Graphics
Nvidia GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just replaced my motherboard a few minutes ago, a GA-Z87X-UD5H, due to the USB ports on the back failing. Same board again (Amazon replacement) but now there's a new issue. Or, at least, OS X has a new issue.

Aside from the standard issues that come from a new motherboard (I can't hit the App Store anymore... Yay.) my keyboard disconnects after I type. Every time. I will go and type something but as soon as I stop it stops accepting input. I reach over, unplug it, plug it back in and suddenly it's typing again. Then stops.

It's not fully disconnecting because the backlight is still functioning on the keyboard so at least I know it's still getting power.

The fun part is I don't think it's the new board because I also have Windows 8 on another disk and I've typed this whole post with it and no problems. The last time the App Store issue cropped up I had to fully reinstall OS X so I imagine I'll be doing that again anyway but I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and if there's a solution?

I went ahead and re-installed OS X and... Still happens. It was actually doing it during the installation as well so that's weird. My guess is there's something different with this motherboard than the last one, but I have no idea what.

I followed TDW's guilde, just as last time and it's still happening:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...atx-ga-z87x-ud5h-core-i7-4770k-gtx-770-a.html

I do, however, have an added bit of information. It's not as soon as I stop typing, it's specifically when I use my mouse. I can navigate around all I want with my keyboard and wait as long as I like between inputs but the second I use that mouse...

I'm a little desperate for solutions so I'll probably just drop the mouse in a USB hub and see if that makes any difference (I don't expect it to in the slightest). Unfortunately I don't have a backup mouse to test with.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm completely at a loss.

[EDIT:]
Uh... So... Using a USB hub for the mouse works. So... Yeah. It's a powered hub... Um... What?

I have a similar problem on a GA-Z87X-UD4H and a keyboard connected through a USB-PS/2 adapter (blue cube). It works once plugged in, but using the mouse makes it stop responding. System Profiler says it's still there, though. It works fine on Windows 8.1 on the same machine and on a MacBook Pro.

I played around with connecting it to different USB ports and it seems like the issue happens when the keyboard shares a USB (internal) hub with the mouse. On different hubs (e.g. keyboard connected to the port by the PS/2 port, and mouse to one by the Ethernet port; check with System Profiler) both are working OK so far.

The same thing for me. I have Apple USB Keyboard with mouse connected to it.
[UPDATE] lzb, you're a genius! Plugged mouse to separate usb and the problem gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back