Contribute
Register

yosemite not liking overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the answer is very universal when it comes to oc your system the same way you install OSX. Every system is a snowflake they are all different. I don't think there is an issue with oc in yosemite I think you might have to change different setting then with mavericks. I was lucky and didn't have too.

I'm not sure if this will help, but on my overclocked dual boot setup, I can run the default Prime95 torture test for 13+ hours on Windows 8.1 and that Generate P and C States is a no go; it prevents Yosemite from booting at all.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a memory allocate error immediately at boot when you change any OC settings above their default value?

This is strange... How did you set up your OC settings in BIOS?

I was able to push safely my 4770K with Hyper 212 Evo up to 4.4 GHz. Setting in BIOS CPU upgrade to 4.4GHz option, choosing K OC mode Enable from advance tab and changing manually VCore voltage to 1.250 and everything is running smooth. Temps running up to 70*C+ temps stressed. I feel that I can push more with better cooler. I've enabled EIST as well in BIOS under advance settings in performance tab.

Here I'm posting couple of benchmarks
View attachment 113298
Standard setup without any change

View attachment 113299
K OC mode enable but clock speed unchanged but voltage set up at 1.250

View attachment 113300
4.4GHz , K OC is on, CPU multiplier x44 and voltage set up at 1.250

I've noticed that when leaving the voltage to auto at 4.4GHz ( eventually it will run around 1.320) will end up scoring lower than unchanged 3.9GHz

I'm beginning to think this may have something to do with going over 4.4GHz...If you want to test this theory, set up your OC so that your 1-core multiplier is 45 and see what happens. If you CPU is stable with all 4 cores running at 4.4GHz then bumping the 1-core value to 45 shouldn't be a big deal.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a memory allocate error immediately at boot when you change any OC settings above their default value?
While I haven't done a lot of testing, I do get a memory allocation error if Generate P and C States are used in "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" with an overlocked setup. It doesn't seem to matter what the specific settings are.

While I haven't done a lot of testing, I do get a memory allocation error if Generate P and C States are used in "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" with an overlocked setup. It doesn't seem to matter what the specific settings are.

Just wanted to add an update. I'm thinking this issue might be specific to certain motherboards. I just built a system with an Asus Z97M Plus / 4790K and it overclocks just fine with the 1-core and 2-core set at 46, 3-core at 45, and 4-core at 44 multipliers. Nothing like my experience with the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 where any multiplier change above 44 won't even boot in OS X.

I have a question:

Going to install Yosemite on a computer that runs stable OC since very long time.
3770K,@ 4,5Ghz delidded, low temps( 55Celcius at stress tests). Was able to run at 5Ghz.

Is it possible to do the install with a O/C:d system( all done in BIOS ) or do I have to revert to defalut values during the install ?

I have a question:

Going to install Yosemite on a computer that runs stable OC since very long time.
3770K,@ 4,5Ghz delidded, low temps( 55Celcius at stress tests). Was able to run at 5Ghz.

Is it possible to do the install with a O/C:d system( all done in BIOS ) or do I have to revert to defalut values during the install ?

Hi AAKEE, I'm new to this myself, so please take my response with a tablespoon of salt.

In the main installation guide here on the site, it is recommended to load the "optimized default" BIOS settings and disable some other things if your mobo supports them.

I did follow all the instructions, except the optimized defaults. I just wanted to give it a try with my sportive but rocksolid overclock (4790k).

The installation itself went well, the machine does boot and function as intended. I'm still working on some details like bluetooth and audio after wake-up, but as far as I can tell* the overclock is active and not harming the installation process / OS stability.

* I haven't had time to dig into the voodoo of proper cpu speed readout in OSX yet and the system info just says 4GHz stock - but Geekbench results look like the overclock is doing the job.

However, it took me several installs at first until i found most of the settings in multibeast to enabled stuff like the network and audio. I had (and have) no idea what I was doing or how to delete installed multibeast modules. Today I finally had a look at deleting kext files in case they don't work.

You might end up the same... It's a lot of research and trial and error at first anyway, so why not give your overclock a try?

I'm certainly heading for more trouble and clean installations during the next days - because there is a lot to try and fail and learn.

So exciting :D

Just wanted to add an update. I'm thinking this issue might be specific to certain motherboards. I just built a system with an Asus Z97M Plus / 4790K and it overclocks just fine with the 1-core and 2-core set at 46, 3-core at 45, and 4-core at 44 multipliers. Nothing like my experience with the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 where any multiplier change above 44 won't even boot in OS X.

I have a MSI Z97 Gaming 9 and I can use the OC Genie which sets my i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz. It boots Yosemite and Windows 8.1 using Clover just fine but when waking up from sleep I have no working USB ports (Yosemite only). It is not frozen because I can VNC in and reboot or shutdown. If I disable the OC Genie everything works fine. I am running a closed looped water cooler so temps should not be an issue.

Do you know what the recommended settings related to C states and P states when using Clover might be? This is my first go at running an OC'd rig as a hackintosh.

Here is the 3 important settings that got my overclocking working in Yosemite with 10.10.2. The only problem I am still trying to figure out is my fans not spinning up under full load like they did in ML. I was running 4.2 Ghz but had to turn it down now to 3.8 Ghz so things don't get too hot.

test.jpg

Here is the 3 important settings that got my overclocking working in Yosemite with 10.10.2. The only problem I am still trying to figure out is my fans not spinning up under full load like they did in ML. I was running 4.2 Ghz but had to turn it down now to 3.8 Ghz so things don't get too hot.

View attachment 129588
Hi!
I'm planning to OC my new brand 4790K and push it until (i hope) 4,9 or maybe 5,0 :headbang: Before that I want to be sure my system is stable at stocks clock (4.0@1,15 Vcore).

I want to ask you about the pic. Do I need to enable Sandy Bridge Overclock like the pic shows? 4790 is Haswell so I'm a little confused.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back