Contribute
Register

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
These numbers are on x99 with 6900k. I did change BIOS to iMac, but still no video on other ports.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 11.10.41 AM.png

Just want to share I was able to get VEGA working 100% on X99 as well. I grabbed the EFI folder from another user, and it worked without any issues on all ports. Must have been something in my configuration! All ports working. No IGPU needed. Full acceleration.

Here are the results with LG Ultrafine 5k Display, AMD Radeon VEGA Frontier Edition and GC-Alpine Ridge. Definitely well worth it!

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 6.09.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 6.09.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 6.22.42 PM.png
    30.8 MB · Views: 153
I still cannot get the RX580 working as a secondary card for VEGA on the X99. Keeps rebooting on a loop.

I still cannot get the RX580 working as a secondary card for VEGA on the X99. Keeps rebooting on a loop.
Does sleep/wake work properly? That's always failed on other ATI cards if everything else works.

Things just keep getting better :clap:

I have installed 2 x GC-Alpine Ridge. They are both connected to a single AMD VEGA. One of them has 2 DP inputs and the other only 1. I have 2 LG Ultrafine 5k displays running. One is at full 5k, and the other is scaled. Both are running off a single thunderbolt cable. Given that my MB only has one TB header, only one has audio, video, and controls. I'll be picking up a second AMD VEGA with the hopes of having both displays running at 5k.

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 11.03.16 PM.png

Does sleep/wake work properly? That's always failed on other ATI cards if everything else works.

My sleep wake works well for RX 460 and 480, the key is having IGPU connected to a monitor.

I tested RX 480 in dual mode several times and only the Haswell and possibly older CPUs would support 2 cards. Skylake was able to do it early on in the Sierra betas but after Oct/Nov it was not possible to use 2 cards with Skylake and newer CPUs. I will check my Haswell G3258 again with dual RX cards in High Sierra.

Maybe another Vega would work?

My sleep wake works well for RX 460 and 480, the key is having IGPU connected to a monitor.
Yes, I mean without the IGPU which is what the original poster is doing. I can get my Tahiti/Pitcairn based cards to work just fine as the only GPU ... the problem comes with sleep / wake.

Yes, I mean without the IGPU which is what the original poster is doing. I can get my Tahiti/Pitcairn based cards to work just fine as the only GPU ... the problem comes with sleep / wake.

I have no problems with sleep/wake on this configuration.

OMG: I hope this holds beyond the betas. This is the holy grail for some of us AMD users looking for some platform (HDMI 2.0) and GPU compute upgrades. Now let's hope for reasonable prices from AIBs with non-blower coolers-- and maybe better gaming performance and lower power draw on at least some models (Even the cut-down versions, such as in the coming iMac pros).

I'd love to trade in my R9 290 OC for VEGA!

This is great news!
i really need to upgrade my GTX770.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back