Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone, I am looking to update to El Capitan. Quick question. There is a lot of information on here and I am new to clover. I have a Yosemite build and it works perfectly and has for a long time. I am going to make a clone of my build. I am understanding there is a new way with a UEFI bios and that having the X58 will be in legacy mode. Forgive me for being ignorant but can I just update from the app store and use clover and unibeast? I have updated my Hackintosh before like that. Am I never going to get iMessage working without Clover or a UEFI bios? Sorry, there is so much information here its incredible. Thanks a lot guys!
UEFI is not required. My X58A-UD7 works fine with the F7 BIOS. Just Use the Clover Legacy Mode selection when you make your UniBeast USB for El Capitan.
What I did when upgrading was to first create the UniBeast USB for ElCap with Legacy Clover so I would have a boot loader. Then, right click on the /Extra folder and select compress to create a zip file I stored in Documents. Then I deleted the /Extra folder after copying the DSDT to the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder on the UniBeast USB.
Only then did I run the ElCap install app.
Remember your 7P's
Proper Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Thanks going bald! You helped me a few years ago as well! Thanks again!!!!

So you think I should go with clover or is it easier to Multibeast? I am seeing here its possible. I still boot into windows once a month I have a dual boot. Main thing here is to just make a smooth update with no having to re-install stuff.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...supported-intel-based-pc.html#create_unibeast

Has Multibeast become widely used as the past again since El Capitan has been released and from what I could tell people were using clover?

Looks kinda like a bigger pain then the DSDT way but if there are benefits I am willing to try. I am trying to avoid any downtime THANKS AGAIN!

Ok, did all that.... Waiting on my carbon copy backup. THANK YOU! You think I should be all good once running the multibeast? I guess the DSDT I have will be the configuration I need?

Should I run the OS update through the downloaded app from the app store OR should I boot and run it with Unibeast? I do not want a clean install I want to keep my files. I know I was through this a year ago+ I just cant remember.

So for me the big question I cant figure out is do I need to skip to "STEP 6: Alternate Post-Installation" with this Motherboard? Is Multibeast and Clover optional or am I lame if I use Multibeast? Is there a upside to having clover boot loader as opposed to Multibeast?

Thank you again!

How did everything go? Your system sounds like mine, working great. I am spooked with the change in how to Hackintosh and everything is working nicely now....

With my GA X58A UD7 I use Toledo's audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0f script included in the essentials tools instead of the voodoo drivers. Toledo´s works perfect. Maybe one can install with Multicast el Captitan version 8.0.1 but have not tried that.

Ok, did all that.... Waiting on my carbon copy backup. THANK YOU! You think I should be all good once running the multibeast? I guess the DSDT I have will be the configuration I need?

Should I run the OS update through the downloaded app from the app store OR should I boot and run it with Unibeast? I do not want a clean install I want to keep my files. I know I was through this a year ago+ I just cant remember.

So for me the big question I cant figure out is do I need to skip to "STEP 6: Alternate Post-Installation" with this Motherboard? Is Multibeast and Clover optional or am I lame if I use Multibeast? Is there a upside to having clover boot loader as opposed to Multibeast?

Thank you again!
CCC backup is on a separate drive, yes?

Once you have a CCC backup, create a UniBeast installer, selecting the Clover Legacy mode.
Disconnect all drives except the clone drive. Boot with the USB UniBeast, select your OS X icon and boot to desktop. Mount the EFI partition of the UniBeast installer and copy your DSDT to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. Copy your /Extra folder to desktop and delete it from root.
If you have not already done so, download the El Capitan install app. Run it. Reboot with the USB UniBeast.
Use El Cap MultiBeast to install Clover and needed kexts - Quick Install->Clover Legacy, then audio and networking. If the EFI did not mount after Clover installation, mount the EFI and copy your DSDT to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. There are some DSDT patches set to true in the default Clover config.plist - you do not need them with a DSDT, so change then to false or delete them.
Run Clover Configurator and use the wand to select a system definition same as you had. Mac Pro 4,1 is closest to actual hardware. Exit CC. From the /Extra folder on your desktop, open the SMBIOS.plist and copy this info into the SMBIOS section of Clover config.plist, replacing that created by Clover Configurator. This will keep your system info same as before to keep problems with iTunes, messaging, app store, etc. to a minimum.

Once you are absolutely certain that your system is working the way you want it, then you can clone the upgraded OS X back to your working drive and use MultiBeast to install Clover, then copy the EFI partition EFI folder from the clone to the working drive.

Yes, I've installed successfully.
You can search my post.
I left some useful information in that post.

The only problem I can't solve is that the machine can't shut down normally.
But you can restart and shut it down manually.

Good Luck.

Your amazing a Going Bald! I read your instructions and I see how you have made me a no nonsense backup by not proceeding with the upgrade on the carbon copy drive. I appreciate that train of thought! I went ahead and backed up the entire drive with Ghost 11. This has worked wonders for me before and it Copies the MBR and as far as I remember it copies all the chimera files so the drive is bootable. So now I have two backups and I am feeling ok about proceeding with a upgrade on my system drive in use. I am
Going to attempt this tonight. What do you think? I have created a unibeast and added multibeast to the drive. I have copied the dsdt but have not deleted the extra folder yet. I'm kinda spooked but this all seems doable. I have a FireWire audio card. The usb3 will work right? What do you think? THANKS AGAIN!

I followed btwnwlds guide from post #231 and my problem seems to be much more upstream. After I successfully make the unibeast install drive and can boot up into the clover bootloader, I cannot seem to use my keyboard or mouse anymore.

I am on a X58a-ud3r rev 2 FH, I have tried all the different usb 2.0 ports in the back, I have also disabled usb 3.0 but for some reason I still cannot even hit enter or click once into the boot loader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back