Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

I am thinking of using a socket for Winbond 25Q80 flash memory. In order not to desolder it, it would have to apply an additional 3.3V to pin 8. But once my hand twitched and I burned the controller. Therefore, I would rather not risk anymore. Unless someone has an idea for a programmer that has an amplified 3.3V current.
Have you seen this?

Hello @SchmockLord19,

Good to see the interest in Z590I Vision D. Some questions and comments:
  • When using the i9-11900K, was it necessary to spoof the CPU ID? I did use one, but I will try to leave it out.
  • The Razer Core X has been problematic on Z490, so it’s good to see that it works on Z590. It was also working fine on my Z490 AsRock Phantom Gaming TB3-ITX.
  • Thunderbolt 4 has a slightly different device tree than Thunderbolt 3, but on the Z590i its Root Port is still RP05. If the sub device under RP05 is ”pcibridge“ instead of UPSB, then it indicates that the Thunderbolt SSDT was rejected by macOS.
    • If so, it will be necessary to examine the boot log: log show —last boot | head -1000 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt Alright. Will try to support from Monday on.
  • We have found that Thunderbolt hot plug on this board does not work under macOS. The firmware is different from what we’ve seen before, so the modifications we made for Titan Ridge may or may not work on Maple Ridge.
    • The modified firmware files I provided earlier in this thread to @ori69 are a first attempt. We don’t have a comparable firmware file from Apple, so the modifications I made are not likely to enable Thunderbolt Bus, but hopefully someone will be brave enough (foolish enough? :)) to try them.
  • Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards, we believe there’s a problem with Gigabyte’s firmware (BIOS). So it may be necessary to wait for an update. So do I. Thats why I would prefer waiting or try different SSDTs before I would disassemble everything to flash with a harakiri ROM :D I have disassembled my AsRock Z490 so many times and don't wanna do this with the Z590. I mean, I use it with an eGPU and nothing else. There is no use case in hot plug for me at the moment.

My answers in the quoted text in red.

Last edited:
Have you seen this?
I will do like this:

IMG_20210402_134058.jpeg

I put 3 kexts and Wifi + BT works.
Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 03.34.40.png

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 03.35.07.png

I checked "SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml" again. Thunderbolt works but not PCI.

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 03.50.10.png

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer Test’s Z590i Big Sur 4.ioreg
    10.7 MB · Views: 76
  • Airport+BT.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I put 3 kexts and Wifi + BT works.
View attachment 514059
View attachment 514060
I checked "SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml" again. Thunderbolt works but not PCI.

View attachment 514061
Nice. I've found that Bluetooth works without any kexts if you load Linux and then reboot into macOS. For some reason when you load Windows, it resets the firmware to Ericson (not Intel), and Bluetooth no longer works in macOS (unless you boot into Linux first again). And the system goes to sleep and stays asleep if you change USB Bluetooth HS14 port to 'internal.'

How is wifi working, does it connect at 5 GHz speeds?

Nice. I've found that Bluetooth works without any kexts if you load Linux and then reboot into macOS. For some reason when you load Windows, it resets the firmware to Ericson (not Intel), and Bluetooth no longer works in macOS (unless you boot into Linux first again). And the system goes to sleep and stays asleep if you change USB Bluetooth HS14 port to 'internal.'

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 05.22.08.png

BT works with Magic Mouse. WiFi very slow. Thanks for the suggestion to change the USB Bluetooth HS14 port to 'internal.' The system finally goes to sleep properly and doesn't wake up.

For those interested I've just done an update of the CPU for my Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme. I upgraded it to the new Core i9 11900K which I got this weekend from the Core i5 10400. The update was pretty straightforward provided the BIOS is updated to latest F20d. Benchtests shows it runs much faster. Also AJA write speed test went from 2502MB/sec to 2700MB/sec on the Gigabyte PCI4.0 SSD.

You can see it here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...00-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/page-3#post-2239416

Can anyone test the UHD 750 aka 11th gen iGPU, possibly faking the ID? If it works with graphics acceleration while spoofing, say, the uhd 630, I'll buy one tonight.

Back