Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

...Now could you be a little more specific regarding your "technical reasons" for not choosing an iMac SysDef?...
No, I'm not going to get into the technical "stuff" here because the "technical reasons" hurts my head. The short answer has to do with power management. But, you can read about it in SSDT forum section. http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/ Since my expertise lies in another area of technology (not Computer Science, obviously), I'll leave the "technical reasons" to the guys working the technical stuff in the SSDT forum section

BTW, interesting thread at that Personal View site. The one commenter said,
If you see better performance with SSDT, more power to you. I didn't, and the more I read that thread the more I feel they're chasing something that's more of a bandaid for suboptimal builds than necessary part of a fully optimized Hackintosh.
Is basically what tony and several of the moderators told me. YMMV. It's either a hobby or a tool to get work done. :thumbup:

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

No, I'm not going to get into the technical "stuff" here because the "technical reasons" hurts my head. The short answer has to do with power management. But, you can read about it in SSDT forum section. http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/ Since my expertise lies in another area of technology (not Computer Science, obviously), I'll leave the "technical reasons" to the guys working the technical stuff in the SSDT forum section

BTW, interesting thread at that Personal View site. The one commenter said,Is basically what tony and several of the moderators told me. YMMV. It's either a hobby or a tool to get work done. :thumbup:

“It's either a hobby or a tool to get work done”
That’s very simplified.
Think about this
If it’s a car (tool) witch main function is to bring you from a to b
If you can ajust it to use less gasoline to do that job would’nt that be a benefit or would you categorise that as a hobby ?
I’m not talking about tuning it to run faster I’m talking about making it run more power efficient

The short answer has to do with power management. But, you can read about it in SSDT forum section. http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/

Okay, so is it safe to say that the only effect the SMBIOS def has is regarding power management? Nothing to do with how peripherals perform or bandwidth? BTW on the 6 or 7 Hackintosh systems I have built, I also ONLY have used the MacPro 3.1 default sysdef. In fact it was that thread at Personal View that started me scratching my head, that I was missing out on something, because a few posters on that thread claimed extraordinary imporovement, at least in bench mark scores, using iMac systemdefs. Perhaps this would not really be reflected in real-world use. I'd appreciate anybody's experience with this theme. best, n.m.

Yeah, that, too. BTW, I've read, join the Personal View forum and have commented in that thread. You'll need to go read what the gurus are saying about iMac13,1/2 SysDef's in the SSDT forum section.

BTW, IIRC from what I've read, the ",1/2" number for the MacMini and iMac have to do with processor type. The ",1" is for i5 processors, and the ",2" is for i7 processors. YMMV.

I also understand from others that Airplay Mirroring needs Macmini or Macbookpro (current models) SysDef. However, I have Airplay for music (my biggie) to an Airport Express connected to my audio/visual receiver using the default MacPro3,1 SysDef. Love this capability which I've been using ever since the first Airport Expresses came out. (My Apple TVs unfortunately are hot rodded 1st gens, and, to be truthful, I have not used them since I got my Roku.)

Disclaimer. I do not understand most of the SpeedStep & power management arguments, especially for desktops. But, when one trusted, knowledgeable moderator says to stay away from the iMac13,1/2 for now because of power management issues, I salute smartly and move on to other things. :lol: :thumbup:

Okay point well made (well actually you made the point 3 pages ago, I just wanted to double/triple/check!): MacPro3.1 unless you are the hot-rodding-tweaking-never-satisified type of hackintosher.

One last query, I seem to remember, once upon a time, certain applications (like Adobe premiere) were NOT happy if you changed you systemdef. Is there any special procedure for changing the systemdef AFTER install to avoid any eventual conflicts?

OK. Progress made. I ran Pike-Alpha's SSDT's script to get a SSDT that matches my i5-3570K processor. (See Pike's updated 1st post.)

