AMD Radeon 6670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone,

So I currently have the following set up and would like to instal Mountain Lion if possible.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU: AMD Radeon 6670. Not sure if it's sapphire, gigabyte, msi, etc. Is there a difference?
RAM: 8gb DDR3 (4gb x 2). Unsure of brand, does it matter?
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 3
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90
WiFi: Netgear WNA3100 N300 USB

I've done a little research and it seems like the components themselves are compatible with 10.8.2 but most of the builds I've seen with the i7 3770k use a different motherboard or GPU. I'd really like to not use the on board GPU if possible. Also, are there any issues when it comes to RAM manufacturers? Similarly, I'm not sure of the manufacturer of my video card. It's an AMD 6670 but I'm not sure if it's from Sapphire, MSI, XFX, Gigabyte, etc. Does that matter? Lastly, are there any issues with USB network adapters?

I'm not looking to make a lot of upgrades or adjustments at the moment as cash is a little tight, though I'm considering buying a second harddrive just for OSx to make my life a little easier for dualbooting. Any advice on a build of this nature would be greatly appreciated, I searched around the forums but couldn't find anything really solid.

Thanks,
CB

Hey everyone,

So I currently have the following set up and would like to instal Mountain Lion if possible.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU: AMD Radeon 6670. Not sure if it's sapphire, gigabyte, msi, etc. Is there a difference?
RAM: 8gb DDR3 (4gb x 2). Unsure of brand, does it matter?
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 3
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90
WiFi: Netgear WNA3100 N300 USB

I've done a little research and it seems like the components themselves are compatible with 10.8.2 but most of the builds I've seen with the i7 3770k use a different motherboard or GPU. I'd really like to not use the on board GPU if possible. Also, are there any issues when it comes to RAM manufacturers? Similarly, I'm not sure of the manufacturer of my video card. It's an AMD 6670 but I'm not sure if it's from Sapphire, MSI, XFX, Gigabyte, etc. Does that matter? Lastly, are there any issues with USB network adapters?

I'm not looking to make a lot of upgrades or adjustments at the moment as cash is a little tight, though I'm considering buying a second harddrive just for OSx to make my life a little easier for dualbooting. Any advice on a build of this nature would be greatly appreciated, I searched around the forums but couldn't find anything really solid.

Thanks,
CB

Should work, although I am a bit baffled by your choice of a 3770K CPU on a B75 motherboard which prevents the use of overclocking, one of the useful features of the 3770K. Normally I would choose a Z77 motherboard if I use a 3770K, or if I use that B75 motherboard I would have opted for the cheaper i7 3770 or even a Xeon E3-1230V2 (like a i7 but without CPU graphics and cheaper than a i7), if I want an i7 class CPU.

If you want to dual boot Windows and OSX then I strongly recommend you use separate hard disks for each system.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only reason I got a b75 was because I got a really good deal on the processor+mobo combo. It's on my long and ever growing list of upgrades.

Should work, although I am a bit baffled by your choice of a 3770K CPU on a B75 motherboard which prevents the use of overclocking, one of the useful features of the 3770K. Normally I would choose a Z77 motherboard if I use a 3770K, or if I use that B75 motherboard I would have opted for the cheaper i7 3770 or even a Xeon E3-1230V2 (like a i7 but without CPU graphics and cheaper than a i7), if I want an i7 class CPU.

If you want to dual boot Windows and OSX then I strongly recommend you use separate hard disks for each system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back