Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

That is still 100% correct:
  • The Buffalo drive uses a Thunderbolt connection, hence it's attached to RP05.UPSB.DSB3 (Thunderbolt port #2). This confirms that the Buffalo enclosure is connected via Thunderbolt.
  • The Buffalo enclosure uses an internal SATA controller for the SATA hard drives inside.
  • This SATA controller attaches to the computer via Thunderbolt.
  • The hard drives are then attached to the SATA controller.
  • So the hard drives appear in the System Information --> SATA section (exactly as they should).
Remember that Thunderbolt is not a disk drive controller. SATA is a disk drive controller. Thunderbolt is an externalization of the PCIe bus.

In other words, PCIe slots on the motherboard are in effect an internal interface to the PCIe bus. Cards that we install into those slots communicate over PCIe.

But what if we could externalize the same PCIe bus so we aren't forced to use the limited number of PCIe slots and cram the inside of the computer with a lot of cards?

Thunderbolt solves this problem. We can connect devices directly to our PCIe bus without having to install them inside the computer case. Each Thunderbolt port allows up to 6 Thunderbolt devices to be daisy-chained. With 2 Thunderbolt ports you can attach up to 12 external devices to the PCIe bus.

All those devices that you attach to Thunderbolt ports will appear in appropriate sections of System Information. If you connect an external 10GbE Ethernet device, for example, it will appear under System Information --> Ethernet Cards.
Sorry to revisit this after 8 months, but literally overnight (after an evening shutdown and cold boot the next morning), the Buffalo drive failed to mount. I hadn't made any software or hardware changes in the meantime.

The Buffalo drive has two possible connectors: Thunderbolt 2 and USB3. My mobo has two Thunderbolt 4 Type C ports, and I had been successfully using a Thunderbolt2-to-Thunderbolt4 adapter to connect it, until it failed to mount today.

I need to use the drive so I resorted to using its USB3 cable instead, and plugged it into an operating USB port. It's mounting fine now, but I'm wondering why the TB4 (TypeC) connection suddenly failed. FWIW I'm attaching my USBports.kext and also a screenshot from Hackintool where I've highlighted the Buffalo drive, now connected via USB3.

Attachments

• Hackintool.jpg
    Hackintool.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 78
  • USBports.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 54
Are you already using a Thunderbolt hotplug SSDT? If so, please post it so I can take a look.

Also, are you using Monterey 12.3.1?
@CaseySJ Please find my EFI attached and the IoReg. The thunderbolt works only from a cold boot, no hot-swap. Is there any better ssdt? Where we left it last time it was quite new but no solution at the time.

This machine could do with some EFI and os update, sometimes the system is also lagging when copying or editing in Premiere Pro, and when working in photoshop trying to change the font cause the software to crash :thumbdown It has all sorts of annoying things like having to restart to get access to the external SSD via thunderbolt etc.
I'm currently running on Big Sur 11.6

Does anyone have this motherboard and can share a working EFI by any chance?
CPU: AMD RYZEN9 3900x - 12c Socket AM4
Motherboard: ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR WIFI
Ram: 64GB DDR4
GPU: 5700XT

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.5 MB · Views: 69
  • PROART X570 Creator_10.06.2022.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 67
@CaseySJ Good news. I just tested Thunderbolt 4 Hotplug on my Gigabyte Z590i Vision D again. Haven't done this for months. It now works again.

I have macOS Ventura Public Beta 3 and tested it with my OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock.

AppleVTD is enabled as well. I am using the SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml.

I have unplugged/plugged in multiple times the OWC Dock itself as well as an TB4-SSD attached to my OWC Dock. Ethernet over OWC Dock works as well.

All this even after a full Sleep/Wake Cycle.

Isn't that great :)

Attachments

• EFI_Z590i-VisionD_OC83_SchmockLord.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 187
@CaseySJ Good news. I just tested Thunderbolt 4 Hotplug on my Gigabyte Z590i Vision D again. Haven't done this for months. It now works again.

I have macOS Ventura Public Beta 3 and tested it with my OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock.

I have unplugged/plugged in multiple times the OWC Dock itself as well as an TB4-SSD attached to my OWC Dock. Ethernet over OWC Dock works as well.

Isn't that great
:)
The 3rd public beta was released today. Did Thunderbolt 4 hot plug fail in the previous public beta, but works in the latest? If so, that would be *very* interesting.

I don't know. Like I said, I gave up on hotplug months ago and didn't test it further. Sometimes you just test too much. Pausing, using you system normally for weeks and then trying again can do wonders.

I don't know. Like I said, I gave up on hotplug months ago and didn't test it further. Sometimes you just test too much. Pausing, using you system normally for weeks and then trying again can do wonders.

It's interesting - I've have a very similar EFI to you, but I am on the non-i Vision D. My Thunderbolt won't even work with "Boot from Thunderbolt" disabled, which I note you have set.

*edit* I should add that, it works fine with "Boot from Thunderbolt" enabled, just no hot plug.

Last edited:

Isn't that great :)

I've tried the SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml on a new build I just got up and running, but I have an i9 10850k and am getting No Hardware Detected for Thunderbolt. To your knowledge @SchmockLord19 or @CaseySJ, does an 11th gen CPU like the i9 11900k need to be used to get TB recognized on the z590/z590i Vision D, or will it say that if no device is plugged in? Currently troubleshooting if it's my board (using z590 Vision D), cpu, files, or cable/device.

I've tried the SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml on a new build I just got up and running, but I have an i9 10850k and am getting No Hardware Detected for Thunderbolt. To your knowledge @SchmockLord19 or @CaseySJ, does an 11th gen CPU like the i9 11900k need to be used to get TB recognized on the z590/z590i Vision D, or will it say that if no device is plugged in? Currently troubleshooting if it's my board (using z590 Vision D), cpu, files, or cable/device.
Some questions:
  • Which Thunderbolt card are you using?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which Thunderbolt device(s) do you have?
  • Do those devices work when plugged in?
It would be helpful to post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

Some questions:
  • Which Thunderbolt card are you using?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which Thunderbolt device(s) do you have?
  • Do those devices work when plugged in?
It would be helpful to post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).
Between comparing this SSDT and the one from @tsanko.dimitrov's build on the z590 Vision D, I've been able to get a Belkin TB3 hub working with the board's built in ports. Tested the ethernet and USB 3.0 on the TB hub and both are working with Monterey 12.5.1!

This is the first build where I'm working with TB and learning as I go there. Since it's using the built in ports/controller (not flashed?), is it normal to not see any TB info in the System Report > Thunderbolt section? As long as it's appearing in PCI it should be good to go?

Since it's using the built in ports/controller (not flashed?), is it normal to not see any TB info in the System Report > Thunderbolt section? As long as it's appearing in PCI it should be good to go?
Yes, that's correct. Because the controller isn't flashed, Thunderbolt Bus will not appear and therefore System Information --> Thunderbolt will just display "No drivers are loaded". That is perfectly fine.

As long as your Thunderbolt devices connect and work, you're good to go.

Back