Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I have an older 23" ACD with the DVI interface. The Z77X-DS3H mobo can't negotiate a lower resolution with the ACD to display the BIOS. It's displayed all mucked up. Several others have reported the same problem with 23" and 24" ACDs. Does your 27" ACD work the Gigabyte Z77 BIOS?

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Yes! First I had z77n-wifi with my 27 iMac as a monitor. Which was hit and miss with the showing the bios. Then I swapped rigs and wanted to loose the graphics card route. So I bought the z77-up5 th to run a Cinema Display. And it shows the bios screen very well. When my rig boots up it shows the gigabyte screen splash with the option to enter the
bios which looks like its running low graphics. But when u enter the bios it look like the native resolution. So I'm very happy with the Cinema Display. The audio and USB ports work great too.

I'm very happy with Multibeast 5.3. Everything works as it should, at least: sleep, iStat Menus…

You guys at Tonymac shoud consider fixing this Windows 8 Pro crapware as well. All of my games keep crashing on Steam for whatever memory reason. It's driving me crazy since I updated my Hackintosh for gaming. And no, my memories are fine, for once. I run Memtest with not a single error.

I'm very happy with Multibeast 5.3. Everything works as it should, at least: sleep, iStat Menus…
Good! :clap::thumbup:

You guys at Tonymac shoud consider fixing this Windows 8 Pro crapware as well. All of my games keep crashing on Steam for whatever memory reason. It's driving me crazy since I updated my Hackintosh for gaming. And no, my memories are fine, for once. I run Memtest with not a single error.
I have no idea what you are talking about since I don't play computer games. I recommend you put your request in the Gaming forum section; maybe someone there has a solution. http://www.tonymacx86.com/gaming/

@ stork

I got a Problem with my thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter which is connected to a rme fireface 400, with a firewire 800 to firewire 400 cable.

When i do a cold start up, i every time get a freeze. Even when only the thunderbolt to firewire adapter is connected without the device. i have VT-d disabled, thunderbolt wake up disabled and so on, tried a lot of bios settings. also diffrent sysdefs, till now i didnt work it out.

But the interesting thing is that when i do a restart after the first freeze, everything is fine, even when wake up on thunderbolt device in the bios is enabled?

Do you have any idea, whats the problem? Is my adapter in the as? Or the motherboard?

I did a vanilla install of 10.8.3 bios is f11. i'm using the bottom thunderbolt port. means port 2.

What can i do?

Greetz Sam

My Windows 8 issues are all gone! I also uninstalled a few Apple's unnecessary programs, but my guess they were related to the bootloader, somehow (probably the memory management). Windows doesn't like Chameleon, anyway. On a previous configuration, Windows 7 SP1 Update had failed to install at least 5 times, until I had the idea of changing the boot order so it could start first.

@ stork

I got a Problem with my thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter which is connected to a rme fireface 400, with a firewire 800 to firewire 400 cable.

When i do a cold start up, i every time get a freeze. Even when only the thunderbolt to firewire adapter is connected without the device. i have VT-d disabled, thunderbolt wake up disabled and so on, tried a lot of bios settings. also diffrent sysdefs, till now i didnt work it out.

But the interesting thing is that when i do a restart after the first freeze, everything is fine, even when wake up on thunderbolt device in the bios is enabled?

Do you have any idea, whats the problem? Is my adapter in the as? Or the motherboard?

I did a vanilla install of 10.8.3 bios is f11. i'm using the bottom thunderbolt port. means port 2.

What can i do?

Greetz Sam
Wow! I have the Apple TH to FW800 and an Other World Computing (macsales.com) FW800 to FW400 adapter and all works as it should. BTW, I have not found the "VT-d" BIOS setting as I'm running a i5-3570K.

Can you do me a favor stork.

Can you check what hapoens if you boot only with your thunderbolt to firewire adapter connected without the device, when you do a cold start up, means power off at all...

When your machin boots fine, i have a problem with my bios settings, my thunderbolt port or my thunderbolt adapter.

Please send me a Pm with a Printscreen of every single detail of your bios settings. Meanwhile i tried bios 12e aswell as 13a...Had no chance.

Thanks in advance.

Samuel

Addition:

He has the same Problem like me, so then i dont think my port is broken or so, then i would tend to bios settings...He gets the same debug leds from the board:

Message from griffin800 here http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...5-th-cannot-mount-mbp-target-disk-mode-3.html

sorry for all the updates...

i figured i'd still report my info here..

so, when the Macbook pro thunderbolt is plugged in at boot... from a shutdown state, and the system starts up normally, the LED diag shows "A0" when fully booted into OSX

When i unplug the thunderbolt in the OS, the LED changes to "01", (again no definition in manual)

and when plugging back in, it goes back to "6E"... not to "A0"

it's very interesting to me, there are things going on in the motherboard thunderbolt / pcie circuitry for detection that the OS isn't seeing...

but "6E" does not cause a Freezeup, where as "6C" will cause a freeze to the system.

My current bios settings are

thunderbolt
no wake on thunderbolt devices
a value of "4" for resources"
256mb ram assigned to thunderbolt.

I'm wondering... If there was another device in between the Macbook pro, and the motherboard... such as a display or, a seagate or lacie external hard drive... I wonder if there would be some change in this situation at the moment.

I know other devices are detectable...

i just think there may be some hardware level "handshaking" going on between a MBP in target disk mode, and another mac...

I'll stop posting for tonight... don't want to annoy anyone...

Yes! First I had z77n-wifi with my 27 iMac as a monitor. Which was hit and miss with the showing the bios. Then I swapped rigs and wanted to loose the graphics card route. So I bought the z77-up5 th to run a Cinema Display. And it shows the bios screen very well. When my rig boots up it shows the gigabyte screen splash with the option to enter the
bios which looks like its running low graphics. But when u enter the bios it look like the native resolution. So I'm very happy with the Cinema Display. The audio and USB ports work great too.
Hi thanks for reading all of you
Is the webcam working too?

Hello.
iSight camera work perfect as well as the USB audio
on the display. It works perfect basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back