CPU
i9-9900K OC 5GHz
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I ordered an Asus Vega 64 Strix and I'd like to know which SMBIOS should I use.
I'm currently using "iMac18,3" with an i7-8700K & Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB, iGPU enabled for hardware acceleration. Latest version of macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Should I keep iMac18,1 or use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with the Vega?

Thank you in advance :)

That would be very interesting for me too. I'm thinking of switching to iMacPro1,1 as it seems to be more identical to the running system.

I'm still using iMac18,3 and DRM contents aren't displayed, like happened with RX580

I'm currently using "iMac18,3" with an i7-8700K & Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB, iGPU enabled for hardware acceleration. Latest version of macOS 10.14 Mojave.

@Michelinu,

iMac18,3 is the recommended SMBIOS for your configuration.
But you should also enable the IGPU in the BIOS and configure MacOS with a headless IGPU PlatformID :-

Use ig-platform-id 0x3E920003 or 0x3E910003 if your running MacOS Mojave
Use ig-platform-id 0x59120003 if your running MacOS High Sierra or lower

Use Lili and Whatevergreen to configure the IGPU .. see guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Michelinu,

iMac18,3 is the recommended SMBIOS for your configuration.
But you should also enable the IGPU in the BIOS and configure MacOS with a headless IGPU PlatformID :-

Use ig-platform-id 0x3E920003 or 0x3E910003 if your running MacOS Mojave
Use ig-platform-id 0x59120003 if your running MacOS High Sierra or lower

Use Lili and Whatevergreen to configure the IGPU .. see guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Cheers
Jay

Yes, already using that.
With macOS High Sierra and older Lilu/WEG I used "Inject Intel" and to inject manually an ig-platform-id. With latest version of macOS and updated kexts it's not anymore needed (at least for me), the iGPU get injected connector-less automatically.

The only problem is that before with the old RX580 and now with the Vega64, DRM contents aren't displayed on iTunes. I can of course disable iGPU and they work, but I lose hardware HEVC acceleration :|

With latest version of macOS and updated kexts it's not anymore needed (at least for me), the iGPU get injected connector-less automatically.

The only problem is that before with the old RX580 and now with the Vega64, DRM contents aren't displayed on iTunes. I can of course disable iGPU and they work, but I lose hardware HEVC acceleration :|

@Michelinu,

You need to use WhatEverGreen as it has the Shiki patch which is what patches MacOS to enable DRM content playback ...

Cheers
Jay

@Michelinu,

You need to use WhatEverGreen as it has the Shiki patch which is what patches MacOS to enable DRM content playback ...

Cheers
Jay

I already use latest WhatEvergreen, but the DRM aren't still working. This seems to be a known issue

I already use latest WhatEvergreen, but the DRM aren't still working. This seems to be a known issue

You said in post #1 and #5 that you are no longer using WhatEverGreen ...

Without WhatEverGreen you will not have the Shiki patch ... make sure you are using WEG and work through the tests and advice in the Shiki manual if you have DRM issues .. Check you have the HECI -> IMEI rename patch in clover .. etc

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Shiki.en.md

You could also try using the Shiki arguments to force the DRM decode on the DGPU or the IGPU

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
You said in post #1 and #5 that you are no longer using WhatEverGreen ...

Without WhatEverGreen you will not have the Shiki patch ... make sure you are using WEG and work through the tests and advice in the Shiki manual if you have DRM issues .. Check you have the HECI -> IMEI rename patch in clover .. etc

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Shiki.en.md

You could also try using the Shiki arguments to force the DRM decode on the DGPU or the IGPU

Cheers
Jay

I never said that. I mentioned WhatEvergreen once, saying that with the older version it was necessary to manually inject the iGPU, now with new versions it's not anymore required.
With macOS High Sierra and older Lilu/WEG I used "Inject Intel" and to inject manually an ig-platform-id. With latest version of macOS and updated kexts it's not anymore needed (at least for me), the iGPU get injected connector-less automatically.

HECI to IMEI patch is also not anymore required, such as all other patches related to GPU. Latest WhatEvergreen choose automatically what to patch. Even with custom Shiki boot args, it doesn't work.

If you search in this forum or online, you can find that it's a common issue and, as far as I know, there isn't still any solution that allows to have DRM contents and HEVC hardware acceleration at the same time.

Hi everyone, I ordered an Asus Vega 64 Strix and I'd like to know which SMBIOS should I use.

Thank you in advance :)
It depends on what you want to use your system for.

If you disable the IGPU, you can use iMacPro1,1 WITHOUT WEG and DRM should work. It will use your Vega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back