i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello...

My current hack has been running flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

My current OS is Lion 10.7.2

I want to update to Mavericks... but I'm afraid. I don't want to break my hack and not know how to fix it.

Can someone please let me know if you have updated from Lion to Mavericks and what issues you ran into?
Please.

Here is my current build

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Amazon

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Amazon

GPU: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x
Amazon

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600?C9B
Amazon

HD0 (for OS and Apps): OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive
Amazon

HD1 (file storage, Adobe scratch disk): Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
Amazon

BURNER: LG CD/DVD Burner Model GH22NS50
Amazon

CPU COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performanc?e CPU Cooler CWCH50-1
Amazon

P/S: Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX Power Supply Unit
Amazon

CASE: Antec Performance One P183 V3 Case
Amazon

Why not get another drive, clone your existing drive to it, update the clone and try it out. This way, if you don't like it or your apps won't run on 10.9, then you have lost nothing to erase the drive and put it back in the drawer/closet for future use. I keep a couple of 128Gb laptop drives for just this purpose.

Why not get another drive, clone your existing drive to it, update the clone and try it out. This way, if you don't like it or your apps won't run on 10.9, then you have lost nothing to erase the drive and put it back in the drawer/closet for future use. I keep a couple of 128Gb laptop drives for just this purpose.

This is not a bad idea. Thank you for the reply. I was thinking the same thing actually.

I posted in another thread about this subject as well and got a reply saying that it is advisable, and probably necessary to update the BIOS on my motherboard to UE1 and make some settings changes there. And once you to the BIOS update you can't go back.

So that is another point of contention. I'm going to post in the other thread a reply about updating the BIOS and if I do use a new HD to try out the update and it doesn't work for some reason, if I can put the old HD back in with 10.7.2 and still have my comp work with that drive with the updated BIOS.

Here is a link to the other thread if you are interested in the discussion:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...rks-flawless-w-mavericks-ob-2.html#post825838

This is not a bad idea. Thank you for the reply. I was thinking the same thing actually.

I posted in another thread about this subject as well and got a reply saying that it is advisable, and probably necessary to update the BIOS on my motherboard to UE1 and make some settings changes there. And once you to the BIOS update you can't go back.

So that is another point of contention. I'm going to post in the other thread a reply about updating the BIOS and if I do use a new HD to try out the update and it doesn't work for some reason, if I can put the old HD back in with 10.7.2 and still have my comp work with that drive with the updated BIOS.

Here is a link to the other thread if you are interested in the discussion:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...rks-flawless-w-mavericks-ob-2.html#post825838

If you are happy with your Legacy install, there is no reason to update the BIOS to UEFI just to be updating it. Mavericks is perfectly happy installed on a Legacy BIOS system with a DSDT in the /Extra folder, just the same for your board as for my X58 board with Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back