Contribute
Register

WonkeyDonkey's Steambox Pro - Z87E-ITX - Core i7 4770S - GTX 760 Gaming ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys :)

10.11.4 is out – have you updated to it and is it safe?
Thanks for reporting back :thumbup:

Safe and flawless update via combo update.
Here's a little video ;)

Apple has got issues with iMessage and FaceTime sign in, though (only on a fresh install of 10.11.4).
Please remember to take care about nVidia Drivers, for Maxwell cards (750 and 9xx series).

EDIT: It seems that Apple is working on it. iMessage and FaceTime working right now!

Last edited:
T H A N K Y O U!!!
Reliable as always :thumbup: :)

And thank YOU as well, looking forward :)
(but I'm sad that you're tearing the machine apart - shame on you ;) )

-----
ONE THING, guys:

I really hope that our little community will stay alive and that we'll move onto skylake with an Asrock or similar board when the time comes. :)

I'm not tearing it apart, I'm simply re-purposing it. It will be using the same board and ram, probably a different chassis depending on the outcome of this new bios update request. I will be publishing a build log/guide too if it proves successful.

There are 2 boards to look out for in Asrock's Skylake lineup, depending on your chosen format.

For Matx, I would 100% be going for the Z170M-Extreme4. It has all the tell-tale signs of another great board and the hardware spec is near perfect.

For Mini ITX, then my choice would be the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming ITX AC. The lineup is good for that too. I wouldn't normally opt for a 'gaming' board as I'm not a gamer, but the regular desktop Z170M-ITX AC simply has too much wrong with it. The Fatal1ty ITX board corrects a lot of that.

I've given Asrock some objective feedback and they are passing it on to their R&D teams, as well as working on the Z87 ITX bios. If they don't get the Z87 working the way I have asked, then plan B will probably be to go for the Fatal1ty gaming board mentioned above.

I've also given them an idea for something to greatly improve the value of the Matx board mentioned above, or at least a second/next generation of it.

As always, Asrock are responding in a very timely fashion and responding well to all of this.

Which WIFI card are you using on this build or don't you have one? i like the Logitech K750 as you don't have to worry about changing the batteries :)

Which WIFI card are you using on this build or don't you have one? i like the Logitech K750 as you don't have to worry about changing the batteries :)

Theres a link to the wifi i'm using in post #1.

That is the Dell DW1510. Half height, wireless 'N', no bluetooth, Dell branded.

I rewrote the hardware ID's in the firmware of the cards so they show up as 100% Apple Airport in OSX and require no additional kexts or tweaking. They are 100% OOB and even show up as native apple hardware during the install process.

:thumbup:

Didn't see the link my eyes must be playing tricks on me lol. I was looking for a Mini ITX board with build in WIFI & Bluetooth for a build the one o have doesn't have WIFI Built in which kinda sucks.

Didn't see the link my eyes must be playing tricks on me lol. You got hands off support with the card? I was looking for a Mini ITX board with build in WIFI & Bluetooth for a build the one o have doesn't have WIFI Built in which kinda sucks.

Truth known, Handoff is something I have never looked into. I don't currently have my bluetooth installed and my understanding is that you need both wifi and BT enabled for Handoff.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong on that point though.

Yeah i forgot that you need Bluetooth for Hands off support Bluetooth 4.0 if I'm correct.

I like how many Sata Ports this board has i may purchase this. Not many ITX boards has many Sata Ports.

I like how many Sata Ports this board has i may purchase this. Not many ITX boards has many Sata Ports.

True, but you may find it difficult to get your hands on one these days. Ive not seen any for sale, retail or ebay, for quite some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back