up!

...so I went back to review my config and write this message.I was going to address the question as to whether agdpmod is required with the observation that for supported graphics, maybe WEG isn't even required!

OPERATOR HEADSPACE ERROR

As I was writing agdpmod=, I thought garr "is it a-g-d-p or a-g-p-d" so I looked it up, then went back to my config.plist and somewhere since working on this upgrade, I entered mis-spelled boot arg. I re-enabled WEG and with the correct boot arg agdpmod=pikera graphics came up.

So, in fact my problem was precisely the traditional black-screen problem.

So to the answer to the question "Does latest Monterey 12.4 even need this arg for dGPU?" is Yes.

But maybe WEG is not needed at all? I'm leaving WEG in place for now because it maybe it covers other issues which I don't want fight right now.

I'm super happy to have it working!

MY i9-10900K TO i9-11900K UPGRADE KEY STEPS:

• Pare down EFI by removing previous custom ACPI and house-cleaning. (Don't wreck anything!)

• Spoof a Cometake CPUID with OC > Kernel > Emulate:
Cpuid1Data = EB060900 00000000 00000000 00000000
Cpuid1Mask = FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000

(*** I don't actually know how to find CPU ID values for OpenCore, I just copied from another 11th gen EFI.
Update: See Middleman's cheatsheet in following post)

• Get the system booted — I add boot arg -wegnoigpu just to be sure that UHD 750 is sidelined.

(I boot Windows along the way to dump DSDT)

• Rerun SSDTime under new CPU and create new custom ACPI .aml files, including:
SSDT-EC, SSDT-HPET, SSDT-AWAC, SSDT-USB-Reset

• Change SMBOIS to iMacPro1,1 per Shiki DRM notes (per previous message).

• Remap USB due to SMBIOS change.

(I am familiar with CorpNewt USBMap, so I use that, but in this case I just edited the Info.plist in my existing custom USBMap.kext and replaced iMac20,2 with iMacPro1,1 because all the other details are otherwise the same)

I'll review benchmarks later.

Thanks again for your suggestions, the support means a lot when struggling.

Last edited:
Easy way to remember the acronym used in the boot-arg

Apple Graphics Device Policy - first part of the boot argument agdpmod=vit9696 or agdpmod=pikera

Not traditional at all, because this was due to a misspelling :lol: ;) glad we figured this one out mate!
So to the answer to the question "Does latest Monterey 12.4 even need this arg for dGPU?" is Yes.
A mac pro may not but yes helps for us.
But maybe WEG is not needed at all? I'm leaving WEG in place for now because it maybe it covers other issues which I don't want fight right now.
It helps for hackintosh to parlay the graphics card essentially.

@Middleman @TripleYoThreat

Thank you both for suggestions. Unfortunately neither worked, but I stumbled upon a solution...

Middleman, Per the EFI you suggested, thank you for the assist. But I'm afraid this would not activate the W5700 Pro at all, and the machine spontaneously resets a few moments after boot. I'm going to return to it for clues on sleep/wake.

TripleYoThreat, I moved ahead with adding custom USBMap.kext from by 10900 build for iMac20,2 and all my previously defined ports came up including sound. But no help on the blank screen. Removing agdpmod=pikera had no effect, but there's a silly part to this, but first a detour....

Along the way of trying many things, including spoofing the whole GPU using the work-around for the 12.3 performance glitch, a custom power injector for the GPU, disabling the iGPU, and numerous others, I decided to simplify things by just disabling whatevergreen. Huzzah. The display came right up!

...so I went back to review my config and write this message.I was going to address the question as to whether agdpmod is required with the observation that for supported graphics, maybe WEG isn't even required!

OPERATOR HEADSPACE ERROR

As I was writing agdpmod=, I thought garr "is it a-g-d-p or a-g-p-d" so I looked it up, then went back to my config.plist and somewhere since working on this upgrade, I entered mis-spelled boot arg. I re-enabled WEG and with the correct boot arg agdpmod=pikera graphics came up.

I'm super happy to have it working!

MY i9-10900K TO i9-11900K UPGRADE KEY STEPS:

• Pare down EFI by removing previous custom ACPI and house-cleaning. (Don't wreck anything!)

• Spoof a Cometake CPUID with OC > Kernel > Emulate:
Cpuid1Data = EB060900 00000000 00000000 00000000
Cpuid1Mask = FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000
(*** I don't actually know how to find CPU ID values for OpenCore, I just copied from another 11th gen EFI.)

• Get the system booted — I add boot arg -wegnoigpu just to be sure that UHD 750 is sidelined.

(I boot Windows along the way to dump DSDT)

• Rerun SSDTime under new CPU and create new custom ACPI .aml files, including
SSDT-EC, SSDT-HPET, SSDT-AWAC, SSDT-USB-Reset

• Change SMBOIS to iMacPro1,1 per Shiki DRM notes (per previous message).

• Remap USB due to SMBIOS change.
(I am familiar with CorpNewt USBMap, so I use that)

I'll review benchmarks later.

Thanks again for your suggestions, the support means a lot when struggling.
Glad to hear you've resolved the issue @c-o-pr!

However I was going to mention, I was surprised my EFI didn't work for you. I am suspecting maybe it was because of the dGPU settings for the Device Properties - you would have had to add the correct device-id for the W5700 Pro in order for it to boot, plus maybe an updated USB map. Either way, glad to hear it was sorted for you.

