Update Directly to macOS Big Sur

Got it working with Clover!

Intel i9-9900k
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 BIOS V.F15a
64GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000
Gigabyte RX Vega 64
Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 512GB
Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 + LG Ultrafine 5K

1. Updated clover to 5126 ...adding Quirks and install OcQuirks & OpenRuntime driver.
- Follow this guide on how to update clover so you can test first
- Follow this link for Quirks

2. Update macOS Big Sur directly from Catalina
Once it restart my mainboard can't detect internal hdd EFI anymore not sure why but I still have same EFI (clover 5126) on my usb so I use it to boot into Big Sur installer
Update went well but still can't boot into internal hdd EFI so I have to add it via Clover shell by follow this guide

Wifi card, USB Bluetooth Sound, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 work just fine.
The only thing I need to do is map USB by follow this guide as my usb port not working properly on Big Sur

I don't have time to try OC yet but I'll definitely move to OC as everyone recommended.

Updated:After upgraded to Big Sur, I can't install any app updates from the Mac AppStore right now .. still finding solution to fix it
To solve the App Store problem you should do a fresh install with oc
I did a direct update from Catalina to Big Sur with clover 5126. It worked without a problem and my machine was running normal without the App Store(couldn't install/download apps or updates and the password/keychain tab in safari wouldn't open and cause a safari crash). I then tried to migrate to opencore which didn't work because it seems the Big Sur installer messed something up - with opencore I could only see "Install Mac OS" and not the real Big Sur partition on boot. First I thought the opencore bootloader is set up wrong or but it was really the preinstalled partition that wouldn't work with opencore. I then installed Big Sur fresh with opencore on a new drive and everything works fine and even better then on clover(graphic glitches are gone). I don't know what exactly caused my problem but I would recommend to do a fresh installation with a opencore migration or you know what you are doing - not like me :lol::lol:.

While trying downloading Big Sur I get the message: “The requested version of macOS is not available”.
I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, latest software update 10.15.7 with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas.

When I try to update to Big Sur I get the message “The requested version of macOS is not available” And I see written your software is up to date 10.15.7

I’ve read on apple that Big Sur supports iMacs from 2014 and up. When I go to my hackintosh Catalina info I see written that I have iMac late 2013. I think that maybe the problem. Is there a way to configure in clover or somewhere else and set the information by changing it that I have iMac 2014?

While trying downloading Big Sur I get the message: “The requested version of macOS is not available”.
I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, latest software update 10.15.7 with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas.

When I try to update to Big Sur I get the message “The requested version of macOS is not available” And I see written your software is up to date 10.15.7

I’ve read on apple that Big Sur supports iMacs from 2014 and up. When I go to my hackintosh Catalina info I see written that I have iMac late 2013. I think that maybe the problem. Is there a way to configure in clover or somewhere else and set the information by changing it that I have iMac 2014?

Is there a way to configure in clover or somewhere else and set the information by changing it that I have iMac 2014?
Change your SMBIOS from iMac 14,2 to iMac 15,1 and then you can download BS.

Change your SMBIOS from iMac 14,2 to iMac 15,1 and then you can download BS.
When I open my config.plist with the latest clover configurator 5.17.1.0 it shows in the SMBIOS that I have iMac17,1 but the weird thing is on the desktop when I press the apple, about this Mac, system report: it is shows that I have: Model Identifier: iMac14,2 any solution for this how can I change that it will show also in about this Mac. system report Model Identifier: iMac17,1?

Last edited:
Success, all machines updates with clover 5126 , all ok except appstore no download apps.

I did a direct update from Catalina to Big Sur with clover 5126. It worked without a problem and my machine was running normal without the App Store(couldn't install/download apps or updates and the password/keychain tab in safari wouldn't open and cause a safari crash). I then tried to migrate to opencore which didn't work because it seems the Big Sur installer messed something up - with opencore I could only see "Install Mac OS" and not the real Big Sur partition on boot. First I thought the opencore bootloader is set up wrong or but it was really the preinstalled partition that wouldn't work with opencore. I then installed Big Sur fresh with opencore on a new drive and everything works fine and even better then on clover(graphic glitches are gone). I don't know what exactly caused my problem but I would recommend to do a fresh installation with a opencore migration or you know what you are doing - not like me :lol::lol:.

I had the same problem updating with Clover. Safari crash, download and update apps didn't work.
A liitle was missing to back to Catalina. Then tried OpenCore, it's took time to learn something again new, but everything works now perfectly. First time it's look complicated but it's not, it's simpler than Clover.

I met some problems with my last Clover update. (My Catalina Hackintosh refused to boot.) So I decided to replace Clover with OpenCore 0.6.3 after reading some replies on this post.

I followed the "Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide", step by step, not very difficult. (I must say it's much easier than Clover.) Just pay attention to pick the right kexts according to your hardware. (I just met some problems because I forgot the CtlnaAHCIPort.kext in order to use my SSD.)
Then I was able to boot again my Catalina.

After that, I simply launched the update to Big Sur from the App Store. 3 or 4 restarts later, it worked perfectly!

Thank you to Tonymacx86 and all the people in this forum!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-11-19 à 21.17.25.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-19 à 21.17.25.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Can any one advice me if my system info is sufficient enough for Big Sur ?
To be honest I have Been toying with buying a older iMac 27/2017 ish, but feel my current hackinosh will probably be better and way cheaper.. it just the mission of updating it!

Back