Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Where do i find Asmedia.kext???

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi. I'm looking to usb port map my hackintosh.. I have asmedia controller, so far doing research i am required that kext but where do i find it? Is there another name for it?? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. I'm looking to usb port map my hackintosh.. I have asmedia controller, so far doing research i am required that kext but where do i find it? Is there another name for it?? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
you should be able to ignore those ports

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
you should be able to ignore those ports
so you are saying i don't need it?? Why should i ignore those ports?? Wouldn't that limit the usb functionality on my motherboard?? I want all my usb ports to work as much as possible.

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did you try them first? My motherboard also features an ASMedia controller and I don’t need to map for it.

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4
CPU
i7-12700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I need it for my board on Big Sur because my Big Sur connects the wrong driver.

I'm on the road, but please find my build guild and grab the ASMEDIA.kext if you need it.

For me, Big Sur would give me a failed restart then fail to load the driver at all. Not everyone needs it, you might.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Did you try them first? My motherboard also features an ASMedia controller and I don’t need to map for it.
try what?? Some of my ports on my motherboard doesn't work. I definitely need to usb port map.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII Formula
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I need it for my board on Big Sur because my Big Sur connects the wrong driver.

I'm on the road, but please find my build guild and grab the ASMEDIA.kext if you need it.

For me, Big Sur would give me a failed restart then fail to load the driver at all. Not everyone needs it, you might.
ok mate how do i find your build guild to get this asmedia kext??

Edhawk

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When you map your USB ports, you will be mapping the INTEL ports. Any other USB ports served by another controller such as NEC/Renesas, Asmedia etc. are usually exempt from the mapping process.

Non-Intel USB controllers either work natively with macOS (some newer Asmedia controllers have been added/used in iMacPro 1,1 and Mac Pro 7,1), they have a third party kext that can be used such as the Asmedia kext offered by NorthAmTansAm; some as I found on my Haswell Z97 board just work, others have found they don't work no matter what they try, well not in the newer versions of macOS.

Your Maximus VII board may be like my Z97 board, where the Asmedia ports work. Under take the USB port discovery and see what happens.

You need to read and follow this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
For my 4 Big Sur and earlier builds, being Haswell, Skylake and 2 Comet Lake iterations, I do not need a kext for anything that I want to connect to which is relying on an ASMedia based controller to function correctly. Of cause the USB port used to plug in your ASMeadia controlled device into must initially be properly mapped.

Greetings Henties

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
ASUS Z490-G Gaming (Wi-Fi) - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i3-10320
Graphics
RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
What asmedia.kext does is to add the ASM2142 device-ID to the IOClass of AppleUSBXHCIPCI driver.

It is safe because there's no executable.

This explains why sometimes it works but sometimes not. It depends on the chip.

However, theory has it that those ports should still be classed as external to the Intel 15, just like a MacPro, otherwise the system may break.

:)

Last edited: