Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Okay so I updated the BIOS settings on the Z490 board to enable the Rocket Lake M.2 support. Performance has now gone up across the board. Single-core & multi-core scores has gone up few thousand points, and read and write tests on AJA have also gone up 1000MB/sec and 600MB/sec respectively.

Attachments

• aja-pcie4-rlset.png
    aja-pcie4-rlset.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 68
I've got a feeling Alder Lake CPUs might be compatible as well.
A feeling is not much to go by. "Alder Lake" is just vaporware at present, and we won't know if it can be made to run MacOS until after it actually launches, not to say that it will most certainly require new motherboards and probably new RAM (DDR5) if the rumors are to be believed.

And even if it can be made to run MacOS, it may have compatibility problems, and in that case do not expect any fix from Apple and the software vendors with the Apple Silicon transition.

I can certainly understand your reluctance with current hardware (especially if you do not already own same generation hardware) knowing that "Alder Lake" will launch this year (if Intel's claim can be believed), however.

I just bought the 11th gen, 11700K, and the ROG Strix Z590. I’d be willing to do any tests if someone would like.

Good luck with that! It's a nice chip and board if anything. Only issue is the Iris Xe GPU, which currently doesn't have any GPU drivers from Intel for Windows. You'll have to wait until tomorrow before that is released. Also the chip only allows a maximum of 3200MHz setting with the DDR4 RAM. Unless you plan to overclock, don't bother to buy the faster DDR4 RAM.

Good luck with that! It's a nice chip and board if anything. Only issue is the Iris Xe GPU, which currently doesn't have any GPU drivers from Intel for Windows. You'll have to wait until tomorrow before that is released. Also the chip only allows a maximum of 3200MHz setting with the DDR4 RAM. Unless you plan to overclock, don't bother to buy the faster DDR4 RAM.
I always run XMP, absolutely!
Good thing I bought the limited edition G Skill Royals anyway, topping at 3200.

I've got a feeling Alder Lake CPUs might be compatible as well. No way I'm dishing out money on a 10th or 11th gen processors when 10nm CPUs are supposed to stomp the current CPUs in 6 months.
With no March or April event, but with WWDC already announced for early June (the 7th instead of last year’s 22nd), my eyes are on Apple.

Rocket Lake makes no sense to me because I already own Comet Lake. Alder Lake is exciting and worth waiting for. It will arrive, there’s little doubt of that, but running macOS may be tricky.

If we can coax macOS to run on Ryzen, we should be able to coax macOS to run on Alder Lake, but we may or may not be able to make use of both power and efficiency cores. Perhaps we can disable efficiency cores in BIOS and run macOS only on the power cores.

Alder Lake is exciting not only because of the architecture and process technology upgrades, but also because of the challenges it poses for Hackintosh.

So I came across this interesting piece today, which covers Rocket Lake’s die on a more detailed basis. I know that everyone is currently debating that AMDs Zen 3s are beating Intel’s i7 & i9 on price/performance. One thing most don’t know is that the i9 has a much bigger IGPU than ever before (more than 1/3 of the die). This means it has better graphics performance for PC cpu-only systems & laptops. AMDs only perform ‘better’ because most don’t have an IGPU section and so this extra space is occupied with extra cores. But AMD has its issues still. I got the i9 also because aside from PCIe 4.0 I wanted better macOS & Windows compatibility. I thought to put it out there for anyone who’s thinking about getting it.

With no March or April event, but with WWDC already announced for early June (the 7th instead of last year’s 22nd), my eyes are on Apple.

Rocket Lake makes no sense to me because I already own Comet Lake. Alder Lake is exciting and worth waiting for. It will arrive, there’s little doubt of that, but running macOS may be tricky.

If we can coax macOS to run on Ryzen, we should be able to coax macOS to run on Alder Lake, but we may or may not be able to make use of both power and efficiency cores. Perhaps we can disable efficiency cores in BIOS and run macOS only on the power cores.

Alder Lake is exciting not only because of the architecture and process technology upgrades, but also because of the challenges it poses for Hackintosh.

Hahaha, I posted almost at the same time as you did!

For sure! I’m excited for Alder Lake too (and Apple’s announcements later this year). Would be interesting to see what they come up with. It would be pretty intense I think given the current global chip shortage. Still waiting for that RX6800 driver...

Hahaha, I posted almost at the same time as you did!

For sure! I’m excited for Alder Lake too (and Apple’s announcements later this year). Would be interesting to see what they come up with. It would be pretty intense I think given the current global chip shortage. Still waiting for that RX6800 driver...
I am very interested in Apple’s announcements this year and early next. If they are listening to customers once again (e.g. laptop scissor keyboards, more ports, MagSafe power connector, price cuts, etc.) then I am really eager to see what they do for the desktop. Will there even be an Apple discrete GPU? Games on iOS devices play very well...

Because I have Comet Lake (and Coffee Lake and Broadwell-E and Ryzen 2), I totally have the luxury of sitting back and watching the year unfold. :)

Back