XFX 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi.

I am running Lion 10.7.2 on an Asus P5KPL with Core 2 Quad 2.4hgz (Q6660) and an XFX 5770

I have managed to get the ROM that I extracted with GPU-Z to load (this took me forever to work out, the trick is the file should be named <vendorid>_<devid>_<subsysid>.rom *BUT* subsysid should be little endian... for instance my subsysid was reported as 1682:2992, so the subsysid should be written 29921682)

I have only managed to get the card to show as 5700 Series in System Report... not as 5770 :( however the Vervet framebuffer is loading and so it looks like I have full QE/CI (DVD Player works)

basically everything works pretty well, my main problem is that the GPU fan is running at 90%+ almost constantly for no reason, and it's bloody annoying... I have tried using the RBE utility to set the fan speed lower in the BIOS, but OSX refuses to respect my fan-speed authoritah :(

I am going to try extracting a DSDT (I didn't need this at first, but I want to rule out that as a problem)

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix?

Updates : Extracting DSDT made no difference :( some additional info: I am using the Chimera bootloader from latest Multibeast...

I have had a part success.

By using this ROM file http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/58317/XFX.HD5770.1024.090926.html and placing it in /Extra/ with correct filename has reduced the fan speed somewhat.

Still only shows as 5700 series rather than a specific 5770 card. I'm dubious about flashing the card with this ROM since it's not the exact Subsystem id as my card. (2990 instead of 2992) Might this help though and does anyone have a clue what are the chances of me borking the card with this BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back