Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

the result should be different depending on the processor
with my I73770 I have to disable the xHCI for standby works

and to start with my Nvidia card under 10.8.3 I have to put the GFX [HD4000 card) in the first video card

or used INTELHD 10.8.2 kexts in 10.8.3
smbios Mac mini 6,2

Thanks for the guide! Having issues with Thunderbolt...

Hey Stork, thanks for the awesome build guide. I unfortunately has some issues on my install. I figured I would post them here for other to find and hopefully my work arounds help.

First off, don't connect your primary drive to the Marvell controller. This issue drove me nuts for hours. I would install, everything would work perfectly, I would reboot into 10.8.2, install all of my Kexts and patches, and then get "waiting for root device" upon reboot. I finally figured out if I changed from the white ports to the darker ones, it boots fine.

Also, I'm using a GTX 275. For some reason I need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes to get support. It works like a breeze now, all memory recognized and it's seen as an x16 card.

Another issue I thought was strange was that I had to install Fake SMC 5.6.1 along with the plugins in order to boot without the UniBeast boot loader. Without that, the system would wait for root device.

I'm using a Sandy Bridge processor, so I installed the SSDT patch in multibeast as well as Trim support for my hard drive.

Final issue, and perhaps you can help me with this, when I plug in my Blackmagic Ultrastudio via Thunderbolt, I get a system freeze. If I reboot with it connected, no device is seen. Any thoughts? I know this peripheral is pretty far outside your peripheral usage as you've said repeatedly you only use FW800, so I'm not hoping for a miracle.

On a positive note, the USB3.0 driver is amazing. Transfers are super fast. On my last build I was using Sonnettech's Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe card to mixed success. These new universal drivers seem bulletproof.

Once again, thanks for doing all the hard work on this. I really appreciate your guide.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

cdothackit,
I'm afraid I can't help you on any of your problems.

As for your FakeSMC issue, if you use the "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation", FakeSMC is installed. (See page 3 in the MultiBeast Features document for the default loads.) I use the FakeSMC installed by the "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation" and checked plug-ins...just like in my original post. No problems. :thumbup:

I no longer use TRIM support. My SSDs have Sandforce controllers which do garbage collection which is what TRIM does.

OK. I'm impressed by your Blackmagic Ultrastudio. (More moola than what I want to pay for an interface just to record my lousy guitar playing. :lol: ) First, Gigabyte's implementation of Thunderbolt doesn't support Hot Swapping Thunderbolt peripherals into the motherboard Thunderbolt plugs. Second, you're out of my league with the Thunderbolt audio interfaces. I recommend you post it your Thunderbolt problem in the Forum's General Help section since you have Mountain Lion installed and running or in the Music forum sub section where a lot of audio engineers hang out: http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/ . Check out BoomR's build description. BTW, BoomR hangs out in the Music forum sub section.

Good luck! See you around the Music "campus."

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did the DSDT Free installation, but I guess FakeSMC didn't install. Very odd, since I've never had an issue with Multibeast.

Cool to know about Sandorce. I need to upgrade my SSD, it's getting long in the tooth.

The ultrastudio is a video product for capturing HDMI and SDI feeds, I doubt the music campus will help me out but I'll head over to the thunderbolt section. I'm not trying to hotswap either. I'm having the same issue with the Sonnet Tempo express card 3/4 adapter, just straight up system freeze and no device recognition on reboot. I need to test with a straight up thunderbolt to firewire adapter.

Oh well, 99% of what I want working is. And the other 1% I can get working in Windows when I really need it. Guess I'll keep looking for that next motherboard with 100% thunderbolt compatibility :p

EDIT: Searching the forums I found one user that offhandly mentioned he had the Ultrastudio Express working in 10.8.2 with an iMac 12,2 profile. I did not install any additional system definition. Did you?

Testing done, for now. I've re-posted my BIOS snapshots.

