Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about USB3 ports? On my GA-X58A-UD7 they don't work.

What about USB3 ports? On my GA-X58A-UD7 they don't work.

This is because they require a 3rd party driver which has not existed in OS X since Lion. No NEC/Renesas drivers to be found for El cap. If you want/need USB3.0 you have to get a PCIe card.

Thank you, I'll go for a card if needed.

edit: forgot to quote. fixed below.

I got it:

Download Clover Configurator on yosemite, then select the USB -> EFI -> CLOVER -> config.plist file
under ACPI, select these settings.

Running El Cap now almost perfectly with these settings.
I'm pretty new with Clover, so no doubt i'll have to reinstall it a couple of times more after i'm done playing around with some kexts and settings.

Board: EX58-UD5
CPU: i7 930
GPU: GTX670

thanks to audioguyjosh for the original settings

View attachment 153414

I've got the same mobo with an i7-975 and am getting the same exact kernel panic that you had: https://i.imgur.com/qPetwh9.jpg

I've tried your exact same boot settings and cannot get past the same kernel panic screen. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I wonder if anyone here using the GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard is with hibernation running smoothly and also the HWMonitor with all sensors working?
2015-11-20_20-44-12.jpg

Good day.
Sorry my English, I partially use Google translate.
I install El Capitan and start it with next patches:
Add Darwin
Add MCHC
Fix IPIC
Add DTGP

After reboot - I always have black screen with mouse cursor. How can I fix it?

Can anyone help me unravel a strange problem I'm having?

I can boot El Capitan fine from a USB stick made with Unibeast (6.1.1)-- but for the life of me I cannot get the same SSD to boot on its own with Clover!

The only modifications I made to the USB stick was to choose legacy and ati inject, then I added the following to the Config file so that my ATI 5770 would book my ACD 27" LED via minidisplay port:

<key>FBName</key>
<string>Vervet</string>

and

<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>
<key>VideoPorts</key>
<integer>4</integer>

In any case, that doesn't seem to be the problem, since it allowed me to get miniDP and dual monitors working when booting from the USB.

So I installed El Cap to an internal SSD, rebooted via USB Unibeast, and ran Multibeast as recommended. When I rebooted again (after making my config edits for the GPU as above), I got to Clover, but it only showed one of my drives, and the resolution was way too long-- and as soon as I chose to boot from the internal drive it would hang at the black screen with the Apple logo and empty loading bar.

I powered off, rebooted, and tried the other method: Deleted the EFI contents from the internal drive, and copied to the EFI partition of that drive the EFI contents of my working USB stick.

When I reboot, before I even get to Clover, I get: b1f init, b1f error and it hangs... It does this no matter what I try.

I should note:

In addition to the SSD, I have
1TB internal HDD formatted in two partitions: 10.9 and Win7
3TB internal HDD (no system) for photos
3TB internal HDD (no system) again for photos
2TB Software RAID (1TB + 1TB HDD; no system) for my FCPX editing drive

I also have a primary SSD (10.0.5 w/ Chameleon) that I have been keeping unplugged while attempting to get my test drive booting with clover without a USB stick. If I do plug it in... Clover will boot it also as long as I use the USB stick Clover install.

I'm somewhat at a loss.

A part of me wonders if the problem is that the USB stick was formatted MBR (as recommended for X58), but my internal SSD is formatted GUID (which I thought was supposed to work)? I don't want to mess with reformatting the EFI partition of my internal SSD to MBR or Fat32 or whatever unless that's really necessary.

Thoughts, help?

Oddly:

I deleted everything in the SSD's EFI partition, and reinstalled using Multibeast 8.0.1 (no ATI injection, no changes to the config file at all)-- and it booted from the SSD when I restarted.

But, now it doesn't show my other system folders as potential startup volumes in Clover.

I'm also wondering if anyone has a fix so that all 6 DIMM slots show up? Mine shows 5 available (though I'm only using 4 x 8GB in triple channel mode).

Hey all together (especially audioguyjosh),

does anyone have running El Captain on X8SIL?
I am thinking about buying a SuperMicro X8SIL either with a Xeon X3440 or an i5.
There is a pretty good offer at eBay.

I'd like to run it as a El Cap Server stored in a small network rack.
So the Xeon version seems to be the better option.
What do you think?

Or would you recommend something different?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
session

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back