Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using Clover change the ports=2 to ports=0 in the graphics section of your config.plist

What does that do?

I am guessing at this, but Mac Pro's 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 only have 5 PCI/e slots so my theory is that the slots probably don't comply with whatever detection routines

It does seems reasonable to assume that the PCI detection code could have some multi-socket specific stuff that, when engaged, assumes it's dealing with a cMP. So that even though it's pretty much the same platform, you don't see the issue with an X79. Possibly this could be located in the xnu code, hrmmmm.

What does that do?

Again I am not certain, but the understanding i settled on for myself was that entering 0 here forces a detection phase that helps with ATi frame buffer name detection and gets the graphics card to reveal how many ports the card actually has. It's supposed to help with the black screen and white screen issues. It works on my GTX660Ti with El-Capitan only, with all the other lower versions down to ML and may card works fine OOB.

It does seems reasonable to assume that the PCI detection code could have some multi-socket specific stuff that, when engaged, assumes it's dealing with a cMP. So that even though it's pretty much the same platform, you don't see the issue with an X79. Possibly this could be located in the xnu code, hrmmmm.

Never dug that deep into it because it just works with PCI/e from slot 5 onwards on my motherboard, and to be honest I wouldn't know where to start investigating things down to that level and since i have never done any scripting or coding for OS X i don't have any experience. The other theory I looked at for a while was that maybe the voltage/wattage of the processors fitted elected things. My newer v2 80watt chips can get me to slot 3 where as my older 130watt v1 Xeon chips want PCI/e 5 or above.

Martin

Taking your points i will take a stab at the ones i can offer answers to ...

1. E5-2670 v1 32 threads OS X can handle however v2 series are 40 threads total and can't be handled. 24 threads total is OS X assumed maximum but it will go to 32.

Martin

Hmm... i got fully working 2x 12 Core CPUs with HT. 48 Threads. Full working with all threads.

Ram only half visible!

Try this if Ram is only half visible.

To get all Ram to work correct put your memory in your Clover config.plist.
If it shows less it is not just cosmetic!

For me it looks like this with memory in slot 0,1,4,5
Add more blocks for more modules but don't forget to give them the numbers 2,3,6,7.
For size of the modules use 16384,8192,4096,2048.

Or just use clover configurator

<key>Memory</key>
<dict>
<key>Channels</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Modules</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Frequency</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>Part</key>
<string>F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL</string>
<key>Size</key>
<string>8192</string>
<key>Slot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>G-Skill</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Frequency</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>Part</key>
<key>Size</key>
<string>8192</string>
<key>Slot</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>G-Skill</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Frequency</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>Part</key>
<key>Size</key>
<string>8192</string>
<key>Slot</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>G-Skill</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Frequency</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>Part</key>
<key>Size</key>
<string>8192</string>
<key>Slot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>G-Skill</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>SlotCount</key>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>

GTX 750 finally working on Z9PE-D8 ws.

GTX 750 finally working on Z9PE-D8 ws.

To get my GTX 750 finally working I tried everything..
But then slot 5 worked perfect.
Bios setting in CSM is legacy video dunno if it works for uefi too.
You need to have 2 CPU on the board.
As I first tested my board with only 1 CPU and tried slot 5 but as slot 5-7 are controlled by CPU 2 so nothing happened then. :)

2x Xeon E5-2670 v1 on Z9PE-D8 WS - GeekBench 37,000 OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 with Speedstep and Turbo working!

I am no expert but I got it to work with..

Step 1

do the bios mod from Dr. Seltsam from youtube as it works on bios 5802 aswell.

Step 2

Use a modified AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Step 3

VoodooTSCSync.kext modified for your maximum thread amount-1 as the 0 again is counted as a thread.
Put the number in: IOKitPersonalities/VoodooTSCSync/IOPropertyMatch/IOCPUNumber (for me this was 31).

Step 4

SSDT generated with ssdtPRGen.sh
Used MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and use ~/ssdtPRGen.sh in the terminal.
For v1 CPU there is a problem as the script only accepts v2 with MacPro6,1 SMBios.
So to fool the script I put -c 2
But as a v1 specs are different it can't find your processor so I added.
-f 2600 -l 32 -p E5-2670 -turbo 3300 -t 115
So all together it looks like this.

~/ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -f 2600 -l 32 -p E5-2670 -turbo 3300 -t 115

Not hard to guess what the numbers need to be for other setups if you look at it.