My test configuration is:
  • Thunderball system disconnected from the IOGear KVM switch;
  • HP ZR24W IPS monitor;
  • Targus BT USB dongle;
  • Apple USB full size keyboard and Logitech USB mouse connect to the Front Panel
  • Apple Wireless keyboard, Mighty Mouse and TrackPad;
  • USB 3.0 external drive with SanDisk Extreme SSD;
  • USB 2.0 Thumbdrive; and
  • Thunderbolt to FW800 Adapter with a FW800 to FW400 Adapter without anything connected.

I tested thelostswede's recommendation to disable Wake-on-LAN. It is still necessary.

I tested sleep/wake-up from the Apple menu > Sleep with XHCI Mode = Smart Auto and Auto and Int CPU PLL Overvoltage on Auto or Disable. Sleep/wake-up works fine with either BIOS parameters' settings. The USB 3 SSD external drive worked fine after sleep's wake-up after I clicked on the OS X message stating that the USB drive has not been properly ejected before "shutdown". So, as a long time Mac user, I've always ejected and shut down my external drives before sleep anyway. No big deal.

I was only able to enter the BIOS using the USB keyboard, but, once inside the BIOS, all the BT devices worked. This was, again, with XHCI Mode = Smart Auto and Auto.

Consequently, with the limited testing I've done (sleep/wake-up, serf the web, watch a video with VLC, etc.), I can not see the difference in system performance with arehep's XHCI Mode = Smart Auto nor Auto and Int CPU PLL Overvoltage on Auto or Disable on my system described above.

arehep, et al, Please give me feedback on your experiences with your configurations.

I never eject my ÚSB devices before manual/auto sleep or reboot (why should i do that ?) and that's why i use Smart Auto

"XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward"

Recall that i don't use the new generic USB3 kext from Multibeast 5.3.0 as it was a downgrade for me
due to that my USB3 HD wasn't recognized after reboot (had to unplug/replug)
no matter if i used Smart Auto or just Auto in bios.

It's very strange if you still get that warning "USB drive has not been properly ejected" after wake from sleep.

The Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage = Disable is only an issue if you are OC'ing.

(If not disabled you get an aprox. 15 sec. mouse lag)

BTY did you test with or without the new generic USB3 kext from M.B 5.3.0 ?

And just to make it clear that new Generic USB3 feature in M.B 5.3.0 is a major USB3 step ahead for almost all other Giagbyte UEFI motherboards.

Stork,

I noticed in BIOS album picture 3 of 11 that your first three drives are listed as UEFI, and the last as P0. Don't the general instructions say that they should all be set to Px? I've been having trouble with that myself.

Also, what does your BIOS list under Hard Drive BBS Priorities? It would be interesting to see that screenshot.

Thanks for all your hard work and insightful comments, it has really helped me in my first hackintosh project. :)

EDIT: Searching the forums I found one user that offhandly mentioned he had the Ultrastudio Express working in 10.8.2 with an iMac 12,2 profile. I did not install any additional system definition. Did you?
No, because the default System Definition is MacPro3,1, and it works fine for 98% of the tonymacx86 users of MultiBeast. However, I am testing the Macmini6,2 SysDef along with a SSDT for the i5-3570K (if you don't know what this is, don't worry, you may not need a SSDT for your system use). So, you might try that SysDef - just run MultiBeast only selecting the Macmini6,2 - to see if it lets you use the Ultrastudio. I do not recommend using iMac SysDefs for technical reasons. :thumbup:

I never eject my ÚSB devices before manual/auto sleep or reboot (why should i do that ?) and that's why i use Smart Auto
Old habit from my early Mac days that I did not do as you discovered for this series of tests.:lol:

"XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward"
Duh! RTFM! Well, my only excuse is that I followed thelostswede's advise in his BIOS article. I'll re-look this approach as I can't use my BT keyboard and mouse to get into the BIOS or in the BIOS when the BT is attached to the KVM switch. But, when I'm in a stand alone mode, I can use the BT keyboard and mouse once in the BIOS. (When the system is attached to the KVM switch, I use the Logitech K750 keyboard whose Unifying receiver is attached to the monitor's USB 2 hub.) In my manual (I had one of the first production runs of this motherboard) it says:
Gigabyte UP5 TH Users Manual said:
xHCI Mode = Smart Auto
This mode is available only when the BIOS supports the xHCI controller in the pre-boot environment. This mode is similar to Auto, but it adds the capability to route the ports to xHCI or EHCI according to setting used in previous boots (for non-G3 boot) in the pre-boot environment. This allows the use of USB 3.0 devices prior to OS boot. xHCI controller enabling and rerouting should follow the steps in Auto, when previous boot routs ports to EHCI. Note: This is the recommended mode when BIOS has xHCI pre-boot support.
Now, how are you suppose to know that your BIOS has xHCI pre-boot support?

Recall that i don't use the new generic USB3 kext from Multibeast 5.3.0 as it was a downgrade for me due to that my USB3 HD wasn't recognized after reboot (had to unplug/replug) no matter if i used Smart Auto or just Auto in bios.
I'm not sure I understand. Why is it a downgrade? What are you using?

It's very strange if you still get that warning "USB drive has not been properly ejected" after wake from sleep.
Don't know what to tell you. I've see that all the time for both FW and USB 3 drives left on and not ejected when I put the system to sleep.

The Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage = Disable is only an issue if you are OC'ing.

(If not disabled you get an aprox. 15 sec. mouse lag)
Hmmm. I get that BT mouse & keyboard lag on start-up into OS X at the login screen. However, a USB mouse/Keyboard and the Logitech K750 keyboard are instantaneous useable. I'll try Smart Auto to see if it cures that lag.

BTW did you test with or without the new generic USB3 kext from M.B 5.3.0 ?
I only did the tests with the Generic USB 3 kext.

And just to make it clear that new Generic USB3 feature in M.B 5.3.0 is a major USB3 step ahead for almost all other Giagbyte UEFI motherboards.
Yes, it is. But, you imply it's not for our UP5 TH motherboard. Did I understand you correctly?

Stork
I think that i already explained everything.

Downgrade due to USB3 HD not recognized if plugged before i power on my comp or reboot.

"Now, how are you suppose to know that your BIOS has xHCI pre-boot support?"
If that option is available in my bios i assume that it has xHCI pre-boot support.

Is you front USB3 connected to USB3 header #2 and/or #3 on the MB ?

Maybe other Z77X-UP5 TH users think that the Generic USB3 kext is an upgrade but as i've stated several times i've never had any issues regarding my USB3 connections due to my Bios settings.

I,ve attached my bios profile.
Try it and se what it will do for you.
(Unzip to a fat formatted usb stick and use the load profile feature in bios)
But first delete that generic USB3 kext.
It's oc'ed to 4,2 Ghz (i7-3770K) but you can just correct that.
I don't have any Thunderbolt device so settings for that may have to be edited to.
If it's not working after first boot then power off and pull out the ac plug for a minute to reset
the USB3 hubs.

"I use the Logitech K750 keyboard whose Unifying receiver is attached to the monitor's USB 2 hub"
Why don't you plug it directly into your KVM switch ?
Isn't there a USB2 port for mouse and keyboard ?

I'm a fifty/fifty Windows/Mac user and i´m using a wired USB Dell Windows keyboard
(water and beer resistant
) and i've learned most mac shortcuts using that.

But i have a wireless Logitech Dinovo Keyboard Mac Edition and just tested if i could enter bios using that but NO GO.

Attachments

• Bios settings GA-Z77X-UP5 TH F11.zip
    683 bytes · Views: 103

I do not recommend using iMac SysDefs for technical reasons. :thumbup:

Hi Stork, wonderful how you keep the ball, i.e. info, rolling here, thanks much for your tests, etc.

Now could you be a little more specific regarding your "technical reasons" for not choosing an iMac SysDef? Over at Vitaly's "personl-view" video blog some of the gurus (e.g. "Driftwood" of GH2 hack-settings-fame... http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4150/the-definitive-hackintosh-topic/p7?post#Form_Body)
claim to get better performance video-wise using the iMac 12 or 13 SysDefs, using exactly this MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back