As for the CPUID values, there are a number of ways to get hold of them:
1) Clover Configurator (under FakeCPUID listing)
2) Wikichip or CPU-World site
3) GLView (under CPUID tab)
4) CPU-Z specs

To get them off a specs sheet from CPU-Z is a little more tricky. The CPUID value is defined for Intel chips as 'Model - Stepping - Family - Extended Model'. In your case you've quoted the CPUID from Coffee Lake for your config listing.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-04-B.jpg

Here are some numbers for my 10th to 11th z590 upgrade

To recap, i9-11900K at 5.1 GHz multicore

NOTES

I've been mystified by a long-term problem on my build that kernel_task will eat from 35–75% of a core.

A 35% wasted CPU had reduced my 10900 single core benchmarks by 12% and multi-core proportionally, about 1.5%. On this 11900, kernel_task was constantly burning 75% of a core! I felt I had to get to the bottom of this before benchmark results would have real meaning.

Tl;dr background:

On my 10900 build, I discovered by accident that the system would properly idle if OpenCore is loaded from from a thumb drive instead of the OS NVMe. As I recalled copyng the thumb drive EFI from the same source as the NVMe, I didn't exhaustively search for differences. After installing the 11900, kernel_task is using even more CPU.

A huge aside — kernel_task is an odd program, because it's a kernel process that schedules a ton of what's called "bottom-half" driver code in old Unix (e.g., BSD / Sun Solaris parlance). Top-half kernel code gets called from user-space when a program wants a device to do something for it, while bottom-half kernel code gets called (pushed) by devices (interrupts) as those devices get work done. MacOS is based on CMU's Mach microkernel which has a much richer kernel structure for device schedluling and inter-processor communication than typical Unix derivatives. The Mach microkernel is a gangly collection of SW threads which implement messaging — and therefore interlocks — that let a lot of device activity run concurrently, which is good for system performance and stability. (I don't actually know how Linux has evolved in this regard but MacOS is mosdef not Linux kernel, nor is it BSD, in spite of strong associations with the latter.)

So one of the many, many device-level chores that kernel_task performs is the efficient wasting of time when a mac mobile CPU starts to overheat or a it looks like it's overheating because temperature sensor is broke, which led o forums full of Macbook users complaining that kernel_task is hogging their CPU and slowing down their Mac, which it in fact does. But it also does a million other device-related chores, and any sort of device pathology might lead to kernel_task wasting time.

A SOLUTION APPEARS

By searching for info on Mac SW performance profiling I learned about spindump in Activity Monitor. It collects code usage statistics on the running system.

I ran spindump on my otherwise idle system, then searched the output for threads using a lot of CPU time. What stood out was a digital-audio related threads with lots of activity

On a pure hunch, I thought "AppleALC — I've never understood my own audio layout choice for boards Realtek ALC4080." It's not even mentioned in the AppleALC notes, but some reading told me that its an upgraded ALC1220, which has about 20 layout ID possibilities. I just guessed at one when originally creating this build and it worked.

As I mentioned in previous msg, trying to solve a GPU blank-screen bugaboo I found by that WhateverGreen actually isn't essential for my build. Actually, WEG figures out most configs by itself these days, so DeviceProperties for graphics is often no more than a hint to WEG that it should do a default something, which OpenCore users mistake for having made an intelligent config choice.

I have just gone through a process of elimination of various OpenCore elements to learn more about what my system really needs versus pure boilerplate.

So, once I discovered that kernel_task was busy wasting time futzing with audio, I thought maybe I should just remove my layout choice and let AppleALC decide what's best. Voila! System idle CPU is now truly idle.

OK, SO HERE ARE MY RESULTS

Asus Hero XIII z590
i9-11900K, 5.1 GHz, DDR4-3600
Samsung 980 Pro in PCIe 4.0 slot:

i9-11900K 5.1GHz 12.4 0.8.0 - GB5 CPU.jpg

AMD Radeon Pro W5700 - GB5 Metal.jpg

i9-11900K 5.1GHz 12.4 0.8.0 - C23 Single.jpg
i9-11900K 5.1GHz 12.4 0.8.0 - C23 Multi.jpg
980 Pro - Amorphous DIsk Mark.jpg
980 Pro Throughput - ATTO.jpg
980 Pro IOPs - ATTO.jpg
980 Pro Throughtput - AJA.jpg

Just for reference...
Western Digital SN750 (PCIe 3)

Western Digital SN750 - AJA.jpg

LAST THOUGHTS
  • Best 10900K GB5 single core was 1460.
    The 11900K provides a solid 25% single core bump.
  • 11900K needs 5.1 GHz to multicore at same score as i9-10900K. This translates into 4C higher full-load temp of 96-98C in 78F room. The system is stable overnight though.
  • PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0 makes no difference on GB5 Metal score.
  • After I sorted out the CPU waste, my W5700 GPU metal score went down 10% !! Lord giveth and taketh.
  • PCIe 4.0 NVMe shows a strong 75% throughput gain. 980 Pro is regarded as top-performers in IOPs.
This system makes no sense. It costs a fortune, is hot as hell, and just holds its own with a Studio M1 Max.

But it's been fun and challenging learning experience.

Thank you community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back