Contribute
Register

updated Clover no boot option. Desperate need of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@olleolsson Can you run this command in Terminal:

diskutil list

Then post a screenshot showing the disks that are listed in your system, as shown in the example below.

View attachment 513231 Terminal window showing list of drives connected to my iMac1 system.
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 21.45.14.png

From that screenshot it is clear you have two drives installed:
  1. 16GB USB installation drive.
  2. 250GB SSD.
Just so we are clear: The EFI Partition on the SSD is where your Clover installation should be located. The partition you need to mount to provide a copy your /EFI/CLOVER folder is disk1s1.

Is the CLOVER folder you provided in post #18 from this EFI Partition on the SSD?

The reason you can't see any macOS icons when you boot to your Clover boot screen is because the Clover folder you are using is lacking any HFS+ drivers.

You need to have HFSPlus.efi (better driver) or VBoxHfs.efi in the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder for any HFS+ macOS drives to be shown.

Having reviewed the contents of the CLOVER folder from post #18 I would comment as follows:

This is a screenshot of the contents of your CLOVER folder.
Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 23.31.52.png
It contains a lot of unused sub-folders and lacks a number of what I would think were essential SSDT's. drivers and kexts.

This is the CLOVER I would create were I building a folder for your Skylake system:
Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 23.40.51.png
As you can see, they are very different and the one I would create contains a lot more SSDT's, drivers and kexts.

You should pay particular attention to the location of the third-party kexts, as you probably have them installed in your /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folder or your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. With the newer versions of Clover the prime location for these kexts was changed from these two System folders to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. As Apple changed system settings in each version of macOS including El Capitan.

I am sure you can boot your System with your current config.plist but I think it is in need of some serious editing and updating, to get it anywhere near where I would expect a Skylake config.plist to be.

I have a Skylake Hack that I booted with Clover and it worked very smoothly (since switched it to OpenCore). So I have a good idea what should and what shouldn't be present in a Skylake config.

I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try on your system.

I would suggest using it on a spare USB pen drive, i.e. don't replace your current CLOVER folder on the SSD, in case something goes amiss. Especially if the third-party kexts are installed in your /S/L/E or /L/E folders as anticipated.

You would be advised to read this guide by Jaymonkey in respect of the Third-Party kexts - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/.

I would strongly recommend you deal with this kext matter before you try booting from the attached CLOVER folder!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
The reason you can't see any macOS icons when you boot to your Clover boot screen is because the Clover folder you are using is lacking any HFS+ drivers.

You need to have HFSPlus.efi (better driver) or VBoxHfs.efi in the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder for any HFS+ macOS drives to be shown.

Having reviewed the contents of the CLOVER folder from post #18 I would comment as follows:

This is a screenshot of the contents of your CLOVER folder.
View attachment 513381
It contains a lot of unused sub-folders and lacks a number of what I would think were essential SSDT's. drivers and kexts.

This is the CLOVER I would create were I building a folder for your Skylake system:
View attachment 513383
As you can see, they are very different and the one I would create contains a lot more SSDT's, drivers and kexts.

You should pay particular attention to the location of the third-party kexts, as you probably have them installed in your /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folder or your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. With the newer versions of Clover the prime location for these kexts was changed from these two System folders to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. As Apple changed system settings in each version of macOS including El Capitan.

I am sure you can boot your System with your current config.plist but I think it is in need of some serious editing and updating, to get it anywhere near where I would expect a Skylake config.plist to be.

I have a Skylake Hack that I booted with Clover and it worked very smoothly (since switched it to OpenCore). So I have a good idea what should and what shouldn't be present in a Skylake config.

I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try on your system.

I would suggest using it on a spare USB pen drive, i.e. don't replace your current CLOVER folder on the SSD, in case something goes amiss. Especially if the third-party kexts are installed in your /S/L/E or /L/E folders as anticipated.

You would be advised to read this guide by Jaymonkey in respect of the Third-Party kexts - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/.

I would strongly recommend you deal with this kext matter before you try booting from the attached CLOVER folder!
Before we potentially are doing unnecessary things for me. I want to go back to the root of why I´m doing this and what I want from my machine/system.

