Contribute
Register

X58a-UD3R macos Sierra with the very old guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finally got a successful update done on this old system. Just clean install of 10.12.2. Took my multiple tries and endless reboots and reformatting of hard drives to get it right.

I have the following system:

GA-X58A-URD3 2.0 with FE bios
950 i7 CPU
ATI Radeon HD 5870

I first updated the Mac ID to 14.2
Cloned (using carbon copy) the hard drive to spare SSD
Installed clover onto this new install.
Rebooted in new hard drive to 10.9.5
Transferred FakeSMC.kext and RealRTL8111.kext into EFI/clover/kexts/other
Updated clover to clover version 3974 https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverfiboot/
download new sierra 10.12.2 from appstore, started installation
reboot to recovery directory
reformat harddrive with disk utility
install 10.12.2 (this is clean install, when I tried to install over prior copy it always failed)
After boot then run multibeast 9.01 and install realtek ALC 889

Now everything works, sound, sleep, poweroff, ethernet etc

I have finally got a successful update done on this old system. Just clean install of 10.12.2. Took my multiple tries and endless reboots and reformatting of hard drives to get it right.

I have the following system:

GA-X58A-URD3 2.0 with FE bios
950 i7 CPU
ATI Radeon HD 5870

I first updated the Mac ID to 14.2
Cloned (using carbon copy) the hard drive to spare SSD
Installed clover onto this new install.
Rebooted in new hard drive to 10.9.5
Transferred FakeSMC.kext and RealRTL8111.kext into EFI/clover/kexts/other
Updated clover to clover version 3974 https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverfiboot/
download new sierra 10.12.2 from appstore, started installation
reboot to recovery directory
reformat harddrive with disk utility
install 10.12.2 (this is clean install, when I tried to install over prior copy it always failed)
After boot then run multibeast 9.01 and install realtek ALC 889

Now everything works, sound, sleep, poweroff, ethernet etc

Have you tried putting the computer to sleep while a USB3 hard drive is plugged in? My computer goes to sleep and wakes up now, but it ejects all external hard drives when it wakes up. Also, would you mind zipping up and including your EFI folder? I'd like to compare it against mine to see if anything else is different.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting the computer to sleep while a USB3 hard drive is plugged in? My computer goes to sleep and wakes up now, but it ejects all external hard drives when it wakes up. Also, would you mind zipping up and including your EFI folder? I'd like to compare it against mine to see if anything else is different.
Hear is a brief update:

Sleep works fine. I have not turned on the USB3 drives. I do have USB3 type flash drive but have not tried yet. May give it go given your issues. I have not switched out my SSD's. I had a 120GB to do all the testing in and a backup 240gb. I cloned the finala working copy of 120gb to 240gb, still worked fine. Lost the sound but reinstalled via multibeast. Now sound works fine.

Issues I am still having:

Waking from sleep is odd, works but have to tap keyboard 2-3 times before screen turns on.

Shutdown not always working, sleep is fine. Will just reboot rather than shutdown. Sometimes it will shut down, not a big issue.

Identifies my graphics card as ATI 5000 rather than ATI5870.

iMessage is not working well. Some messages come through, most are lost. No pattern to what is happening that I can figure out.

By the way I am using clover version 3974

I will post zip file once I figure how to do that

Here is zip file of efi folder:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 107
Hear is a brief update:

Sleep works fine. I have not turned on the USB3 drives. I do have USB3 type flash drive but have not tried yet. May give it go given your issues. I have not switched out my SSD's. I had a 120GB to do all the testing in and a backup 240gb. I cloned the finala working copy of 120gb to 240gb, still worked fine. Lost the sound but reinstalled via multibeast. Now sound works fine.

Issues I am still having:

Waking from sleep is odd, works but have to tap keyboard 2-3 times before screen turns on.

Shutdown not always working, sleep is fine. Will just reboot rather than shutdown. Sometimes it will shut down, not a big issue.

Identifies my graphics card as ATI 5000 rather than ATI5870.

iMessage is not working well. Some messages come through, most are lost. No pattern to what is happening that I can figure out.

