Contribute
Register

XHC USB Kext Creation Guideline

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to originate a general misunderstanding from the other thread, where @Rulebreaker01 insisted yesterday that following your instructions all HS and SS ports assigned to internal USB3.0 headers should be denoted by 255. Doing that, sleep/wake broke immediately on my rig.

Thus.. thanks for confirming that my former approach, assigning 3 to the HS and SS ports of all internal USB3.0 headers connected to external devices was indeed always correct.

BTW.. I would not know any internal USB3.0 device connected to an internal USB3.0 header. Although apparently SS ports can be denoted by 255, I would rather say that 255 should be exclusively attributed to HS ports of internal USB2.0 headers, connected to internal USB2.0 devices. Opinion?

Both SSxx and HSxx can be connected to internal devices.

Although most internal devices tend to be USB2, there are existing examples of USB3 internal devices. One common case with desktops is an internal hub (may be part of the case or an internal hub on the board itself). And I've seen laptops with internal USB3 webcams.

In the future, we may see seeing USB3 BT controllers, trackpads, etc.

There seems to originate a general misunderstanding from the other thread, where @Rulebreaker01 insisted yesterday that following your instructions all HS and SS ports assigned to internal USB3.0 headers should be denoted by 255. Doing that, sleep/wake broke immediately on my rig.

More accurately, it was for HS/SS ports connected to an internal ASM107x hub.

@RehabMan : so those ports should they be 255 or 0/3 ?

But the hub connects to external devices anyway. It is common that some external USB connectors share a common bridge/hub.

@RehabMan : so those ports should they be 255 or 0/3 ?

Ports connected to an internal hub would be UsbConnector=255.

Exception: Power saving hub that completely disconnects/powers off when no devices are connected to the hub.

Note that internal headers connected directly to external ports should be marked appropriate for the connector itself (eg. 0 for USB2, 3 for USB3). Only internal headers connected to internal devices get 255.

Well, those ports weren't connected to external ports diretly, but to an internal device (an ASM107x hub), so based on this, marking them as 255 is the right thing to do.

Well, those ports weren't connected to external ports diretly, but to an internal device (an ASM107x hub), so based on this, marking them as 255 is the right thing to do.

Yes.

Yea seems like.. however it is not the case that all internal USB headers have to be assigned to 255 as you stated yesterday, if I understood you properly. HS and SS Ports of internal USB3.0 headers directly connected to external USB connectors must still be denoted by 3.

But maybe that was simply a basic misunderstanding between us.

@RehabMan,

two last questions from my side:

1.) I never clarified one thing for myself, as I do not have any USB3.0 Type-C connector assigned to any of my XHC onboard controllers. Anyway, theoretically all HS ports assigned to USB3.0 Type-C connectors should be denoted by "9". What about the respective SS ports in this case? "3" or "9" ?..

2.) On the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, I have three external USB3.0 back panel connectors sharing HS06 and SSP6. Is it still appropriate to denote HS06 and SSP6 with "3" as actually implemented?

Yea seems like.. however it is not the case that all internal USB headers have to be assigned to 255 as you stated yesterday, if I understood you properly. HS and SS Ports of internal USB3.0 headers directly connected to external USB connectors must still be denoted by 3.

But maybe that was simply a basic misunderstanding between us.

I think so, because I always mentioned (and there) to be set as 255 as it was connected to a ASM107x hub.
And as you can see, it's only HS09 and SSP1 that I marked 255 (and HS14 which is the wifi/bt M.2 card)

Reactions: kgp
I think so, because I always mentioned (and there) to be set as 255 as it was connected to a ASM107x hub.
And as you can see, it's only HS09 and SSP1 that I marked 255 (and HS14 which is the wifi/bt M.2 card)

cool.. now it is also clear to me what yesterday you referred to.. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back