Contribute
Register

*UPDATED*[Guide] Gigabyte Z170 HD3P 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have followed littlegreen's bios settings and the install works great with no problems what so ever,
but after that I can't get anything to work: no sound, no Ethernet, no video card.
USB 3 and 2 it seems to work front and back with no problem.
I have tried to "copy the ENTIRE EFI folder FROM the USB DRIVE TO your LOCAL DRIVE" but I don't know how/where EFI folder is on my HDD.

Find the EFI partition using diskutil, use mkdir to make a folder which will be the mount point, then mount the EFI partition using mount_msdos.
Code:
diskutil list
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

There's also utilities to do that for you.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/community-software.10/

If you install Clover using the Clover installer, then it will add a Clover preferences panel where you can select an option to automatically mount the EFI (ESP) at startup. It requires NVRAM variables to work though.

Rename BOOT folder to BOOT.BAK (in /EFI/CLOVER) - to avoid those endless entries in the BIOS boot menu

Well, my system doesnt boot anymore now. So, could you explain in detail how you managed to prevent OS X from writing boot entries into the NVRAM? Thanks a lot :)

Well, my system doesnt boot anymore now. So, could you explain in detail how you managed to prevent OS X from writing boot entries into the NVRAM? Thanks a lot :)

Please refer to this specific reply in the Skylake Testing Thread - it's how I got it solved.
http://tonymacx86.com/threads/testing-thread-skylake-platform-in-os-x.176407/page-35#post-1167324

I am very sorry for not clarifying it completely - if I paste every single small solution the guide itself would be 10 times as long. I will, however, put a link in the OP so people do not get confused. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH! I have a GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI motherboard, and I had been experiencing so many kernel panics, and I was only able to boot through safe mode. Your settings solved this all!
:)

Boot from the USB stick, use the EFI Shell to rename BOOT.BAK to BOOT (use FS0:, FS1:, etc commands to select the filesystem, use ls to list the files, use mv to rename a file). Then Boot Windows. Download EasyUEFI and run EasyUEFI. Remove duplicate boot entries. Create a boot entry for Clover for the EFI partition containing Clover. Set the file path to that of CLOVERX64.efi. Remove any partition entries that were created by the BIOS that do not contain a file path (except maybe the hard drive and DVD options).

So my build has been working for a couple months now! Been a long road... The new problem I've encountered is with my USB ports. I recently bought a USB 3.0 external HDD to start backing up my internal drives, but when I connect it to the ports on the mobo labeled 3.0, it doesn't show up on the system (I'm assuming it's because they're mis-represented somehow). The two USB 2.0 ports see it... I don't quite know how to make sense of the USB DSDT fixes I've found...any advice on how to patch the DSDT to recognize my USB ports properly/what files can I upload to help see my problem better? Using USBInjectAll.kext (still) and <key>FixOwnership</key> and <key>Inject</key> are both set to true in my Clover config.plist. I've looked at IORegistryExplorer's readout, as well as MaciASL, and I don't understand what I'm looking at :/ Any ideas would be appreciated!

So my build has been working for a couple months now! Been a long road... The new problem I've encountered is with my USB ports. I recently bought a USB 3.0 external HDD to start backing up my internal drives, but when I connect it to the ports on the mobo labeled 3.0, it doesn't show up on the system (I'm assuming it's because they're mis-represented somehow). The two USB 2.0 ports see it... I don't quite know how to make sense of the USB DSDT fixes I've found...any advice on how to patch the DSDT to recognize my USB ports properly/what files can I upload to help see my problem better? Using USBInjectAll.kext (still) and <key>FixOwnership</key> and <key>Inject</key> are both set to true in my Clover config.plist. I've looked at IORegistryExplorer's readout, as well as MaciASL, and I don't understand what I'm looking at :/ Any ideas would be appreciated!
I didn't use a DSDT for my USB ports.

In IORegistryExplorer, you should see an XHC device with ports labeled something like HS01 and SS01. HS is USB 2.0, and SS is USB 3.0. HS01 and SS01 are both part of the same physical port. Mac OS X only lets the XHC device have 15 ports total (SS and HS count as separate). It will not allow more than 15 without a patch. Maybe the SS port you plugged the external HDD into is one of the ports it excluded. Mac OS X may have included ports that don't have a physical connector. If you explicitly exclude those, then that will allow Mac OS X to include some of the ports that it excluded before. Use a mouse, plug it into each USB port, and note which port the mouse is connected to in IORegistryExplorer. Keep track of the physical location of the port and it's device name in IORegistry Explorer. After testing all the ports, note which ports did not get a connection, and add them to a uia_exclude parameter in boot arguments in config.plist. Mine looks like this:
Code:
uia_exclude=HS11;HS12;HS13;HS14;USR1;USR2;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10;HS02

**EDIT**
I always miss something...just had to eliminate EVEN MORE ports to get to SS09--silly that it would correspond directly to the number of the port I was asking about lol sarcasm. Thank you again for your help joevt!
Thank you!! You're right, once I blocked the unused HS ports using
Code:
uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;etc.
the SS ports appeared in IOReg on reboot, and 4/5 are working properly now. There's only ONE USB3.0 port that's still giving me grief. I usually have the USB connector (2.0) for my Cintiq13HD display hooked up there anyway though, so no big deal...but if you knew how to correct it :D...the port (HS09) will read 2.0 devices, but not 3.0. Is there a way to force/edit the status of a USB port?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back