Contribute
Register

will these parts work? Sabertooth x79, 4930k, gtx260, ddr3 1866, yosemite, windows 8 dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey hey! I'm putting together my first hackintosh and have some hardware laying around. I want to see if this will all work together:

Asus Sabertooth x79 socket 2011
Intel 4930k 6 core
SSD 2 samsung evo 850 250gb
Video Card: I have a Evga Gtx260 ftw and an EVGA gtx970 superclocked. I know the 970 isn't supported natively, but is the 260?
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866 (4x8GB)
Power Supply: PC Power & cooling 860w

I want to use it for video editing and gaming. The 2 hard drives are each going to be dedicated for OSX yosemite and windows 8.
I also want to run dual monitors.

I've built my share of windows desktops, owned a few macs, but I'm new to hackintoshes. I've browsed this site for hours trying to gather info, but I figured I'd see what the community has to say!

EDIT: Currently set up about 80%. I had to install with Clover, and I ended up using the GTX 970. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the Nvidia Prefpane to stay on the web driver, but it keeps reverting to OSX default driver.

Im wondering the same things as you, my cpu and mobo are the same as yours, and I am wanting the same as you, dual boot. Hopefully someone can help us out

Also, what d you mean the 970 isn't natively supported?

I'm having very similar configurations but unfortunately I couldn't get my install to run...so upset at the moment....

I've made the following bootflags but no luck:

npci=0x2000, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=0,

does someone have any recommendation to my built?

BIOS 4701
CPU: Core-i7 3820 (but already ordered the 4930K!)
MOBO: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: Corsair Venegence 8GB x 8 1600
Disk: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
GPU: GTX 980 x 2 (planning to run in 2-way SLI)

I'm having very similar configurations but unfortunately I couldn't get my install to run...so upset at the moment....

I've made the following bootflags but no luck:

npci=0x2000, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=0,

does someone have any recommendation to my built?

BIOS 4701
CPU: Core-i7 3820 (but already ordered the 4930K!)
MOBO: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: Corsair Venegence 8GB x 8 1600
Disk: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
GPU: GTX 980 x 2 (planning to run in 2-way SLI)
try with

-v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 cpus=1

ncpi=0x2000 makes PCIRootUID=0 redundant and GE=Yes is not needed.
once you get installed, download and install the web drivers for the GTX cards and add

npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1

to your org.chameleon.boot.plist

try with

-v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 cpus=1

ncpi=0x2000 makes PCIRootUID=0 redundant and GE=Yes is not needed.
once you get installed, download and install the web drivers for the GTX cards and add

npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1

to your org.chameleon.boot.plist

@ chatli ya that ^^ I can't remember if I used cpus=1 or not when I was installing yosemite, but that flag will help with compatibility issues while trying to get the installer to run. I believe it makes the processor run on 1 core or something like that. I know for sure I needed npci=0x2000 and nv_disable to run the installer, but I was using clover.

let me know if you can get all the way through the unibeast installer with your hardware. I feel like clover has more compatibility, but it's been difficult for me to find resources and information on post-install stuff.

@ chatli ya that ^^ I can't remember if I used cpus=1 or not when I was installing yosemite, but that flag will help with compatibility issues while trying to get the installer to run. I believe it makes the processor run on 1 core or something like that. I know for sure I needed npci=0x2000 and nv_disable to run the installer, but I was using clover.

let me know if you can get all the way through the unibeast installer with your hardware. I feel like clover has more compatibility, but it's been difficult for me to find resources and information on post-install stuff.

Hi Tim,

You're the man! I've just gone through the unibeast (with the boot flags that you suggested without the "cpus=1"). Downloaded and installed the web driver for my GTX980. It works great!

Now i'm to configure the multibeast...i'll try an error with it! Thanks very much for your kind help.

Last question, do you have your post-install driver and setting with you? nice if you could share :)

Best regards,
Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back