Contribute
Register

Updating from os 10.6.2 to os 10.8 or 10.9... how to proceed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
Radeon
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I need to do an update cause my os is getting too old. My soundcard (UAD Apollo) is frequently updated and all the updates are not supporting OS 10.6.2 anymore. My system has worked perfecly for two years but I can´t access some new features because of the obsolescence of my system. From there, I was thinking to add an SSD hard drive for booting and keep this hard drive I´m using now for backup purposes (I now use only one SATA hard drive). I know I need to start my installation from scratch if I want to use another boot drive. But then comes my questions: is my actual configuration is compatible with a newer OS? And which procedure should I follow?

My config:
System: 10.6.8
CPU: i5 2500K
Graphics: Asus Radeon HD NI40
Mobo Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H
LSI FW643 chipset firewire adapter
Corsair Vengence 8Gb 1600 mhz
Seagate SATA 3 500Gigas HD

Thanks for your help!

Is my question too stupid? Please help!

Your best bet is to google yours computer parts and see what the latest version tried on each part is. I can confirm your ram, CPU, HDD, and mobo will work with up to 10.8 (I can't speak for 10.9). The other parts... I just don't know them well enough.

Thanks, I appreciate! Any other inputs, like where should I start, is it differnent to boot with a ssd, which procedure etc...?

1. Back up your current system.

Download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store. Create a UniBeast installer. You can boot the installer and install over your current OS X partition. It will be like doing an upgrade.

2. Other option is install OS X cleanly and restore your files from a Time Machine backup.

You'll then need to run MultiBeast to optimize it.

Thanks Beelzebozo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back