Contribute
Register

Won't boot after iTunes/Security update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not yet changed any BIOS settings.

Should I load "Optimized Defaults"

ATM if I Save & Exit, I get a black screen, a couple of cursors, before returning to the BIOS "EZ Mode"

I have not yet changed any BIOS settings.

Should I load "Optimized Defaults"

ATM if I Save & Exit, I get a black screen, a couple of cursors, before returning to the BIOS "EZ Mode"

Can you please list out the current issues.

Issue was in 1st post.

I've just disconnected iMac HD and re-connected original SSD. Upon system Start Up this warning was displayed.

IMG_0026.JPG

You would go into the BIOS, set to Default/Optimal, reboot, go into the BIOS, turn off Secure Boot, Serial Port, VT-D, Speed Step, etc. (basically all the settings you need disabled, and/or enabled, to be able to boot into OSX), save, reboot.

Before re-connecting the SSDs and/or HDDs you would want to run 2 passes of MemTest86-for-MAC (Linux/Mac) to make sure the RAM is okay. Then make sure that the USB stick(s) only are inserrted in USB ports that you know that work. For example, you may need to disable USB3.1 (if you have an add-on card then you will probably want to remove it), or set auxiliary USB controllers to disabled or set to USB3.0 or USB2.0 or Legacy.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Scroll down and get the CD or USB ISO.

Last edited:
This is because of Secure Boot is Enabled on BIOS.

Disable it and check.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I got everything up an running again yesterday. It seems that connecting the old iMac HD gave something a kick in the right place.

Can Secure Boot be enabled without entering BIOS? I've not been in there (or made any changes anywhere) since changing fan speed settings at least 6 months ago.

In addition, while iTunes and Safari updated on the 10/12/2016, the update to Sierra never actually happened. Having to update Nvidia drivers late yesterday also led me to believe the update had occurred on the same date.

After the huge fright this has given me I'm not sure that I want to try again.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I got everything up an running again yesterday. It seems that connecting the old iMac HD gave something a kick in the right place.

Can Secure Boot be enabled without entering BIOS? I've not been in there (or made any changes anywhere) since changing fan speed settings at least 6 months ago.

In addition, while iTunes and Safari updated on the 10/12/2016, the update to Sierra never actually happened. Having to update Nvidia drivers late yesterday also led me to believe the update had occurred on the same date.

After the huge fright this has given me I'm not sure that I want to try again.

Recommend having Secure Boot disabled. It'll break Clover. I thought it was one of your drives that was causing the problem my suspicions tells me that its a SMART problem on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back