Register

Update from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 263
Toward the middle of the picture, see the line "Kernel Extensions in Backtrace"? The next line mentions AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

To get past this, we will rename the kext so it is not recognized as a kext.

For this process, you need to know the exact name of your OSX drive.

Boot the Unibeast USB drive to the installer. Answer the language question. In the next screen, select Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Now:

Code:
Type:  diskutil list

Toward the bottom of the Terminal window, in the middle, should be the name of your OSX drive.

Next:

Code:
Type:  cd "/Volumes/(name of OSX drive)"  <-- use quotes but not parens
Type:  cd System/Library/Extensions
Type:  mv AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.bak
Type:  cd ../
Type:  touch Extensions

Boot to the hard drive.

Toward the middle of the picture, see the line "Kernel Extensions in Backtrace"? The next line mentions AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

To get past this, we will rename the kext so it is not recognized as a kext.

For this process, you need to know the exact name of your OSX drive.

Boot the Unibeast USB drive to the installer. Answer the language question. In the next screen, select Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Now:

Code:
Type:  diskutil list

Toward the bottom of the Terminal window, in the middle, should be the name of your OSX drive.

Next:

Code:
Type:  cd "/Volumes/(name of OSX drive)"  <-- use quotes but not parens
Type:  cd System/Library/Extensions
Type:  mv AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.bak
Type:  cd ../
Type:  touch Extensions

Boot to the hard drive.

will do, give me a few minutes. thanks

This fixed the kernel panic. Know on booting it goes through the spinning wheel screen but stalls with a white screen. I tried -x and got same result. With -v i get quite a way into boot before it stalls. Could it be something with the new 660ti versus the onboard graphics from the original cloned hard drive?

Could it be something with the new 660ti versus the onboard graphics from the original cloned hard drive?

I'm betting it is something related to video. If you boot with -v, somewhere above the last line of text is there a line that says "DSMOS has arrived"? If so, it is hanging on video. Did you do something special to the original installation to work with your onboard video? Change any kexts? Use a special System Definition?

I'm betting it is something related to video. If you boot with -v, somewhere above the last line of text is there a line that says "DSMOS has arrived"? If so, it is hanging on video. Did you do something special to the original installation to work with your onboard video? Change any kexts? Use a special System Definition?

I didn't see DSMOS has arrived. Here is what occurred:
-The drive was cloned.
-I then tried mounting it in the new system and got a kernel panic. I saw the system definition was off showing MacMini which was setting for first board right before it crashed.
-I mounted the drive externally on another system and tried to run Multibeast with the system definition changed and the Nvidia 600 seris checkbox, audio 889 and nothing else. It failed giving me an error message that it wasn't ejected properly.
-It shows the proper system definition during the boot now.

Would it be helpful to mount the drive externally and screen share with iChat or something to get a look at it?
Any other ideas

I didn't see DSMOS has arrived. Here is what occurred:
-The drive was cloned.
-I then tried mounting it in the new system and got a kernel panic. I saw the system definition was off showing MacMini which was setting for first board right before it crashed.
-I mounted the drive externally on another system and tried to run Multibeast with the system definition changed and the Nvidia 600 seris checkbox, audio 889 and nothing else. It failed giving me an error message that it wasn't ejected properly.
-It shows the proper system definition during the boot now.

Would it be helpful to mount the drive externally and screen share with iChat or something to get a look at it?
Any other ideas

I'm not sure if graphic enabler = no ever took effect

Well, the other thing I'm thinking is that many people are not able to successfully install Mountain Lion over top of Snow Leopard. The better approach might be to take a clean drive and just install Mountain Lion. Use Multibeast to get it working perfectly. Then mount the cloned drive or the original drive via USB. Then go to the Utilities folder and run Migration Assistant to bring over your data files.

Well, the other thing I'm thinking is that many people are not able to successfully install Mountain Lion over top of Snow Leopard. The better approach might be to take a clean drive and just install Mountain Lion. Use Multibeast to get it working perfectly. Then mount the cloned drive or the original drive via USB. Then go to the Utilities folder and run Migration Assistant to bring over your data files.

This isn't over the top of Snow Leopard. it is a clone of a fresh ML installation which is working on the GA-z77-wifi. It might be that i need to change graphic enabler. Do you know the syntax for checking that and changing it if needed?
thanks,

Just type GraphicsEnabler=No or GraphicsEnabler=Yes during boot. When you find one that works, later you can update the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file with:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

Or use Yes in place of No if that is appropriate.

You might also try PCIRootUID=0 as in: -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back