Contribute
Register

USBToolBox - New USB Mapper utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I've followed the one (and only?) guide for using USBToolBox, and I manually checked each port just to be absolutely sure. Now, I haven't experienced any USB issues on my Monterey 12.1 system, but of course it's still important to get this done properly so I followed the process on my Windows partition.

My questions: Once you've put the two kexts (UTBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext) in the kexts folder and referenced them in the config.plist (I used ProperTree's snapshot feature, and checked manually afterwards), that should be it, right? Should you then see the kexts loaded up in, say, Hackintool's Extensions tab, or System Information's Extensions? Because I don't. And while I have great performance post-boot, there are still lots of pauses and a generally long boot process at the moment (although I accept that not all of that will be USB, maybe none of it but still, I'm trying to debug every last thing I possibly can with this rig).

Am I missing something? I mean, I obviously am, but I don't know what it might be. I've ensured the things specified in the guide are implemented in the config.plist, like the ReleaseUSBOwnership thing etc.

Any help is appreciated. I've searched around for the post that explains what files are needed when asking for help but I can't find it. I'm more than happy to provide my EFI folder, or my de-personalised config if anyone wants to take a look.

And wishing everyone a great NYE and 2022 :)

Uhm, Well, I'm struggling to find anyone to help me with this. HOWEVER, I think maybe I don't need the help, at least not for USB? Even though the kexts don't appear to be loaded, poking around in IORegistryExplorer shows that the ports appear to have my comments from when I did the semi-manual map, and as I say, I don't have any detectable issues.

Damn, I would love an hour of some Hackintosh genius' time to just go over everything. I wish we were allowed to make it worth people's while!

Uhm, Well, I'm struggling to find anyone to help me with this. HOWEVER, I think maybe I don't need the help, at least not for USB? Even though the kexts don't appear to be loaded, poking around in IORegistryExplorer shows that the ports appear to have my comments from when I did the semi-manual map, and as I say, I don't have any detectable issues.

Damn, I would love an hour of some Hackintosh genius' time to just go over everything. I wish we were allowed to make it worth people's while!

Hi there.

I don't use USBToolBox but I guess the kext it produces is much the same as Hackintool or the USBMap script.

If that is so then it is normal for the USB kext to be invisible to macOS because there is no executable inside, just an info.plist. What's more you "inject" it from the EFI partition so macOS doesn't cache it.

:)

Hi there.

I don't use USBToolBox but I guess the kext it produces is much the same as Hackintool or the USBMap script.

If that is so then it is normal for the USB kext to be invisible to macOS because there is no executable inside, just an info.plist. What's more you "inject" it from the EFI partition so macOS doesn't cache it.

Right, but shouldn’t USBToolBox.kext itself show in that case? That does have an executable binary inside, IIRC. I’ll check when I sit down in front of it a bit later.

Thanks for replying to me btw!

That does have an executable binary inside.

Happy to be proved wrong but ... I doubt a Windows tool would have a macOS compiler within to create an executable. An XML plist, then of course, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back