I´m working with a video project and now I want to export the final video but my editing software (Davinci Resolve) is having hard times doing it. It may help if I am able to use the Nividia Web drivers that´s why I in the first place tried Problem 6: No native NVRAM support to remember driver selection

After I´m done with this video project I am thinking about upgrading my system and doing a clean new install. So what I want from my current system/setup is to be able to provide maximum performance to my editing software so I hopefully can export my video. That’s why I want Nividia web drivers to work. I can live with booting from usb and other “defects” as long as my system is able to provide maximum performance to my editing software.
As soon as my video is exported I´m going to rebuild my system.
I want help to find the fastest and simplest way to be able to do this…? is the best way still to carry on with changes in the CLOVER folder and kext?

Back to my thoughts regarding your latest post.

I see. Of course some questions came to my head.
So the two things I should do is first deal with the kext and then try to boot with your CLOVER folder right?

How do I boot with your CLOVER folder on a spare USB?

Down below I have uploaded two documents that contanins all the kext in my /S/L/E and /L/E folders so you can take a look. (the folders were to big to upload)

Attachments

• :L:E.zip
    28.6 KB · Views: 32
  • :S:L:E.zip
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
I think you will never get the Nvidia drivers working at their best with your current setup. That is my personal opinion, others may disagree and are welcome to offer an alternative solution.

If you choose to follow my suggestions then these are the things you need to do.

Kext relocation and replacement:

Your /System/Library/Extensions folder is fine, unchanged with no additional kexts installed.

Your /Library/Extensions folder contains a number of third-party kexts, as expected. These can be split in to two groups.

Group 1 contains the kexts that can be relocated to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Group 2 contains the kexts that should be replaced with newer kexts, i.e. the kexts that have superseded the kexts you are currently using.

Group1.
These kexts should be removed from /Library/Extensions folder and relocated to /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
Group 2.
These kexts should be removed from /Library/Extensions folder and replaced with newer alternatives, while being relocated to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
Current kext Replacement kext
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext BrcmFirmwareData.kext
FakePCIID.kext & FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext AirPortBrcmFixup.kext
FakeSMC.kext VirtualSMC.kext
realtekALC.kext AppleALC.kext
N/A Lilu.kext
N/A WhateverGreen.kext

Install Clover to USB:
Here is a screenshot guide showing how to install Clover_r5119 to a USB pen drive.
  1. First get hold of a spare USB pen drive, size is immaterial as you will only be installing Clover on the drive, not a full macOS installer.
  2. You will be erasing the USB so make sure you remove any data on the drive before you start this process.
  3. Open Disk Utility and select the USB pen drive from the list of drives in the left Hand column:
  4. Select the Erase option and use the following settings:
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 12.58.24.png Erase settings for Clover usb pen drive.
  5. Now with the USB prepared you can start installing Clover on the USB in UEFI mode.
  6. Open the attached Clover_r5119 installer.
    • Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.06.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.20.png Enter your password if requestedScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.33.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.40.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.49.png Select 'Change Install Location' buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.59.png Select the Clover USB, then the Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.49.png Select 'Customise' buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.54.39.png Select top two entries in list, then Install buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.42.16.png Enter your password, then Install Software buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.53.40.png Close Clover wizard once complete.
  7. These two partitions from the USB should be on your desktop.
    • Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.53.59.png
    • Open the EFI Partition.
    • Open the EFI Folder within the EFI partition
    • Replace the CLOVER folder within the EFI Folder, with the CLOVER folder I provided below.
    • USB is now ready to boot with the revised CLOVER folder.
The CLOVER folder below contains the necessary Kexts and replacement kexts for your system.

But you still need to remove the kexts from the /Library/Extensions folder.

Before you REBOOT the system, using the new USB, you need to rebuild the kernel cache and repair permissions on the /L/E folder.

Easiest way to do this is to use Hackintool App, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the rebuild kernel cache and repair permissions icon, icon on the far right in the bottom row of icons.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 23.21.47.png Hackintool > Utilities tab

Let me know how you get on, or if you decide to not pursue this option.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.41.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.41.08.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 26
  • CLOVERv2.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
I think you will never get the Nvidia drivers working at their best with your current setup. That is my personal opinion, others may disagree and are welcome to offer an alternative solution.

If you choose to follow my suggestions then these are the things you need to do.

Kext relocation and replacement:

Your /System/Library/Extensions folder is fine, unchanged with no additional kexts installed.