Step 5

Put it in efi/clover/acpi/patched ( if it is the only one name it SSDT.aml or if there is one like that name it SSDT-1.aml

Here a download link from wetransfer for my biosmod, config.plist, SSDT.aml (2xE5-2670v1) and EFI folder to browse or use at own risk ;-)

https://we.tl/12Caxlr9Yv

Again I am not certain, but the understanding i settled on for myself was that entering 0 here forces a detection phase that helps with ATi frame buffer name detection and gets the graphics card to reveal how many ports the card actually has. It's supposed to help with the black screen and white screen issues. It works on my GTX660Ti with El-Capitan only, with all the other lower versions down to ML and may card works fine OOB.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Never dug that deep into it because it just works with PCI/e from slot 5 onwards on my motherboard, and to be honest I wouldn't know where to start investigating things down to that level and since i have never done any scripting or coding for OS X i don't have any experience. The other theory I looked at for a while was that maybe the voltage/wattage of the processors fitted elected things. My newer v2 80watt chips can get me to slot 3 where as my older 130watt v1 Xeon chips want PCI/e 5 or above.

It's the v1/v2 difference, more likely. I looked at source code for IOPCIFamily, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It is interesting to note that in the last cMP dual-socket system, based on Westmere-EP, the PCI-e lanes were a function of the chipset. That's no longer the case. Since Sandy Bridge, the northbridge is integrated, so you have one PCI-e controller for each CPU. If the bus doesn't get scanned correctly, I think this is why: although Apple has made multiple CPU systems, they haven't made one with multiple PCI-e interfaces.

Hmm... i got fully working 2x 12 Core CPUs with HT. 48 Threads. Full working with all threads.

Then you have done exceptionally well :)

Martin

2x Xeon E5-2670 v1 on Z9PE-D8 WS - GeekBench 37,000 OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 with Speedstep and Turbo working!

I am no expert but I got it to work with..

Step 1

do the bios mod from Dr. Seltsam from youtube as it works on bios 5802 aswell.

Step 2

Use a modified AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Step 3

VoodooTSCSync.kext modified for your maximum thread amount-1 as the 0 again is counted as a thread.
Put the number in: IOKitPersonalities/VoodooTSCSync/IOPropertyMatch/IOCPUNumber (for me this was 31).

Step 4

SSDT generated with ssdtPRGen.sh
Used MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and use ~/ssdtPRGen.sh in the terminal.
For v1 CPU there is a problem as the script only accepts v2 with MacPro6,1 SMBios.
So to fool the script I put -c 2
But as a v1 specs are different it can't find your processor so I added.
-f 2600 -l 32 -p E5-2670 -turbo 3300 -t 115
So all together it looks like this.

~/ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -f 2600 -l 32 -p E5-2670 -turbo 3300 -t 115

Not hard to guess what the numbers need to be for other setups if you look at it.

Step 5

Put it in efi/clover/acpi/patched ( if it is the only one name it SSDT.aml or if there is one like that name it SSDT-1.aml

Here a download link from wetransfer for my biosmod, config.plist, SSDT.aml (2xE5-2670v1) and EFI folder to browse or use at own risk ;-)

https://we.tl/12Caxlr9Yv

What version of ssdtPRGen did you use, i get unknown option with -c, i have to use target instead, i also have to set the lowest frequency to 1200 and then after all that i still get a kernel panic with P-Limit Not Supported On This Platform .... grrrr!

Still get blank screen on boot too without the SSDT grrrr!!

Speed Step and Turbo is all i need to get fixed here to use 6.1 SMBios, but it still looks like a no go here

Martin

Taking your points i will take a stab at the ones i can offer answers to ...

1. E5-2670 v1 32 threads OS X can handle however v2 series are 40 threads total and can't be handled. 24 threads total is OS X assumed maximum but it will go to 32.

2. Half the RAM being displayed is no real worry, a lot of this depends on the SMBios settings. The profiler should show the full memory.

3. USB3 does not show in the profiler and is a known issue with El-Capitan where Apple made some changes to the detection routines that now prevent them showing in the profiler but they should work if you plug something into them.

4. Known issue with ASUS Bios, pie slot 5,6,7 all seem to work fine and some have managed to get slot 3 to play. No idea why this should be so but it is. 0x3000 is unusual for this board and that could be knocking out USB 3 - It does here, i have to use 0x2000.

If you are using Clover change the ports=2 to ports=0 in the graphics section of your config.plist

Martin

Hi, thanks Martin

I followed your suggestions and was able to resolve all the problems exept the graphics card.
I made some reserch and my motherboard, the z9pa-d8 (not WS), if true has all the pci lanes connected to the cpu1, maybe that's the problem. i've tryed with a gtx 670 and the boot stops at the PCI Configuration.

Config: 2xe5-2670, z9pa-d8, 32gb ddr3 ecc (4x8), ssd, gtx 970
boot: -v dart=0 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 nvda_drv=1 cpus=31

Have anyone made a successfull installation with the same motherboard? (z9pa-d8 not WS) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back