Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

When I built my first Hackintosh last year, the advice was to use Sandisk SSD's because they don't require the TRIM hack in Mac OS to have TRIM on a non-apple SSD working.

I am in the market for a second SSD, but not the "what to buy" list no longer speaks of Sandisk but mentions Samsung SSD's?

Is this because Samsung's don't require the patch either or is this because Mac OS no longer requires the patch and any SSD will do fine?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I'm using 2x Samsung EVO 250gb SSD no problem. Lovely and fast for me!

If you want more performance, I would recommend the 840 Pro, or even the newly released 850 Pro.

Eh, you wouldn't see much difference between the 840 Evo and Pro in normal usage. You would with the 850 Pro (plus it's supposed to have an obscenely long working life) but it's also way more expensive.

I recently upgraded from the 250 GB 840 to a 1 TB Evo and both worked great.

I can only guess why it only mentions Samsung the same way it only mentions one or two brands of everything when plenty of others will do just fine or are better. With SSDs Samsung tends to have the best mix of performance, longevity and price. If I didn't care about price I'd either get the 850 Pro or one of the nicer Intel SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back