Contribute
Register

X58a-UD3R macos Sierra with the very old guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got Sierra successfully installed on my X58a-UD3R. Main problem is shutdown/restart, appears to power down but the fans are still running, seems to be a common problem with X58 boards but I haven't come across a fix yet if anyone knows of one? Once I got that working I will then move onto fixing the audio.

Are you using a DSDT file in clover's patched folder? The shutdown/fake shutdown thing happened to me in El Cap if I didn't use a DSDT. (I haven't had time to update to Sierra yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not that way.)

Are you using a DSDT file in clover's patched folder? The shutdown/fake shutdown thing happened to me in El Cap if I didn't use a DSDT. (I haven't had time to update to Sierra yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not that way.)

Yes I'm using a DSDT.

I've got Sierra successfully installed on my X58a-UD3R. Main problem is shutdown/restart, appears to power down but the fans are still running, seems to be a common problem with X58 boards but I haven't come across a fix yet if anyone knows of one? Once I got that working I will then move onto fixing the audio.
A properly edited DSDT will fix that - my build has no problem with sleep/wake/shutdown/reboot/hibernation.

A properly edited DSDT will fix that - my build has no problem with sleep/wake/shutdown/reboot/hibernation.

I am using the DSDT you posted here for the GA-X58A-UD7, or would I be better just using the one from the DSDT database? Anyone got a well edited X58a-UD3R handy?

I am using the DSDT you posted here for the GA-X58A-UD7, or would I be better just using the one from the DSDT database? Anyone got a well edited X58a-UD3R handy?
Do not use the DSDT for the UD7 - use it for a guide to what to change in the DSDT you extract from your own UD3R.
Using a DSDT from someone else's board is a recipe for trouble.

Do not use the DSDT for the UD7 - use it for a guide to what to change in the DSDT you extract from your own UD3R.
Using a DSDT from someone else's board is a recipe for trouble.

Thanks for clearing that up, I tried using the DSDT from the Tonymac database and behold shutdown/restart works. I've also got audio working. I'll have a go at extracting my own DSDT and comparing to your UD7 version to see what changes need to be made to get sleep working. Thanks for your help so far!

Thanks for clearing that up, I tried using the DSDT from the Tonymac database and behold shutdown/restart works. I've also got audio working. I'll have a go at extracting my own DSDT and comparing to your UD7 version to see what changes need to be made to get sleep working. Thanks for your help so far!
Better to go by d00d's excellent guide to native power management on EX58, X58A motherboards over on insanelymac site. It is the guide I used to edit my DSDT.

Better to go by d00d's excellent guide to native power management on EX58, X58A motherboards over on insanelymac site. It is the guide I used to edit my DSDT.

Thanks for the heads up, just checked out the thread, wow that is one long post! Looking forward to trying that out.

I had shutdown problems for every version of El Capitan, and they've gone now - my computer shuts down perfectly. The significant thing for me was to use 5,1 as my System Definition. Everything works now, which surprises me - how long are these boards going to keep working?! I've got a Xeon X5650 too, a hexacore, which cost fifty quid. They originally cost fortunes new. I'd put one in any X58 set up that can take it.

For your audio issue - make sure that your EFI partition is mounted before running the new Toleda ALC script and you should be ok - our motherboard use the ALC889 chip. You can do this with Multibeast too, but you still need to mount your EFI folder, I found.

Updating your current BIOS to back up BIOS - it's built into your BIOS, look at the options at the bottom of the screen when you're in your BIOS - the guide in the link in post 18 is the one I followed.

So I've extracted my DSDT.aml under Linux, disassembled it with iasl and opened it in MacIasl - do I need any patches other than the original MacMan patches from http://www.tonymacx86.com/DSDT/ (because having looked at all of this for a long time this appears to be just too simple).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back