Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Big Sur

I updated it on my Mac Mini - and it’s UI design is feels - unclear, hard to read labels, grey colored buttons/labels all feels like disabled... now I don’t want to update to it. Done).
if you could update your hardware profile with hardware you have, that would be great :)

I used the dortiana build thread, along with a YouTube video by Chris Titus to make a OpenCore EFI directory. Much simpler than I expected. Everything works, but I still need to go back and config the USB ports properly, and I’m using the all USB kext, which isn’t the best way.

After I booted into Catalina successfully, I updated to Big Sur. It was a long install, but booted successfully without issue and everything still worked.

I’m not sure why I procrastinated so long on OpenCore. Much better experience than with Clover. The tools are all there to give you the exact files you need. No need for guessing, trial and error, or endless posting to the boards.

Updated my machine (Z370, i5-8400, GT-710) directly from the app store. Updated to OpenCore 0.6.3, then updated the kexts. Update went smooth. Everything works. Anything i should be looking out for?

if you could update your hardware profile with hardware you have, that would be great :)
My hardware is up to date. Just black screen in any situation, using RX580 now.

And on my actual Mac Mini 2018 it’s really bad UI design of the OS... first tim ever Apple did some wrong move.

I had switched to OC 0.6.0 from Clover 5119 a while back and loved how it worked. Did most of the Big Sur betas. Then upgraded to the release version and all is working on 0.6.0 still. My question, if working on 6.0 why the need to use 6.3?

Z390 Aorus Pro
Asus Rx 580
64G GSkill 3200 Ram
Samsung 860 Pro 256GB SSD

Got it working with Clover!

Intel i9-9900k
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 BIOS V.F15a
64GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000
Gigabyte RX Vega 64
Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 512GB
Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 + LG Ultrafine 5K

1. Updated clover to 5126 ...adding Quirks and install OcQuirks & OpenRuntime driver.
- Follow this guide on how to update clover so you can test first
- Follow this link for Quirks

2. Update macOS Big Sur directly from Catalina
Once it restart my mainboard can't detect internal hdd EFI anymore not sure why but I still have same EFI (clover 5126) on my usb so I use it to boot into Big Sur installer
Update went well but still can't boot into internal hdd EFI so I have to add it via Clover shell by follow this guide

Wifi card, USB Bluetooth Sound, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 work just fine.
The only thing I need to do is map USB by follow this guide as my usb port not working properly on Big Sur

I don't have time to try OC yet but I'll definitely move to OC as everyone recommended.

Updated:After upgraded to Big Sur, I can't install any app updates from the Mac AppStore right now .. still finding solution to fix it

Last edited:
Success!

Used a separate SSD as a test disk to iron out all the kinks.
Started with building OC 0.6.3 EFI folder, verified that it booted both Catalina and the Big Sur USB installer.
I then installed Big Sur from USB to my test SSD and checked for stability.
Made a few modifications to my already working Clover 5126 (Add CtlnaAHCIPort.kext in order to view SATA drives in Big sur and remove AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext from AirportBrcmFixup.kext to enable WIFI back). After that, Clover booted Big Sur flawlessly.

I then updated my main drive from Software Update.
The install went smoothly, except for the 3rd reboot, when I had to redirect it to boot from preboot and not the name of the drive. Also, had to research how to to make the preboot partition the default boot device (very annoying). I hope there's an update coming that will hide the preboot volume and let us boot the old way (At least visually).

Everything is working except a few glitches is audio:
1. System sounds distortion: Switched speakers output back and forth and it fixed that.
2. Whatsapp recordings, for some reason, although listening to music files sound is OK.

Also, when opening Clover Configurator (or OpenCore Configurator for that matter) and trying to scroll down the EFI mount list, it doesn't scroll. Works fine elsewhere. I guess we need to wait for updates.

Last edited:
I did a direct update from Catalina to Big Sur with clover 5126. It worked without a problem and my machine was running normal without the App Store .(I couldn't install/download apps or updates and the password/keychain tab in safari wouldn't open and cause a safari crash).

I then tried to migrate to OpenCore which didn't work because it seems the Big Sur installer messed something up - with OpenCore I could only see "Install Mac OS" and not the real Big Sur partition on boot. First I thought the OpenCore bootloader is set up wrong or but it was really the preinstalled partition that wouldn't work with OpenCore. I then installed Big Sur fresh with OpenCore on a new drive and everything works fine and even better then on Clover (graphic glitches are gone). I don't know what exactly caused my problem but I would recommend to do a fresh installation with a OpenCore migration or you know what you are doing - not like me :lol::lol:.

Back