Contribute
Register

Which SMBIOS for Vega 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
ordered an Asus Vega 64 Strix and I'd like to know which SMBIOS should I use
The recommended SMBIOS is determined by the installed CPU, not the GPU. Desktop examples:
a. Core i: iMac
b. Xeon: iMacPro

CPU PM? Not part of the experience?

I did a benchmark using GeekBench and it looks like the CPU performs in the exactly same way..
Using just PluginType=YES and the temperatures seem to be exactly the same, sleep/wake working fine

I did a benchmark using GeekBench and it looks like the CPU performs in the exactly same way..
Using just PluginType=YES and the temperatures seem to be exactly the same, sleep/wake working fine

Hey i have the same chipset, I7 8700k, and Vega 64 (see Build # 3) as you and i was wondering if you could
share your clover config.plist and kexts that you are using?

My CPU is always running high Frequency and i was wondering if you could share some advice on that i would appreciate it.

Last edited:
I attached it.
I removed some "personal" SMBIOS informations (Board-ID, Board Serial Number, System Serial Number and System SmUUID).

I don't think that running CPU at the max frequency is a problem. My 8700K is overclocked at 5GHz and while using Windows it's always at 5GHz even when idle, while on macOS it's very fluctuating. The important is the utilization.
Schermata 2018-12-30 alle 15.43.03.png

The kexts that I'm using are FakeSMC, Lilu, AppleALC (only for the DP audio, I don't need the motherboard audio but you can enable it by changing some entries on the config.plist), WhatEvergreen, USBInjectAll (with a proper SSDT) and IntelMausiEthernet.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.7 KB · Views: 155
I attached it.
I removed some "personal" SMBIOS informations (Board-ID, Board Serial Number, System Serial Number and System SmUUID).

I don't think that running CPU at the max frequency is a problem. My 8700K is overclocked at 5GHz and while using Windows it's always at 5GHz even when idle, while on macOS it's very fluctuating. The important is the utilization.

The kexts that I'm using are FakeSMC, Lilu, AppleALC (only for the DP audio, I don't need the motherboard audio but you can enable it by changing some entries on the config.plist), WhatEvergreen, USBInjectAll (with a proper SSDT) and IntelMausiEthernet.

I have a remotely close setup to yours, and I was having all kinds of issues with iMac Pro 1,1. After I switched to iMac 18,3, almost all of my issues went away. With 18,3, I was able to get native GPU and CPU management. All in all, 18,3 has just been an amazing experience with my 8th gen CPU and Vega 64. I highly recommend making the switch!

I have a remotely close setup to yours, and I was having all kinds of issues with iMac Pro 1,1. After I switched to iMac 18,3, almost all of my issues went away. With 18,3, I was able to get native GPU and CPU management. All in all, 18,3 has just been an amazing experience with my 8th gen CPU and Vega 64. I highly recommend making the switch!

I created my current Hackintosh by using iMac18,3. Then I switched to iMacPro1,1 and got better GPU management (also thanks to macOS 10.14.2) and CPU works like before, perfectly :)
I also prefer using an "iMac Pro" instead of an "iMac 5K" :p

With iMac 18,3 I couldn't get DRM and FCPX encoding to both work properly. Either one of the other would work but not both by enabling and disabling iGPU. Switched to iMacPro1,1. Those problems went away. However, now at random my computer freezes and my entire network goes down in my home. I have to shut down by holding power. If I boot with ethernet unplugged, computer runs forever. This doesn't happen in Windows 10.

I am using integrated Intel I290V ethernet together with IntelMausiEthernet.kext. While the computer is not frozen, it works perfectly fine.

Any ideas or anyone with similar issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back