Your /Library/Extensions folder contains a number of third-party kexts, as expected. These can be split in to two groups.

Group 1 contains the kexts that can be relocated to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Group 2 contains the kexts that should be replaced with newer kexts, i.e. the kexts that have superseded the kexts you are currently using.

Group1.
These kexts should be removed from /Library/Extensions folder and relocated to /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
Group 2.
These kexts should be removed from /Library/Extensions folder and replaced with newer alternatives, while being relocated to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
Current kext Replacement kext
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext BrcmFirmwareData.kext
FakePCIID.kext & FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext AirPortBrcmFixup.kext
FakeSMC.kext VirtualSMC.kext
realtekALC.kext AppleALC.kext
N/A Lilu.kext
N/A WhateverGreen.kext

Install Clover to USB:
Here is a screenshot guide showing how to install Clover_r5119 to a USB pen drive.
  1. First get hold of a spare USB pen drive, size is immaterial as you will only be installing Clover on the drive, not a full macOS installer.
  2. You will be erasing the USB so make sure you remove any data on the drive before you start this process.
  3. Open Disk Utility and select the USB pen drive from the list of drives in the left Hand column:
  4. Select the Erase option and use the following settings:
  5. Now with the USB prepared you can start installing Clover on the USB in UEFI mode.
  6. Open the attached Clover_r5119 installer.
  7. These two partitions from the USB should be on your desktop.
    • View attachment 513511
    • Open the EFI Partition.
    • Open the EFI Folder within the EFI partition
    • Replace the CLOVER folder within the EFI Folder, with the CLOVER folder I provided below.
    • USB is now ready to boot with the revised CLOVER folder.
The CLOVER folder below contains the necessary Kexts and replacement kexts for your system.

But you still need to remove the kexts from the /Library/Extensions folder.

Before you REBOOT the system, using the new USB, you need to rebuild the kernel cache and repair permissions on the /L/E folder.

Easiest way to do this is to use Hackintool App, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the rebuild kernel cache and repair permissions icon, icon on the far right in the bottom row of icons.

View attachment 513515 Hackintool > Utilities tab

Let me know how you get on, or if you decide to not pursue this option.
Thanks a lot for your time making me this guide and explain everything. I have now got another USBstick to install clover on. I have downloaded all necessary files (Clover_r5119, CLOVERv2 and Hackintool)

Before proceeding further, I want to make some things clear.

How do I relocate the kexts in group 1 and group 2? Should I use the guide by Jaymonkey. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/ and install all replacement kexts as described in section 6. Updating kexts as described in section 7. Deleating kexts as described in section 8.
Or since you said that I should relocate to /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder I might not use Jaymonkeys guide. Because Jaymonkeys guide refers to installing in /Library/Extensions folder. In what way should I do this?

I would relocate the kexts to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Just to clarify; I have already placed the kexts that need to be retained and the ones that need replacement in the CLOVERv2 /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You just need to remove/delete the kexts listed in post # 25 from their current location (/Library/Extensions folder) and repair permissions and rebuild the kextcache. BEFORE YOU REBOOT!

Then use the CLOVERv2 folder on the USB you have installed Clover_r5119 on to. The last section of post # 25 explains this.

It is what I meant with the 'Let me know if you wish to pursue this option' sentence.

I would relocate the kexts to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Just to clarify; I have already placed the kexts that need to be retained and the ones that need replacement in the CLOVERv2 /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You just need to remove/delete the kexts listed in post # 25 from their current location (/Library/Extensions folder) and repair permissions and rebuild the kextcache. BEFORE YOU REBOOT!

Then use the CLOVERv2 folder on the USB you have installed Clover_r5119 on to. The last section of post # 25 explains this.

It is what I meant with the 'Let me know if you wish to pursue this option' sentence.
So I can simply remove the kexts from (/Library/Extensions folder) by deleting them in Finder and then repair permissions and rebuild the kextcache. right? I will try to boot with your method tomorrow.

Yes, that is correct. The important part is the permission repair and cache rebuild.

Yes, that is correct. The important part is the permission repair and cache rebuild.
Should I delete all the kexts in /Library/Extensions folder or just the ones you listed in post # 25 and leave the rest still in /Library/Extensions folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back