Contribute
Register

WindowServer memory leak on High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downgrading is difficult because of the APFS conversion. Sierra "supports" APFS, but another version which is not compatible. There's no way around erasing the drive really.

Not setting a scaled resolution helped with the memory leak but I'm getting window server crashes now. Really regretting the upgrade.

Not fixed in 10.13.1

Not fixed in 10.13.2b4

I am running a mid-2010 mAcBook pro - and on High Sierra 10.13.2 I had bot windows server and Activity monitor running at around 35% CPU each.
I found a fix from here that worked for me - https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/153397/windowserver-high-cpu-on-yosemite

I applied the first suggestion for the Mission Control. I did not have to log off for this to take effect.
  • Mission Control: switch "Displays have separate Spaces off", switch Dashboard off.Dashboard as an overlay really slowed things down for me
  • Fix disk permissions, reset System Management Controller, reset PRAM (Luis Mercado explained this well at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697). I had some minor success with this, but the issue started occuring later anyway
  • Reduce transparency effects (it's in System Preferences > Accessibility under Display). I've tried this, it might improve the performance but I was missing the look so I've switched it back.
  • Switch off automatic graphic switching (System Preferences > Energy Saver). This was the best option for me, as I don't really worry about energy consumption, but honestly I don't think that there should be a real need for this.

I hope this helps someone else

I have it too. windowserver using 9gb of ram causing slow system. I have High sierra 10.13.3 suplemental update, I mean the last. I tried the default in display, dashboard off etc and the problem persist.

Edit: Unistalling nvidia web driver solve the problem. windowserver is always under 100 mb, Reinstalled nvidia web driver and memory leak is back. I will try an older driver.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Fernan0; I was almost at the point of installing the suplemental update when I saw the notification from your reply. I'll do a backup having this version (without the suplemental update), apply the update and check what's going on with the WindowServer process; gonna get back with the results.
If I may ask, how do you remove the nvidia driver? Do I need to install the nvidia driver manager, or is there a way that I can do that using the shell? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back