Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Config atm is:
m/b: asus z9pe-d8 ws
cpus: 2x E5-2609v2 (waiting for 2x e5-2650v2)
ram: 32Gb registered ecc
bios: 5304 / 5601-modded (working on both)
gva: gtx970 / radeon 5770 for installation (both in slot 5)

Bios settings (after loading default):

Intel I/OAT - Enabled
VT-d - Disabled

In Boot menu:
Launch CSM - Always
Boot option filter - UEFI and Legacy
Launch PXE OpROM policy - Legacy only
Launch Storage OpROM policy - UEFI only
Launch Video OpROM policy - Legacy only
Other PCI device ROM policy - Legacy OpROM

USB drive creating:
Download the latest distributive from AppStore (10.11.4 atm).
Run Unibeast and choose UEFI mode with no additional options.
Open EFI partition in finder and made next changers:
Replace config.plist with attached config-usb.plist (don't forget to rename it).
Move AppleIntelE1000e.kext and FakeSMC.kext from to EFI-CLOVER-kexts-10.11 to EFI-CLOVER-kexts-Other and remove all numbered folders.

After installation:
Use attached z9pe.mb in Multibeast to install loader on hdd/ssd.
Open EFI partition in finder and replace config.plist with attached config-hdd.plist (don't forget to rename it).

For gtx970:
Install nvidia web driver.
Install attached AppleGraphicsControl.kext (i used Kext Utility).

I noticed in your hdd config.plist that you have HDA patches, did these actually get your onboard audio working as mine is still mute ?

Martin

I noticed in your hdd config.plist that you have HDA patches, did these actually get your onboard audio working as mine is still mute ?

Martin

No, sound is not working cos of npci=0x2(3)000. I just didn't reconfigure plist after testing.

No, sound is not working cos of npci=0x2(3)000. I just didn't reconfigure plist after testing.

Yes i remember the days well with 0x2000 or 0x3000, the latter used to block out some of the USB ports, 0x2000 gets all USB's but I have never managed to get audio either, which is why i got all excited to see those injections/patches in your plist.

They have definitely done something though because YouTube videos will now play even with no audio output, whereas before they would just freeze. I have been looking at Tolado posts and just got even more confused - lol

I am stuck with no Turbo modes - very important for my rendering (I noticed in your BIOS that you had disabled turbo and auto multiplier, I assume you never got speed step working either then ?)

No Audio either from HDMI or ALC898 8.1

No USB3 displayed in system info but they are working

Other than those niggles everything is great

Martin

Yes i remember the days well with 0x2000 or 0x3000, the latter used to block out some of the USB ports, 0x2000 gets all USB's but I have never managed to get audio either, which is why i got all excited to see those injections/patches in your plist.

They have definitely done something though because YouTube videos will now play even with no audio output, whereas before they would just freeze. I have been looking at Tolado posts and just got even more confused - lol

I am stuck with no Turbo modes - very important for my rendering (I noticed in your BIOS that you had disabled turbo and auto multiplier, I assume you never got speed step working either then ?)

No Audio either from HDMI or ALC898 8.1

No USB3 displayed in system info but they are working

Other than those niggles everything is great

Martin

I didn't disable TurboBoost. I've been testing on 2609v2 cpus and they don't support TurboBoost.
Maybe correctly generated SSDT file will helpo_O

For audio: delete fixes in plist with CloverConfigurator and install VooDooHDA 2.8.8

I didn't disable TurboBoost. I've been testing on 2609v2 cpus and they don't support TurboBoost.
Maybe correctly generated SSDT file will helpo_O

For audio: delete fixes in plist with CloverConfigurator and install VooDooHDA 2.8.8

Been trying everything possible to get ssdtPRGen to give me a good SSDT but it warns about sandy bridge not being happy with my smBios 3,1 Mac Pro, but I don't know for sure if that's what is stopping the speed stepping or not, but it was dead easy with my v2 E5-2620's the script worked first time with those chips.

Tried VooDooHDA 2.8.8 too last night with no joy for audio :banghead:

The two things i need the most and i can get neither working, sound is easily by-passed by adding a USB sound card, but the speed step i really need. Can't be rebooting to set the clock speed and multiplier whenever i need to render lol, and i am not willing to run my cpu's @ 3.01 Ghz all the time either.

Martin

How bizarre is this - VooDooHDA crapped out yesterday with no voodoo devices found, so I reinstalled it tonight and it's found the onboard ALC898 but it sounds awful, just whistles squeaks and white noise, however I now have HDMI audio and that's fine by me :clap:

Martin

Hi i followed your guide, i have the z9pa-d8 motherboard, and i've encountered this problems:

1 my duel e5-2670 are "2x2.6 ghz unknown" and i can boot only if i disable hyperthreding unless it goes in kernel panic
2 it shows only half of the ram, 16 instead of 32
3 usb 3.0 doesn't work after generic usb 3.0 kext fix
4 with the gtx 970 i pass the boot only with nv-disable=1 if i use nvda-drv=1 the screen goes off and after a while the Pc reboot

osx is el captain 10.11.4
for boot i use "dart=0 npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 nvda-drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1"

Thanks in advance for anyone who will help!

Does someone knowing a solution to getting a full working Graphics card in an other Slot than nr.5? This slot is too low in position so that i get problems with cooling my vga card. Best would be getting a working card in slot nr.1

At the moment i only get my card full working in slot 5, all other are giving me a black screen on boot with "display standby".

Thanks in advance

Hi i followed your guide, i have the z9pa-d8 motherboard, and i've encountered this problems:

1 my duel e5-2670 are "2x2.6 ghz unknown" and i can boot only if i disable hyperthreding unless it goes in kernel panic
2 it shows only half of the ram, 16 instead of 32
3 usb 3.0 doesn't work after generic usb 3.0 kext fix
4 with the gtx 970 i pass the boot only with nv-disable=1 if i use nvda-drv=1 the screen goes off and after a while the Pc reboot

osx is el captain 10.11.4
for boot i use "dart=0 npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 nvda-drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1"

Thanks in advance for anyone who will help!

Taking your points i will take a stab at the ones i can offer answers to ...

1. E5-2670 v1 32 threads OS X can handle however v2 series are 40 threads total and can't be handled. 24 threads total is OS X assumed maximum but it will go to 32.

2. Half the RAM being displayed is no real worry, a lot of this depends on the SMBios settings. The profiler should show the full memory.

3. USB3 does not show in the profiler and is a known issue with El-Capitan where Apple made some changes to the detection routines that now prevent them showing in the profiler but they should work if you plug something into them.

4. Known issue with ASUS Bios, pie slot 5,6,7 all seem to work fine and some have managed to get slot 3 to play. No idea why this should be so but it is. 0x3000 is unusual for this board and that could be knocking out USB 3 - It does here, i have to use 0x2000.

If you are using Clover change the ports=2 to ports=0 in the graphics section of your config.plist

Martin

Does someone knowing a solution to getting a full working Graphics card in an other Slot than nr.5? This slot is too low in position so that i get problems with cooling my vga card. Best would be getting a working card in slot nr.1

At the moment i only get my card full working in slot 5, all other are giving me a black screen on boot with "display standby".

Thanks in advance

I am guessing at this, but Mac Pro's 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 only have 5 PCI/e slots so my theory is that the slots probably don't comply with whatever detection routines until such time as they are seen as a discreet/add on card. Even if i put a true Apple ATi Radeon card into slots 1-4 my computer will reboot every time during PCI detection phase .... Like i say though, it's just a guess.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back