Contribute
Register

Z170 vs Z97 Chipsets and DDR3 vs DDR4 (Compatibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ASUS Strix OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a new PC on Digital Storm's website and definitely plan on installing OS X on it. However, the only thing is, recently Digital Storm updated the configurations of their desktops to contain Intel Z170 Chipset motherboards and DDR4 RAM (of course with the respected new Intel processors as well), instead of the Z97 Chipset motherboards and DDR3 RAM. Will this impact my ability to hackintosh should I go through with the purchase?

I'm pretty sure the old configuration I have saved would hackintosh fine, it's the new one I'm unsure of. Any help?

Here are the configurations.

Old configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

New configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170N-Gaming 5 (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

A modified Kernel is required. To date there is non available. We will likely see a modified kernel soon. The Final release of El Kap will not include a Kernel for LGA 1151. After Apple release an actual Hardware release including an LGA1151 system then we can expect native support for hakintosh on LGA1151 The next update of the Mac Pro Mini Tower will most definitely include LGA1151 but release date is unknown. Likely chip to see in it is Mobile Xeons: Skylake Based E3-1500M

Tomorow i'll get my Intel i7 6700k, MSI Krait Z170A and 8GB DDR4 from HyperX. I'll try if it works on a Hackintosh but I'm pretty sure it won't work since it's not yet compatible :p

Definitely let me know! I'd be shocked if it did work, but best of luck!! :D

Thank you both for the replies though. Hopefully native support for the new technology comes soon from Apple. We all know how long it takes Apple to update the Mac Pros, but hopefully they incorporate the LGA 1151 somehow. Even if it's in the Mac Mini or something. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back