CPU
i5 3570K
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Tried and failed to upgrade my hackintosh from mountain lion to high sierra I have very limited knowledge at this and just about managed to set it up years ago, I am really trying though so any help will be much appreciated.

Ill run through what I did, sorry its long I tried to keep it clear as possible.

Where I put a [*] Is where I think could be related to the issue or need advice.

Basically tried following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ported-intel-based-pc.235474/#troubleshooting

[1.]
I used my MacBook to download High Sierra from app store.

QUESTION
*it might be worth noting that it prompted me to install it after download which I couldn’t exit but did minimise as I didn’t want to upgrade to High Sierra on that Mac yet. It might be related or is that normal / not a problem?.

*Followed the guide, copy and pasted the High Sierra download from applications folder to the usb *(it wasn’t in downloads folder for some reason?)

Downloaded the brand new Multibeast 10.1.0 (Just released) ran the zip then added the Multibeast (blue) folder to the USB and ejected it after checking it was all in there.

[2.]
Then moved over to my hackintosh..

I backed up my ssd onto an eternal hdd using carbon copy cloner just incase.

QUESTION:
*I didn’t change any of my BIOS settings because I only saw one option from the guide's list and it was already correctly enabled. I assume my bios will be fine from already setting up mountain lion?

[3.]
Shut down the hackintosh, plugged in usb boot drive,
restarted it and held F12 then chose *UEFI: USB Hard Drive*

Then next screen chose 'Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra'

Then got to "macOS Utilities"

QUESTION
*At this screen I chose "Install macOS"
*I didn't erase or format my SSD in disk utility because I wanted to keep all my data, is this possible or do you have to start fresh?

[4.]
Then got to "Install macOS High Sierra"

*On this screen I chose to install to my original Mountain Lion SSD

QUESTION
*Should my USB Install disk called "install macOS High Sierra" be locked and grey in these options?

*Then after install I pressed F12 again selected USB Hard Drive again

*Then here I have 3 options

*"Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" (tonymac High Sierra logo)
*"Boot macOS Install from Mountain Lion" (Apple logo)
*"Boot macOS from Mountain Lion" (tonymac Mountain Lion logo)

*Iv tried twice, both Mountain Lion options start installing on black apple screen saying 41 minuets remaining then finished suddenly in a couple of minuets. Then reloads and take me to my original desktop still running ML and nothing changed.

Conclusion:

**As bad as I am at this, i'm guessing there shouldn't be 2 Mountain Lion options there?

*Also now when I re-try F12 and then booting from USB there are now 2x "Mac OS X" underneath "EUFI: USB USB HARD DRIVE" when before there was just 1.

Ill try to add photos later today it seems I need to upload them somewhere else first?

Its 6am been up all night I need to sleep this is killing me, Hopefully iv made sense to someone in that mess of words.

If you read this far thank you

And thank you in advance for any help or advice

Jay

Last edited:
Tried and failed to upgrade my hackintosh from mountain lion to high sierra I have very limited knowledge at this and just about managed to set it up years ago, I am really trying though so any help will be much appreciated.

Ill run through what I did, sorry its long I tried to keep it clear as possible.

Where I put a [*] Is where I think could be related to the issue or need advice.

Basically tried following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ported-intel-based-pc.235474/#troubleshooting

[1.]
I used my MacBook to download High Sierra from app store.

QUESTION
*it might be worth noting that it prompted me to install it after download which I couldn’t exit but did minimise as I didn’t want to upgrade to High Sierra on that Mac yet. It might be related or is that normal / not a problem?.

*Followed the guide, copy and pasted the High Sierra download from applications folder to the usb *(it wasn’t in downloads folder for some reason?)

Downloaded the brand new Multibeast 10.1.0 (Just released) ran the zip then added the Multibeast (blue) folder to the USB and ejected it after checking it was all in there.

[2.]
Then moved over to my hackintosh..

I backed up my ssd onto an eternal hdd using carbon copy cloner just incase.

QUESTION:
*I didn’t change any of my BIOS settings because I only saw one option from the guide's list and it was already correctly enabled. I assume my bios will be fine from already setting up mountain lion?

[3.]
Shut down the hackintosh, plugged in usb boot drive,
restarted it and held F12 then chose *UEFI: USB Hard Drive*

Then next screen chose 'Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra'

Then got to "macOS Utilities"

QUESTION
*At this screen I chose "Install macOS"
*I didn't erase or format my SSD in disk utility because I wanted to keep all my data, is this possible or do you have to start fresh?