By the way I am using clover version 3974

I will post zip file once I figure how to do that

Could you let me know when you test to see if it ejects your external drives after sleep? I've just retested this and confirmed it ejects all USB drives no matter what port they are plugged into. This issue has plagued my machine for about a month now.

However, I'm not having the other issues you mentioned. My build shuts down and restarts correctly. It also wakes up instantly from sleep, but ejects the drives when it does. Ughh.

I've been comparing our EFI folders / config as well. Don't know which setup is the best though. I'll post more details in a bit.

I've put together a quick comparison of our specs / clover setup and attached a copy of my EFI folder as well. Maybe we could use this and your usb tests to figure out how to fix our builds?

And I'd welcome input from anyone else if they have any ideas how to fix my issues with USB drives ejecting after sleep or the "Advanced BIOS Settings" overclocking itself.

My Hackintosh Specs
  • GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0
  • i7-950 CPU
  • Geforce GTX 760
  • Samsung 840 Pro SSD
My Setup Differences / Notes
  • Clover 3923
  • I've added the DSDT for our board/bios revision from the TonyMac database
  • I've added the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Don’t know if this helps or hurts.
  • I've got USB3 disabled in my bios to fix an issue with Finder crashing when waking up from sleep. Added the XhciDxe-64.efi driver under drivers64 to re-enable it. Ports work, but have not tested for speed.
  • Differences with config.plist listed below.
Key​
Your Config​
My Config​
DSDT False, uses config patches. True, uses TonyMac DSDT
CStates / PStates False True
Boot Arguments dart=0 -v dart=0 darkwake=0 kext-dev-mode=1
XMPDetection No Yes
ResetHDA Not mentioned True
FixOwnership False True
AsusAICPUPM True False
KernelPm True False
Audio AppleHDA config patches VoodoHDA, so no patches
Trim Patch False, not using SSD yet True, installed on SSD
External Icons Patch True False, disabled it
CsrActiveConfig 0x3 0x67
SMBIOS iMac14,2 (don't see it though) MacPro5,1
Kext Cache Enabled Disabled

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.9 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I did turn on USB3 in the bios and installed the drivers via Multibeast. I then tested the UBS3 flashdrive in each of the USB posts. Tried the standard USB2 and USB3. All are detected as USB2 only and speed testing drive suggests only USB2 speeds obtained.

Here is my current EFI file.

I do not have a problem of USB flashdrive being ejected when wake from sleep. Still can not power off. Sleep is fine.

Bit busy at work so will see if I can play around with this tonight

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21 MB · Views: 82
I did turn on USB3 in the bios and installed the drivers via Multibeast. I then tested the UBS3 flashdrive in each of the USB posts. Tried the standard USB2 and USB3. All are detected as USB2 only and speed testing drive suggests only USB2 speeds obtained.

Here is my current EFI file.

I do not have a problem of USB flashdrive being ejected when wake from sleep. Still can not power off. Sleep is fine.

Bit busy at work so will see if I can play around with this tonight
There is no driver for the NEC/Renesas USB3 chip on the X58A boards in OS X since Lion.

There is no driver for the NEC/Renesas USB3 chip on the X58A boards in OS X since Lion.

So there's no third-party kext or Clover driver that enables USB3 for the X58A boards in Sierra? Which OS do you have installed on your X58A system?

So there's no third-party kext or Clover driver that enables USB3 for the X58A boards in Sierra? Which OS do you have installed on your X58A system?
I have a drive for the last released version of each OS - 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10. 10.11, 10.12.
I swap the drives in-and-out of a Kingwin KF-251-BK hot swap tray.
All versions run 100%, although I did have to switch to Clover and MacPro4,1 with El Capitan and then to MP5,1 with Sierra for the System Definition - needed the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext patch for non-ECC RAM for the 4,1 and 5,1.

There is a copy of the config.plist I am using and my edited DSDT for the UD-7 Rev one board @ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-pb3-and-ga-x58a-ud7.199355/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back