Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thought I would check out the new kid on the block, USBToolBox. A utility designed to work much like Hackintool and USBMap to discover and configure your motherboard USB ports.

Out of curiosity I chose to run on Windows 10 as there is a version for both macOS and Windows.

However, before I got too excited:

USBTool.JPG

So beware - Maybe a false-positive, but I can't recommended it. :thumbdown

Last edited:
Hey big thanks to the other Mod for removing my post elsewhere, which was a reply to a poster's link. As I was highlighting a serious Malware threat involved (see above) I would have thought it worth leaving as a warning.

@UtterDisbelief
I have tested this tool by dhinakg and it has worked very well on both macOS and Windows. UTBmap.kext output has been identical from both systems.
Apparently so far, UTBMap.kext together with USBToolBox.kext works as expected. I have not seen differences with USBMap.kext generated from Usbmap command. USB ports and sleep work just as well.
A significant advantage of USBToolBox is that the port map is detached from the SMBIOS model, so when changing SMBIOS it is not necessary to modify or replace USBMap.kexts or USBPorts.kext.

Hey big thanks to the other Mod for removing my post elsewhere, which was a reply to a poster's link. As I was highlighting a serious Malware threat involved (see above) I would have thought it worth leaving as a warning.
not me!

Not a Mod, it was an Admin.
No real option though as it referred to a banned site.

Thanks. Not sure how to tell. But they are the bosses. :thumbup:

Understood. Just thought the warning I posted was justified. Remove the OP, yes, of course. My warning was in good faith.

@UtterDisbelief
I have tested this tool by dhinakg and it has worked very well on both macOS and Windows. UTBmap.kext output has been identical from both systems.
Apparently so far, UTBMap.kext together with USBToolBox.kext works as expected. I have not seen differences with USBMap.kext generated from Usbmap command. USB ports and sleep work just as well.
A significant advantage of USBToolBox is that the port map is detached from the SMBIOS model, so when changing SMBIOS it is not necessary to modify or replace USBMap.kexts or USBPorts.kext.

Yes, it seemed an interesting approach.

Mind you direct ACPI editing is non-specific - if you enjoy torture! :lol:

With USBPorts.kext I manually edit the System-Definition in Info.plist if I change it.

So can you confirm it is malware-free?

Yes, it seemed an interesting approach.

Mind you direct ACPI editing is non-specific - if you enjoy torture! :lol:

With USBPorts.kext I manually edit the System-Definition in Info.plist if I change it.

So can you confirm it is malware-free?
Eset didn't have any issues with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back