Contribute
Register

What kind of performance should I be expecting with a 970 and drivers working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
SONY VAIO E14 SVE14A390X
CPU
i7-3632QM/HM76
Graphics
HD 4000, HD 7670M
Now that I've got everything up and running on my install. I decided to get Civ VI and see how it ran. Currently, I'm using an evga 970, i7 6700k @ 4.5ghz, and 16gb Gskill Trident ram @ 3200mhz that's being detected as well. I've benched through GeekBench and monitored temps/frequencies in Intel Power Gadget and confirmed my OC is working in MacOS. However, upon running CIV VI, I figured I could max out everything with my rig. So I did, then ran a benchmark in game and was only getting about 20fps. Afterward, I lowered pretty much everything significantly and was still only getting 25-30fps. My question is, can I not expect to get performance on the level of what I have in windows on MacOS even with the webdrivers installed? It seems like a huge performance difference, just trying to gauge if I have an issue somewhere, or if this is what the expectation is.

Thanks,

I don't know Civ VI, so it might just be a badly optimized port.

It's a good idea to use a well approved benchmark (e.g. Unigine Valley in "Extreme HD") for comparison between Windows and OS X. Usually you should see a ~5-20% performance drop in OS X, depending mostly on your processor speed (CPU overhead in OS X drivers seems to be high).

Games can be a lot worse though if its poorly optimized.

I believe Civ VI for macOS is just a wrapper port = pretty much horrendous performance no matter what

Ah, I see. Thanks for the responses. I'll run some benchmarks to see how everything is doing. Appreciate it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the responses. I'll run some benchmarks to see how everything is doing. Appreciate it.

Personally, if you plan on doing much gaming... install a second HDD with Windows on it.

Personally, if you plan on doing much gaming... install a second HDD with Windows on it.
Already have an SSD with Win 10 installed. Was just trying to gauge how Mac performance would be. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back