Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean the Hard drive, yeah. I use GUID without issues. At least with how far I have gotten.

On the USB setup installer, I guess MBR is the way to go. The older Unibeast, 5.2 I could set that usb stick as either GUID or MBR.

Since USB ports are configured based on what model we choose in SMBIOS, is there a particular Mac model that might work off the bat with X58A-UD3R mobo? USB fix guides mention about changing EHc1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 respectively. I tried doing that but it did not help.

I have been trying to get clover to boot an installer for over a year now. I got it to boot finally an hour ago using the settings Tony talked about in his post (our motherboards are similar).

My Moherboard -
GA-EX58-UD3R 1.6/1.7 FK
Graphics -
Nvidia 480gtx

The only thing I had to change was I had to add "nv_disable=1" to the boot, or my computer would restart before the installed launched. The install is in a lower resolution, but its almost done now.

I formatted the drive in GUID, which something tells me is going to be a problem...

Update:
it's done now...

No Sound
Resolution is wrong, and I can't change it, OS is not seeing my graphic card correctly.
Working Bluetooth

Wow this is a lot to sort through...

Update Two:

Still booting from the USB, I don't know if I can get clover to boot without it because the HDD is in GUID mode.

I got the graphics to work by doing the following -
1. Installed the latest nvidia web driver, and shut the machine down.
2. I have Clover Configurator installed on another machine, which I used to edit the "config.plist" file deselecting "nv_disable=1," and selecting "nvda_drv=1." I also selected the kext developer option (I forget what it's called, but I remember you had to have it enabled in Yosemite for the system to boot. For some reason El Capitan boots using Clover without it, but I thought what the hell).
When I booted up, the machine restarted before the OS loaded.
3. I founded Nivida graphic got unchecked in the graphics area for some reason, I checked that and the system booted beautiful.

It appears to boot, and shut down more slowly using Clover, but graphics wise it boots cleaner.
iMessage just worked on boot, which is crazy!

Update Three:

1. Started to have some crazy issues shutting down the computer. The only thing that fixed it was unchecking the "nvda_drv=1" flag.
I tried using Darkwake option that I saw on some post, which said you should couple with "nvda_drv=1" flag, but it didn't work.
2. I also started having some really bad problems with my magic mouse which is connected over bluetooth, the fix was to uncheck the USBfix, which Tony had in his config.plist file.
3. At that point I was ready to get this machine to self boot without the usb, I installed Tony's legacy package, rebooted and got the "boot0af: error" which seemed logical to me (drive was using the GUID partition scheme). I reformatted the drive in MBR, and at that moment I remembered (because of the installer error message), you can't install OS X if the drive isn't GUID

Problems/Questions:
System doesn't wake from sleep
How to get my sound to work? "888 Legacy"
With my HDD partitioned in GUID is that going to be a problem?
How can I get the system to boot without the USB;
also how can I get it to boot automatically without having to select the HDD.

This is the furthest I got using Clover, I'm going to keep going slowly. I have no exceptions, I still got I fully working Yosemite
partition using climara on another drive.

In closing - - I love all you guys, you guys are amazing.

I get a boot0af: error after installing legacy clover and booting from hard drive. Is that similar to the boot0 advanced format error on newer hard drives? I can get to El Capitan desktop with the clover unibeast stick.

now i got a weird problem
clover no longer sees my EL Captian partition when booting up
so i can't choose to boot from there now
what could have caused this?

Did you make a UEFI installer or a Legacy installer? I tried both and my UEFI USB installer did the same thing yours did.

Problems/Questions:
System doesn't wake from sleep
How to get my sound to work? "888 Legacy"
With my HDD partitioned in GUID is that going to be a problem?
How can I get the system to boot without the USB

Click install clover in ESP

Also, I think Tony's config file unchecked nvidia injection. I have a gtx 480 and did not need any boot flags after I rechecked nvidia injection.

same problem here, with legacy boot, clover cannot see even my yosemite partition, that is still there

Mine pretty much failed at testing Clover. A Unibeast drive done in MBR with Tonymac's config.plist worked like a charm and booted my Yosemite install (though ignored the Nvidia drivers), and after unplugging my keyboard from the external hub and into a USB 3 port (to get into BIOS to set up the boot disk), then into a 2.0 port, I could control it.

But while this version of Clover can at least see my Windows disk on the Marvell controller (my earlier adoption of Clover was abandoned due to its inability to do this), I can't boot it, no matter which of the 3 partitions I try. Not sure whether it's because it's on the Marvell controller or because Clover's not installed to a fixed disk. I put the Windows disk on the Marvell chip for performance reasons and I'm reticent to change it. The F12 boot menu hasn't really worked since I got my Apple keyboard, and has always taken badly to repeated presses of the key, hanging the boot process and occasionally needing a cold restart.

I'm missing something here... any ideas? I'd like to get El Cap running, but I'm thinking it'll have to wait until I swap this old X58 core for something in Z97 (or better, support willing) around Christmas. Or until Chimera supports it. Whichever happens first.

With Clover bootloader, I have never been able to boot into the OS if the partition was GUID. So I Have always installed the MBR patch in the USB installer that would allow me to install OS on a MBR partition. By default, Apple does not allow installation on a MBR partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back