Contribute
Register

Which SMBIOS for Vega 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Michelinu,

iMac18,3 is the recommended SMBIOS for your configuration.
But you should also enable the IGPU in the BIOS and configure MacOS with a headless IGPU PlatformID :-

Use ig-platform-id 0x3E920003 or 0x3E910003 if your running MacOS Mojave
Use ig-platform-id 0x59120003 if your running MacOS High Sierra or lower

Use Lili and Whatevergreen to configure the IGPU .. see guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Cheers
Jay
Hi,
what is the advantage of the enabled IGPU?
Is it still a valid recommendation?

what is the advantage of the enabled IGPU?
Is it still a valid recommendation?

@RumpelHumpel,

All Mac's that have a dGPU and a desktop class CPU with a IGPU, run the IGPU in a headless configuration. MacOS uses the IGPU as a sort of GPU co-processor either for specific tasks such as IQS which is used for H.264/JPEG encode and decode, AirPlay Mirror .. etc. It is also used in some Apps such as FCPX in tandem with the dGPU.

Only Macs that ship with a Xeon CPU's do not have a IGPU, so if you are using a SMBIOS that on a genuine Mac shipped with a IGPU then you should enable the IGPU and configure it as headless.

For more info see the specific section on headless IGPU in Chapter 4 of the Lilu + Plugin's guide :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
The recommended SMBIOS is determined by the installed CPU, not the GPU. Desktop examples:
a. Core i: iMac
b. Xeon: iMacPro

toleda.. would the also be the case for older x58 w3680 xeon?

I am looking at upgrading my hack from el cap to mojave and having a hell of a time making the move from a perfectly stable el cap with gtx660 to a mojave 10.6.4u2 vega 56 setup

the DX58so is booting UEFI (i know its a incomplete UEFI setup but el cap has been great) .. native NVRAM with clover 4934 ... just having many issues with booting with a monitor connected to HDMI

if I boot with just my 4k tv at DP1 with a DP1.2 to HDMI I get a 4k60 boot, then sleep, wake, then I can turn on or plug in second monitor at HDMI at get multiple displays .. otherwise .. back screen with the system running behind it.. I can ssh in.. logs usually include many dumps in console GPU.restart dumps

I am using the Mac Pro 5,1 sysdef as the hardware is almost a dead ringer .. and the 5,1 is supposed to be supported in majove AND apple recommends the VEGA for it? so it should be pretty native no?

I am using boot args, darkwake=0 skikigva=96 skikigva=board-id for imacpro (enables hardware decode/encoding 264) and -rad24 (fixes 30bit color on these 24bit displays although see no visual difference one way or other)

any other boot args or setup issues I am missing.. my custom DSDT on el cap allows me to use clover with no dsdt hot patching options on.. just the usual kext patches for ICH10

thoughts?

some have suggested to use imacpro smbios since its xeon, and vega, but the chipsets are miles apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back