[4.]
Then got to "Install macOS High Sierra"

*On this screen I chose to install to my original Mountain Lion SSD

QUESTION
*Should my USB Install disk called "install macOS High Sierra" be locked and grey in these options?

*Then after install I pressed F12 again selected USB Hard Drive again

*Then here I have 3 options

*"Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" (tonymac High Sierra logo)
*"Boot macOS Install from Mountain Lion" (Apple logo)
*"Boot macOS from Mountain Lion" (tonymac Mountain Lion logo)

*Iv tried twice, both Mountain Lion options start installing on black apple screen saying 41 minuets remaining then finished suddenly in a couple of minuets. Then reloads and take me to my original desktop still running ML and nothing changed.

Conclusion:

**As bad as I am at this, i'm guessing there shouldn't be 2 Mountain Lion options there?

*Also now when I re-try F12 and then booting from USB there are now 2x "Mac OS X" underneath "EUFI: USB USB HARD DRIVE" when before there was just 1.

Ill try to add photos later today it seems I need to upload them somewhere else first?

Its 6am been up all night I need to sleep this is killing me, Hopefully iv made sense to someone in that mess of words.

If you read this far thank you

And thank you in advance for any help or advice

Jay

Hello Jay, What are your system definitions of the Mountain Lion system? Have you migrated the Mountain Lion system to clover boot loader or still using Chimera/Chameleon? What happens when you boot in verbose mode? Boot into verbose mode by entering the boot arg -v by with pressing the space bar and selecting verbose or typing it in the boot args section.

Hello Jay, What are your system definitions of the Mountain Lion system? Have you migrated the Mountain Lion system to clover boot loader or still using Chimera/Chameleon? What happens when you boot in verbose mode? Boot into verbose mode by entering the boot arg -v by with pressing the space bar and selecting verbose or typing it in the boot args section.

Hey Carpentry, I have no idea unfortunately. I followed a guide to install Mountain Lion on here in 2013 my hardware specs are still the same GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard and i5 3570K processor.

I did read about verbose mode but didn't try that as it looked like it had all gone wrong anyway.

I just want to repartition my usb start again but knowing where I went wrong.

My guesses are:

1. My High Sierra download wasn't supposed to promt me to install after download, maybe thats removed files from it?

2. I have to load optimal defaults on bios even though its set up from last times Mountain Lion build?

3. I was supposed to erase and format my Mountain Lion SSD? which would wipe all my data wouldn't it?

4. I am way out of my depths and should probably see if I can hire someone who knows what there doing haha

Thanks
Jay

Last edited:
Hey Carpentry, I have no idea unfortunately. I followed a guild to install Mountain Lion on here in 2013 my hardware specs are still the same GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard and i5 3570K processor.

I did read about verbose mode but didn't try that as it looked like it had all gone wrong anyway.

I just want to repartition my usb start again but knowing where I went wrong.

My guesses are:

1. My High Sierra download wasn't supposed to promt me to install after download, maybe thats removed files from it?

2. I have to load optimal defaults on bios even though its set up from last times Mountain Lion build?

3. I was supposed to erase and format my Mountain Lion SSD? which would wipe all my data wouldn't it?

4. I am way out of my depths and should probably see if I can hire someone who knows what there doing haha

Thanks
Jay

• When you download a newer version of OS X or macOS [like macOSHighSierra in your case] to a Mac or Hack, the OS inside assumes it is to install in that computer.
  • If you don't want to use the downloaded installer software to upgrade that system but instead to use it to install that into one other computer , here are the steps:
    • Note the macOS Installer file icon on the Dock (prompting you to install).
    • Just RIGHT -click that installer icon on Dock> left click "Show in Finder".
      • Now you will see the macOS High Sierra Installer safely tucked in Applications folder.
    • There is still the macOS High Sierra Icon on Dock
      • Right click Dock icon again and this time choose "Quit" from context menu.
        • The icon is removed from Dock and prevents you from accidentally clicking to start an installation in that computer you never intended.
      • In fact if you start to install, the Application folder will lose the safely kept installer
        • Your computer cannot download that any more.
    • To use the downloaded Installer on another computer copy and paste it from Applications folder to say a "Good Flash Disk" ( and may be to another too for insurance!)
    • Copy that to the Hack's Applications Folder you want to Create a USB installer
    • After making a copy to an external disk for safe keeping, you may as well use your real Mac where you still have the macOS High Sierra Installer in its Applications folder to create the USB installer using Unibeast 8.1 and then take that installer to create a new hackintosh in an Intel type of MoBo |CPU|GFx hardware compatible for macOS installation
    • If you want to have spare High Sierra USB installer(s), you can connect the High Sierra USB installer as a Source disk , connect a blank USB disk of equal size as the target >Open Disk Utility > click the target disk > click "Restore" from the menu bar of DU,
    • A pop shows "Restore from": dialog box
    • If your HighSierra from USB is not in the box next to Restore from: [ ] click 'image"....and browse and find "High Sierra" to get that in the box
    • Click "Restore" button
    • This new HighSierra USB has an empty EFI without CLOVER.
    • You have to manually install CLOVER as a second step.
    • You can download Clover EFI from the Sourceforge.net to make it a bootable installer or better still
    • Mount its EFI partition and copy EFI folder from the mounted EFI partition of the Source USB installer and paste that copy of EFI folder on Target's EFI Partition.
In your first post you stated
*Followed the guide, copy and pasted the High Sierra download from applications folder to the usb *(it wasn’t in downloads folder for some reason?Downloaded the brand new Multibeast 10.1.0 (Just released) ran the zip then added the Multibeast (blue) folder to the USB and ejected it after checking it was all in there.
You got to run Unibeast installer( or Terminal CMD+ Clover ) in that Mac and the macOS High Sierra in the Applications folder installer installs (not copy paste) by uncompressing the file and creating proper folder structure in that USB disk [that is already Partitioned in GUID and Formatted in HFS+J in DU . Just Copy paste of installer file to usb won't make it an installer

Copying and Pasting Multibeast 10.1 to the completed installer is letting it 'piggy-back' MultiBeast to the desktop of a newly installed system disk to install its CLOVER+Kexts +Customize .

If you have created a HighSierra USB installer properly, and boot in the system specified in your signature, I expect it to work.
If you have a problem reboot using Verbose mode and post images of the boot screens.

Last edited:
Hey Cmn699 I managed to get rid of the installer with your first instructions thank you for that!

The rest is like a foreign language for someone with very limited knowledge like me but i'm re reading it to work it out.

I don't think I mentioned I set up the High Sierra USB installer completely solely on my genuine Macbook pro using unibeast 8.0.0 and added multibeast. I didn't put any files or change anything on or create the usb in anyway on my hackintosh

8.1.0 must have just been released I will use that this time when I reformat my USB and start again was there issues with 8.0.0?

Also with regards to Multibeast are you saying I should not have opened the zip file and copy and pasted the blue folder? But instead just put the downloaded zip as it is onto the High Sierra USB?

Note there was an EFI folder on the USB aswell which I read was correct

I followed the guide completely it didn't say I needed to add clover or anything else

I don't remember anything being this complicated when I did it before I'm feeling this is gonna end up a non working hackintosh by the time i'm finished being clueless

Is there a very simple video for idiots somewhere? :')

Thanks
Jay

Hey Cmn699 I managed to get rid of the installer with your first instructions thank you for that!

The rest is like a foreign language for someone with very limited knowledge like me but i'm re reading it to work it out.

I don't think I mentioned I set up the High Sierra USB installer completely solely on my genuine Macbook pro using unibeast 8.0.0 and added multibeast. I didn't put any files or change anything on or create the usb in anyway on my hackintosh

8.1.0 must have just been released I will use that this time when I reformat my USB and start again was there issues with 8.0.0?

Also with regards to Multibeast are you saying I should not have opened the zip file and copy and pasted the blue folder? But instead just put the downloaded zip as it is onto the High Sierra USB?

Note there was an EFI folder on the USB aswell which I read was correct

I followed the guide completely it didn't say I needed to add clover or anything else

I don't remember anything being this complicated when I did it before I'm feeling this is gonna end up a non working hackintosh by the time i'm finished being clueless

Is there a very simple video for idiots somewhere? :')

Thanks
Jay

No sir, it is better to paste it as unzipped for faster use in the Target disk as you have done without having to unzip there, unless you have an 8 GB Flash disk that does not have enough space to carry the EXTRA LOAD.

I carry Multibeast, Clover Configurator, and a few other tools like "Kext Utility" and even "kexts in a folder" for immediate use at the Target Hard disk where I have a new system that needs them and I have no need to download them from the Net or carry in another Flash disk.

Is there a very simple video for idiots somewhere?

I consider Tonymac GUIDE as the best. The GUIDE is NOT a 'setup manual' for a specific set of hardware.

