Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Where do i find Asmedia.kext???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Jingsha X79 Dual S8
CPU
2x E5-2690 v2
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I'm looking to usb port map my hackintosh.. I have asmedia controller, so far doing research i am required that kext but where do i find it? Is there another name for it?? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Hi. I'm looking to usb port map my hackintosh.. I have asmedia controller, so far doing research i am required that kext but where do i find it? Is there another name for it?? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
you should be able to ignore those ports

you should be able to ignore those ports
so you are saying i don't need it?? Why should i ignore those ports?? Wouldn't that limit the usb functionality on my motherboard?? I want all my usb ports to work as much as possible.

Did you try them first? My motherboard also features an ASMedia controller and I don’t need to map for it.

I need it for my board on Big Sur because my Big Sur connects the wrong driver.

I'm on the road, but please find my build guild and grab the ASMEDIA.kext if you need it.

For me, Big Sur would give me a failed restart then fail to load the driver at all. Not everyone needs it, you might.

Did you try them first? My motherboard also features an ASMedia controller and I don’t need to map for it.
try what?? Some of my ports on my motherboard doesn't work. I definitely need to usb port map.

I need it for my board on Big Sur because my Big Sur connects the wrong driver.

I'm on the road, but please find my build guild and grab the ASMEDIA.kext if you need it.

For me, Big Sur would give me a failed restart then fail to load the driver at all. Not everyone needs it, you might.
ok mate how do i find your build guild to get this asmedia kext??

When you map your USB ports, you will be mapping the INTEL ports. Any other USB ports served by another controller such as NEC/Renesas, Asmedia etc. are usually exempt from the mapping process.

Non-Intel USB controllers either work natively with macOS (some newer Asmedia controllers have been added/used in iMacPro 1,1 and Mac Pro 7,1), they have a third party kext that can be used such as the Asmedia kext offered by NorthAmTansAm; some as I found on my Haswell Z97 board just work, others have found they don't work no matter what they try, well not in the newer versions of macOS.

Your Maximus VII board may be like my Z97 board, where the Asmedia ports work. Under take the USB port discovery and see what happens.

You need to read and follow this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

For my 4 Big Sur and earlier builds, being Haswell, Skylake and 2 Comet Lake iterations, I do not need a kext for anything that I want to connect to which is relying on an ASMedia based controller to function correctly. Of cause the USB port used to plug in your ASMeadia controlled device into must initially be properly mapped.

Greetings Henties

What asmedia.kext does is to add the ASM2142 device-ID to the IOClass of AppleUSBXHCIPCI driver.

It is safe because there's no executable.

This explains why sometimes it works but sometimes not. It depends on the chip.

However, theory has it that those ports should still be classed as external to the Intel 15, just like a MacPro, otherwise the system may break.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back