Code:
localhost:Desktop Stork$ [B]sudo ./ssdtPRGen.command i5-3570K[/B]

sdtPRGen.sh v6.1 Copyright (c) 2013 by Pike R. Alpha
----------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Declaration(s) Found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt_pr.dsl for a Macmini6,1 [Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED]
Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K processor [0x0601] setup
With a maximum TDP of 77 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 3400 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 4 (3500-3800 MHz)
Number of P-States: 23 (1600-3800 MHz)
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3)
Warning: Model identifier [Macmini6,1] is missing from: /S*/L*/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0601 instead of 0x0701)
Error: board-id [Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED] and model [Macmini6,1] mismatch

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     /Users/Stork/Desktop/ssdt_pr.dsl - 231 lines, 7419 bytes, 36 keywords
AML Output:    /Users/Stork/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml - 1348 bytes, 15 named objects, 21 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Do you want to copy /Users/Stork/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml to /Extra/ssdt.aml? (y/n)?y 
localhost:Desktop Stork$
Using the Macmini6,1 (6,1 == i5 processor) System Definition, I get the following P-States from Pike's script resulting SSDT: 16, 21, 28, 34, 37, 38. These are obviously a much better spread than those generated by MaciASL (12, 16, 23, 31, 38). Note: 12 is not suitable for our desktops as the Intel desktop i5/i7 have a base of 16 - my desktop is not a laptop. :thumbup:

I also used Pike's generated SSDT with a MacPro3,1 SysDef, and I got 16 & 38 P-states (just two!). Consequently, you don't want to use a SSDT with a MacPro3,1 SysDef.

I'm still testing. I don't notice (with my eyes) any difference in everyday performance from the default MultiBeast setting. I only way I know how it's operating is by watching the P-state window while running DPCIManager. I also don't think this will have any impact on benchmarks, and I'm not really concerned so long as Thunderball runs as I expect it to run.

Macpro3,1 / no SSDT:​
16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 38
Macmini6,1 / i5-3570K SSDT:​
16, 21, 28, 34, 37, 38

Now, back to working out the BIOS parameters. Hang in there gang!

Hi Stork
When your testing is done you should try this.

In terminal run this cmd.

~/ssdtPRGen.command 3400 72 1

(this is only for the i5-3570K non OC)

This will lower the TDP from 77Wat to 72Wat and idle temperature will drop aprox. 3 - 4 centigrade.

I’m using it on my 4,2 Ghz OC’ed i7-3770K with only a 50 point drop in Geekbench. (15940 – 15890) (~/ssdtPRGen.command 4200 72 1)

It's an advice from PikeRAlfa post#237

http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm-10.html

OT
If you like me don't like that ugly leather skin in Contacts and Calendar
go here:

http://macnix.blogspot.dk/2012/05/change-mac-os-108-mountain-lion.html

Calendar Before.png Calendar After.png
Before/After

arehep,
Thanks for the SSDT advice and Calendar/Contacts mod(s).

Since I don't overclock and my temperatures are ambient, I'm OK with my current settings. However, should I decide to OC (I never rule it out), I will definitely tune the SSDT for OC'ing. :thumbup:

All,
Stick with the default MultiBeast settings as I detail in my build description post until you've got your system running and have done your due diligence (research). If and when you start "playing around," backup, backup, backup. :thumbup:

arehep,
Thanks for the SSDT advice and Calendar/Contacts mod(s).

Since I don't overclock and my temperatures are ambient, I'm OK with my current settings. However, should I decide to OC (I never rule it out), I will definitely tune the SSDT for OC'ing. :thumbup:

All,
Stick with the default MultiBeast settings as I detail in my build description post until you've got your system running and have done your due diligence (research). If and when you start "playing around," backup, backup, backup. :thumbup:

You say that your temperatures are ambient ?
Are you living in a sauna :D

BTY how is your testing of Bios parameters going?

Acording backup i think that everyone should take a look here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/349-time-machine-backup-recovery-customac.html

Beelzebozo made a really great video guide how to use TimeMachine via unibeast to restore your hack to an earlier working point.
Beelzebozo is using an internal HD but i's also working with an external USB HD

Do you use the Targus Bluetooth USB Dongle for the Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse? If so, they work after the Hack wakes up from sleep?

I have the IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter but thinking about getting the Targus if you say it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back