Contribute
Register

un-tech savvie Trying to create a ITX dual boot hach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi peeps
I'm currently working with an old Mac Pro 17" 2011, I use it for Avid, FCP, Pre Pro, and Nuke. I'd say I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none but want to learn more and part of that is to build a ITX hack ( a little short of space to build a big ol' beast thats why the ITX case).
I've being googling away on here and everywhere trying to pick the right parts for my build and I'm hoping you guys can look at the parts I've picked and give me any advise on what I have chosen, any butter options and if they will even work together.

Corssair CC-90110047-WW Obsidian Series 250D case
Gigabyte GA-Z170N Wi-Fi Mothrboard
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8M Cashe, LGA1151
Crucial Balistic Sport LT DDR4, PC4-19200MHz 288-Pin, (2x8GB)
Corsair Hydro Series H60 All in one Liquid CPU Cooler, 120mm Radiator
Cool Master V650 - Compact 80 Plus gold Semi Modular power supply (could someone suggest another as this isn't available in Amazon)
Gforce GTX 960 - EVGA 04G-P$-3967-KR PCI Express Graphic Card
Samsung Evo 250GB X2 for dual boot with windows 10

I currently have an Eizo Monitor
wacom tab
Apple blu tooth mouth and standard Apple usb keyboard
Audio Focal usb 2.1 speakers

Any advise would be must appreciated!

Hi peeps
I'm currently working with an old Mac Pro 17" 2011, I use it for Avid, FCP, Pre Pro, and Nuke. I'd say I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none but want to learn more and part of that is to build a ITX hack ( a little short of space to build a big ol' beast thats why the ITX case).
I've being googling away on here and everywhere trying to pick the right parts for my build and I'm hoping you guys can look at the parts I've picked and give me any advise on what I have chosen, any butter options and if they will even work together.

Cool Master V650 - Compact 80 Plus gold Semi Modular power supply (could someone suggest another as this isn't available in Amazon)

wacom tab
You can use a 6700K with the Z170 N itx board but it will limit what you can do with your I7 "K" CPU. If you want to
overclock it at all I would go with this mini-itx instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128846
If you won't overclock you could just get the standard I7-6700 and an H170N motherboard. You will also have to swap out the Wifi card for one compatible with OS X if you will use the Wifi for your network choice.

Thanks so much for your advice trs96, really appreciate it! I'd like to give the overclocking a go (sure there are links on how to overclock) so will go with your choice of motherboard.
Could you or anyone advise on a compatible WiFi card for the GA- Z170N?

If you've got a GTX 960 in your one PCI-e slot where would you put this ?

You'll want to replace the existing Wifi/BT card by Intel that comes with the motherboard.

13-128-846-03.jpg

Thanks so much for your advice trs96, really appreciate it! I'd like to give the overclocking a go (sure there are links on how to overclock) so will go with your choice of motherboard.
Could you or anyone advise on a compatible WiFi card for the GA- Z170N?

I put this card in my GA-Z170N-WIFI - http://www.ebay.com/itm/262382314560

Also overclocked the 6700K to 4.6Ghz and it's running stable.

Hi peeps

wacom tab

For your system a 450W or 500W would be plenty, but you might try this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGI5M24/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi dcoulson - thanks for your ebayWiFi, I take a look at cost and shipping!

Going Bald - Don't worry so am I! ;) thanks for your advise on the on the power supply - great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back