For that you need to search the forum for a Build that used your hardware and hope that person has created a good illustrated "GUIDE" simple and logical to follow without changes.

There are very few in this forum who feel they should come back with such guides to help others.

My advice: STICK WITH TONYMAC GUIDE.

No sir, it is better to paste it as unzipped for faster use in the Target disk as you have done without having to unzip there, unless you have an 8 GB Flash disk that does not have enough space to carry the EXTRA LOAD.

Okay thanks its a 16GB Sandisk so should be no problem doing that then.

Surely thats not where the problem lies though as cant you just install multibeast after the High Seirra install works on my hackintosh?

Also at the *macOS Utilities* screen do I have to go into disk utilities and erase and format my Mountain Lion SSD?

Will this erase all my files?

I just clicked *Install macOS*

I just wanted to update, but if I have to start fresh I can. I have a backup anyway

*Also might be worth mentioning, I have an additional 1TB HDD inside my hackintosh I use for only for 'Time Machine' back up. Do I need to remove this first?

Im hoping I can work this out with helpful people like both of your advice and it might help others with my motherboard and processor.

Thanks
Jay

Last edited:
Okay thanks its a 16GB Sandisk so should be no problem doing that then.

Surely thats not where the problem lies though as cant you just set up multibeast after the install?

Also at the *macOS Utilities* screen do I have to go into disk utilities and erase and format my Mountain Lion SSD?

Will this erase all my files?

I just clicked *Install macOS*

I just wanted to update, but if I have to start fresh I can. I have a backup anyway

*Also might be worth mentioning, I have an additional 1TB HDD inside my hackintosh I use for only for 'Time Machine' back up. Do I need to remove this first?

Im hoping I can work this out with helpful people like both of your advice and it might help others with my motherboard and processor.

Thanks
Jay

YES, it will wipe out everything in that SSD .

• Do you have any blank disk you can spare.
    • It DOES NOT have to be SSD ,
    • Inexpensive SATA Spin Disk will do.
  • Or do you have a any SATA HDD that you don't mind losing the data inside?
  • You can later on Clone this Disk to your SSD and make the Cloned SSD of Equal or larger size than the Source disk to be the default System disk and save the Spin disk as an emergency Replacement disk.
  • It is ALWAYS better to have as few as a SINGLE hard disk connected to SATA port as Target for any new macOS Installation.
  • Similarly Disconnect all USB devices from the ports EXCEPT the needed Keyboard|Mouse| and the USB Installer disk.

This will ensure no disk clutter in the Utility>Disk Utility screen and will make installation EASIER.

Cmn699 I feel like i'm getting closer to the problem, I hope you realise I honestly extremely appreciate your time and help.

So to be clear, at the "macOS Utilities" you HAVE to erase and partion the SSD (thus wiping it completely)

I am fine with this as I have backed up the hackintosh SSD using ccc onto an external hard drive already.

I was just assuming I could install without wiping the SSD? guess you can't do that?

Could that solely be where I was going wrong?

I can remove the additional internal HDD no problem its literally just my "time machine" backup

I only had my keyboard, mouse & install USB plugged in directly, nothing else

Thanks again
Jay

Cmn699 I feel like i'm getting closer to the problem, I hope you realise I honestly extremely appreciate your time and help.

So to be clear, at the "macOS Utilities" you HAVE to erase and partion the SSD (thus wiping it completely)

I am fine with this as I have backed up the hackintosh SSD using ccc onto an external hard drive already.

I was just assuming I could install without wiping the SSD? guess you can't do that?

Could that solely be where I was going wrong?

I can remove the additional internal HDD no problem its literally just my "time machine" backup

I only had my keyboard, mouse & install USB plugged in directly, nothing else

Thanks again
Jay

• If you have good USB installer created properly using Unibeast 8 or 8.1,
    • Disconnect the back up Hard disk from MoBo
    • just leave SSD connected to the FIRST SATA port .
    • Reboot to enter BIOS by Del key press.
    • Make the HighSierra UEFI USB installer as #1 boot priority in BIOS,
    • DISABLE any and ALL "disks' real or Bogus in Boot Option Priority list
    • and boot your Installer USB
    • Press F12
    • You might still see Bogus Disks and your UEFI USB disk .
    • Select UEFI USB disk to enter CLOVER
    • Make sure you check Options>Boot Args: -v dart=0
  • Boot USB installer
********By the way , I did NOT see your ******Graphics card****** in the Profile. Please add and let me know too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back